Photos application... RUBBISH!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Nov 15, 2007.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I've only recently realised that iTunes optimises and scales all photos down to the exact screen resolution of the iPhone.

How stupid is this? What if you wanted high res images on there?? And what's the point of zooming in to a photo if it'll just end up getting blurry with no added pixel information??

Does anyone think that Apple might update iTunes to allow for un-optimised synching? Or maybe a future firmware upgrade to the iPhone itself?

Anyone know any jailbreaks or ways around this problem?

2. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, that's the way it works. It has been brought up in these forums many times. I suppose it's the downside of optimizing for a device with limited storage capacity.

--DotComCTO

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'd hardly call 8GBs limited for a phone. Too bad you really can't manage files on the phone to have the option to have a 5 meg photo on there for whatever reason one would want...even if it's just to store the photo/file.

4. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Surely an update to iTunes will fix this or something??

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

sadly the majority of users wouldnt understand a full-res setting and would fill up their iphone space then complain about it not having enough space.

6. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it's ridiculous. Surely they can update iTunes with a little 'Optimise images' tickbox??

For those of you that have an iPhone already, doesn't zooming on images make the photo look horrible and blurry?

If I save a .jpg file in Safari as a bookmark, will I be able to view that image full res and be able to zoom in on it? Or is it even possible to have a local bookmark, ie pointing to the jpg file in your iPhone?

Also I don't suppose jpgs show up in Windows explorer when you connect the iPhone right? As then it would be a simple case of replacing one jpg file with the larger one.

7. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Well I wanted to have a tube map on my phone so that I could use it whilst travelling around London, zoom in on it to see the stations names etc...

I uploaded a high res version and of course it disappointingly scaled it down. I've now had to upload 5 smaller cropped versions which I will have to flick between. - Frustrating.

I too don't see the point of the snazzy multitouch zoom when all you get is blur.

8. afd macrumors 6502a

could you save the jpeg as a pdf and email it to yourself? You seem to be able to zoom into PDFs quite easily. Just don't delete the email.

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

Good workaround.

10. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

But I've set up my iPhone only to hold latest 50 e-mails. How would I make it keep one e-mail and not the others?

11. jontucker macrumors 6502

Well, I've set up a second email account (with my own domain) to send email that I want to specifically keep on the iPhone. You could do the same with GMail or something!?

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Ah, you've not got one, yet are confident that the photos app on it is "rubbish". Hmm.

There's a full article on how the photo syncing to iPhone and iPod works here. Apparently it transfers several sizes of image to the iPhone, including a thumbnail, a full-screen version and a larger version for TV display. On mine you can zoom in a fair way on photos (at least 2 x magnification) before it starts to look pixellated, which would tie in with there being a larger-than-iPhone-screen version on there.

13. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, well if that's the case then there's not too big a problem. Sorry I just heard that it resizes all photos to iPhone screen res so automatically thought it was rubbish.

Didn't realise it transfered 3 different versions... - the tv display one is probably twice as big as the 320x480 version.

Phew, and thanks for the info

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

I was just in London and wanted the same thing, a tube map on the phone. Take a pdf of the map, then run it through The URI Kitchen. Put the bookmark in Safari, then you have it for quick viewing...and you can zoom in! I found the email solution didn't work very well if I didn't have internet access at the time (it never seems to download the images to the phone).

15. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Well, here's what I got:

www.jebaloo.com/tubemap.html
    (paste the contained text into your browser)

How does this help me? Don't I still need to be connected to the internet to view this?

16. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, surely you'd need the internet to view that. Does the iPhone do offline browsing?

17. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

not as far as I know.

18. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again for this reply. Do you have any idea what resolution the TV version of the image is? Probably about twice the size as the original I'd think?

19. alFR macrumors 68020

Don't know for sure: different places on the web estimate anywhere between 640 x 480 and 1900 x 1200 (on the basis that's the same size as the internal camera takes).

20. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. ajl917 macrumors 6502

An app on Installer named SendPics enables you to send full resolution pics through email...

22. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can't you just email yourself full res photos the normal way and pick them up in Mail?

23. ajl917 macrumors 6502

No, this app gives you a thumbnail, tap it, hit email, and then it will send full res pics to anyone...

24. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh right, my problem was that I wanted to view my own high res pics (from my computer) on the iPhone.

25. svenito macrumors member