Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
A world map to display all places photos were taken, just as was in Aperture and iPhoto...
The ability to batch edit, as some have said;
The ability to batch lift and apply/paste adjustments, as in Aperture.

Also, the ability to show a list-view of photos and sort by a category of the user's choosing--like date added or modified, size, file name, etc.--just as it works in iTunes and just as was possible in Aperture.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Is there another software app that is more suitable then Photos? It seems to me that many Apple users, gravitate to the inbuilt Apple app, when thats merely one option of many. This thread should read "What other photo app does it all"

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
2) when you drag & drop a named folder of photos from the Finder into iPhoto, it would automatically create an Album (and Event) with the same name as the folder to contain the imported pics. Now in Photos, this handy organizational feature is lost - drag a folder and no Album is created, you must afterwards then manually create and name a new album and group photos if you want to organize beyond just chronologically (and of course we lost Events, but I can live without that)

This is annoying. I just updated to Yosemite and I thought it was a bug. I didn't know it was a feature deficit.

----------

I'd quite like the ability to just upload my favourited pictures to iCloud photos. My library is over 300GB and would take years to upload them all otherwise!

Can you post a screenshot of that option? All I see is an all or nothing check mark.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Bonjour Sharing

Bring back local network sharing!! I loved that feature. One photo library for all to share in the house. I have no desire to put my many gigabytes of photos out on the Internet just access them on a different machine in the same house. Or go through the tediousness of manually managing cloud space...It just worked. :(

EvilMatty

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
A world map to display all places photos were taken, just as was in Aperture and iPhoto...
The ability to batch edit, as some have said;
The ability to batch lift and apply/paste adjustments, as in Aperture.

Also, the ability to show a list-view of photos and sort by a category of the user's choosing--like date added or modified, size, file name, etc.--just as it works in iTunes and just as was possible in Aperture.

No way to edit location data - but world map view is still there - just click on a Moment name to bring up a big map.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
No way to edit location data - but world map view is still there - just click on a Moment name to bring up a big map.

Not interested in editing location data--just more elaborate options for setting black point, mono chroming in particular colors, things related to that kind of editing.

I should have more clearly written:

"A world map to display all places all photos were taken, just as was in Aperture and iPhoto..."

I really want that feature...I can't see how this app can fit the niche of a personal photo managing app without that map...for anyone who travels it is great to see the dots on all of the cities you've taken photos in...

Last edited:

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
- World map
- Geotagging
- More control in 'Photos' view.
- Fixed Info panel
- Ability to trigger map within Albums, not just Photos.
- Mouse not 'hiding' properly.

I'm amazed nobody at Apple during development thought these features were important or necessary. World Map is arguably one of the highlights of Aperture/iPhoto and the pop-out info panel is clumsy and obstructs the image itself, the last thing you want in photography-based software.

Also unless you turn off the default 'summarise photos' option in preferences it's impossible to get a full map view of an event, absolutely stupid.

I will concede that that UI itself is nicer than iPhoto, I'm glad that 'cork' background is gone from Faces in iPhoto :eek: It's just so flimsy in it's basic Photo management features.

Last edited:

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
And I forgot this little gem.. What about third-party plugin support?!
:D

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Google Photos was a bombshell.

"Search sunset" and it shows all photos taken during sunset. "Search john appleseed january 2015 car" and it shows the shot with John Appleseed and a car".

This is intelligent keywording done smartly via AI. This is what Apple should put a bunch of money into. I want it. I need it. And I don´t want to let google have my pictures. I hope someone at Apple is paying attention.

dihuta

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015

"Search sunset" and it shows all photos taken during sunset. "Search john appleseed january 2015 car" and it shows the shot with John Appleseed and a car".

This is intelligent keywording done smartly via AI. This is what Apple should put a bunch of money into. I want it. I need it. And I don´t want to let google have my pictures. I hope someone at Apple is paying attention.

