Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Hello

Basically what the title says.
I am looking at a picture in Library > All Photos and trying to find a way to know which albums it has been saved in. Is this possible without looking through each album individually? This would be very cumbersome.
I am using Apple Photos in macOS Sonoma.

Thank you.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I don't think so. Given that it's powered by a database behind the scenes, these sorts of queries would be easy to implement, but Apple doesn't give us the tools to do so. Kind of frustrating.

I backup everything to Google Photos (standard quality) and it's much easier to find/sort there if I need something specific.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You can create a shortcut to do this. Use the 'Select photos' action to open a Photos browser to select a photo, then show an alert to list all the albums the selected photo is in. This shortcut will need to be pinned to the menu bar or added to the dock and ran from there, as if it was an app. (Or run it from the Shortcuts app or keyboard shortcut.)

1714446412758.png

The above should also work on iPhones/iPads, but I tweaked it a little differently for those devices. Here, I configured the shortcut to run from the Share Sheet. This means I can run it directly from the photo I'm viewing in the Photos app. (This shortcut does not work properly on the Mac though.)

1714446885152.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.