Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just days after a report claiming Apple supplier Quanta Computer has begun ramping up production of the upcoming 12-inch MacBook Air, Chinese site iFanr shares some photos [Google Translate] of what it says is the display assembly for the machine (via SlashGear).

macbook_air_12_display_1.jpg
The photos depict the claimed display and metal shell from the upcoming 12-inch machine alongside both a 13-inch MacBook Pro and a 9.7-inch iPad, with its sizing appearing to measure up to previously reported dimensions. The display does, however, have two noticeable differences from current MacBook Air. First, instead of a backlit Apple logo on the back of the display assembly as is typically seen on Apple's notebooks, there is a polished metal logo more like those seen on iPads, with iFanr speculating the change could be tied to the device's thinness.

macbook_air_12_display_3.jpg
Additionally, the display lacks the grey bezels current MacBook Air models have, instead opting for an apparently all-glass edge-to-edge cover for the display as seen on Retina MacBook Pro models. Paired with black bezels underneath, it is difficult to see where the display ends and the bezels begin unless the screen is turned on. Earlier renderings of the 12-inch MacBook Air based on information from within Apple had shown gray bezels similar to those seen on the current MacBook Air.

macbook_air_12_display_2.jpg
Claimed 12-inch MacBook Air display assembly with 13" MacBook Pro
The 12-inch MacBook Air will reportedly have roughly the same footprint as the 11-inch MacBook Air, relying on smaller bezels to compensate for a larger display size. The comparison photos shown by iFanr demonstrate the significantly smaller footprint for the 12-inch machine compared to a 13-inch MacBook Pro

12inchmacbookair2.jpg
Claimed 12-inch MacBook Air display assembly with 9.7-inch iPad
The next-generation MacBook Air is expected to feature a high-resolution display (perhaps classified as Retina) and new Broadwell Core M processors that will enable a thin, fanless design. Other reports have claimed the 12-inch MacBook Air will do away with nearly all the ports typically found on Apple's line of MacBooks, offering only a headphone jack, a pair of microphones, and a USB Type-C port that may handle both charging and external connectivity.

Article Link: Photos of 12-Inch MacBook Air Display Show Black Glass Cover, Polished Apple Logo

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
First, instead of a backlit Apple logo on the back of the display assembly as is typically seen on Apple's notebooks, there is a polished metal logo more like those seen on iPads...

That just breaks my heart.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Would it have killed them to take photos of the ports??????

It literally might have. Literally.

Anyway, this is likely legit, and looking like good good response to Dell's stunning new XPS 13. I got to play with one and it's just in a league of its own right now in the ultraportable space. This new 12" MBA will have to be something pretty special to compete (OS aside).

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
How can you ditch the light up Apple logo? That's almost iconic when you see a apple notebook, that sucks if true, not very innovative on ditching the light up Apple

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I reckon the 12" retina screens are for this and not an iPad Pro. Don't think an iPad pro even exists.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Hmmm, such a strange product.

11.6in MBA, 13.3in MBA, 13.xin rMBP, 15in rMBP

So throw in a 12in rMBA with less functionality (ports) than the MBA? Are they just going to nix the current MBAs? I'm so confused. Who's the target demographic?

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Less SD card slots than a Macbook Air. Lame.
The MBA11 doesn't have an SD card slot. This machine is the same size as a MBA11, except thinner.

Besides, SD card slots are so yesterday. Everyone lives on the cloud today....

...except for me, since I am stuck with 2 MB/sec DSL way out in the country....

...except for me on an airplane or a ferry...

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
looks like a great size for portability and usage.
I'm still using my 2011 13" MBA it's the best laptop I've ever owned. This 12" Air will be its replacement IF the keyboard is stretched edge to edge like the display. I've tried typing on the 11" MBA keyboard and the keys are way too crammed together. It's frustrating. I'll also have to see the 12" display in person and see if it's too small, again the 11" is far too small this 13" is just right. I'm also leery of buying revision A Apple products...

I'm hoping for the best! :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Hmmm, such a strange product.

11.6in MBA, 13.3in MBA, 13.xin rMBP, 15in rMBP

So throw in a 12in rMBA with less functionality (ports) than the MBA? Are they just going to nix the current MBAs? I'm so confused. Who's the target demographic?

I would imagine the ultimate goal is to ditch the current MBAs, but just like the with the MBPs, they'll continue to sell the older models for some time and gradually shift people over as pricing and required technology comes into line.

With the MBP getting thinner and lighter in the move to Retina, it makes sense to give the Air "more Air".

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
How can you ditch the light up Apple logo? That's almost iconic when you see a apple notebook, that sucks if true, not very innovative on ditching the light up Apple

How would doing something the same be innovative?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.