Google Photo is only a Cloud Photo. We have more than a Photo Editor here.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

Put simply, Apple cannot do it. Google has data from billions of image searches that have helped its AI learn about different objects.

When millions of people go on Google Images and search for a yellow cat and pictures of tigers also show up, they're going to select the pictures that most closely resemble a yellow cat and much less frequently select those tiger pictures. Eventually, Google's AI learns to omit pictures of tigers and gets to know exactly what a yellow cat looks like.

Apple has no way of acquiring this kind of data. There aren't even any companies they can buy to remotely approximate Google's massive data on images. If you thought Apple Maps was bad when it started up, you ain't seen anything. In that case, Apple could at least buy data from well established mapping companies. There isn't any company on Earth that has billions of image searches contributing to its accuracy. You could have a team of hundreds of interns working full time sorting out images and you couldn't get close to Google's user base of the entire world Googling images all day and all night.

I'm a big Apple fan but even I have to admit that it's a lost cause.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I think apple could make a start. If anyone has a shot, it's apple and it's still very early days of the Internet. The face defection in photos is good so I can't imagine it being a big technological feat

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
I think apple could make a start. If anyone has a shot, it's apple and it's still very early days of the Internet. The face defection in photos is good so I can't imagine it being a big technological feat

And they should. Invest heavily in AI for photos and videos. Make progress, they must lead the way. I fully understand their stance on privacy and love Apple because of it. But there are ways they could apply AI here without intruding on privacy.

I realize Photos is an infant at 1.0, but I know great things are coming. I absolutely love Photos already, its way beyond my expectations as a v1 release. Can´t wait to get 1.1.

agentsmithone

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
California
I don't understand that in a time when Apple is separating apps from the OS such as Podcast from Music app it has added Photos, its iPhoto replacement, into OS X. I really think it would be best if Photos were a separate App Store download along with iWork and iLife apps. It's frustrating to some users I've noticed over lost features, though I personally don't mind it—least of all Photos won't be able to drag down the App Store rating for OS X Yosemite any more.

Wishlist:
Batch editing/resizing photos
More & third party filters
Robust customizations for editing slideshows and movies

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Syncing of Smart Albums. I can't believe they missed this.

Ability to Geotag Photos.

Ability to rename photos and let me fine what is. I like renaming my files the way Dropbox does it in Camera Uploads so that's how I have all my files named (I use LR preset for non mobile pics).

Faces. Frankly this is a pain in the ass with Apple. Google Photos just had it done and it just worked. Stop making me do all the work Apple.

Machine Learning and Auto create albums. Again, see Google Photos.

Why is there an album for Hidden Photos??? Talk about being obvious!

100GB iCloud option. I need more than 20GB, but I don't need anywhere close to 200GB's.

Fix editing. I should just be able to arrow to the next pic. Not be taken back to the photo.

Release updates when they are available and stop depending on the next OS release.

flitter

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Is anyone on the El Capitan beta able to comment on whether any of the features in this thread are in? I hear geotagging is there...

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Buttersyscrollin, can you keep us updated on what is new? You seem like you are deep into Photos.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
In iPhoto I could drag the photo straight to Photoshop. I would like this in Photos, thank you. (Editing in external editor would be almost as nice, but dragging the UNRESIZED photo to Photoshop would just simplify my life so much.)

Also, if an intern could sit for an hour and design an interface for it, that would be very cool, every time I see it I have a feeling it's a DP beta that hasn't been skinned because nobody had time for that.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

avflinsch

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
What I want - Everything that Aperture has
External edit
Ability to use all of my import/export/edit plugins
All of my aperture presets
Events

Reactions: JackRoch

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Presets and the ability to apply same editing styles to photos aka Lightroom would be great.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Looks like we are getting Geotagging, improved search, Screenshot album and Selfie album. That´s about it for El Capitan so far. Wish they added more, but by the looks of its done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.