Pick 2 Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I now have 3 macs and only need 2. Money is not a concern but I would like to sell one before it loses value due to the fact they are are similar specs. Events which are rather depression led to me having an extra mac which would you sell?

1) MBP 2.2 C2D, 2 gigs of ram led 15 display matte screen
    2) MB black 2.0 C2D, 1 gig of ram new battery
    3) iMac new 20 inch alu, 2 gigs of ram

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I think that kind of depends on how you use your computers.

If it were me I would sell one of the notebooks.

3. The Hammer macrumors regular

#2. The MB black.

4. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

No heaving lifting, I have to have 1 notebook to use in my family room.

5. NEiMac macrumors regular

Im thinking macbook too. Hard choice you have there though, I love my old macbook.

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

Can't say. It depends what you need and want to be able to do in the near future.

7. muldul macrumors 6502

I would get rid of the pro, as you have the iMac for all the heavy lifting and the macbook for the portability side

8. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I'll say it again. It really is dependent on what you use your computers for, but I would say that the MBP and the iMac is a great setup. But if you need a larger screen or more portability, then there are choices to be made between the MB and MBP.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sell the macbook pro. Also it has an nvidia gpu so kill 2 birds with 1 stone type of deal.

10. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

whats wrong with the nvidia gpu?

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I was just about to say that.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmm.. I have read reports about the nVidia GPUs, but this isn't the case here. The OP wants to know which mac to sell before it loses value. I'd have to say the BlackBook since it is older and 1GB of memory. Also, the MBP and the iMac is a pretty good setup. By all means, choose a notebook. Having two doesn't make sense. Keep the iMac and decide on which notebook.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If it was me, I would keep one notebook, and the desktop. I like the MBP better than the MB, so I would say sell the Black MB...

15. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well...I suggest looking on the MacBook Pro forum section. nVidia recently (over a month ago) stated that many of their chips (including the 8600 in the MBP) are faulty and have very high failure rates. Dell and HP have both acknowledged the problem and have released firmware updates and extended warranties for the issue. Its a pretty big issue now because it has been said that the chips that are affected are from the 6000 series to the current 9000 series...

17. shdowman macrumors member

iMac for more screen real estate when you need it and heavy lifting. MBP for portability and some heavy lifting.....sell the MB

Now is a good time to sell a macbook as well as a lot of future students are looking for one.

The MBP is not THAT much heavier/bigger than the MB and the MBP hase more power and nicer screen.

my 2 copper

18. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

tough call.

people said sell one of the notebooks, but if you have a nice external monitor in the house you could use it with the MBP and use the MP in the living room. This would mean selling the iMac. Then when the Mac Pro is updated you could sell the MBP and get that!

Whatever you do, you have 3 kicka$$ macs and you can't go wrong.

19. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

read all the articles about the gpu, makes me a little nervous. also read some rumors about a macbook redesign. seems like everyone advises to sell one of the notebooks? Any more advice? I appreciate it.

20. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Out of the ones listed, I'd say keep the first two and get rid of option nr. 3. And up the ram on nr. 2 :)

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest (as shdowman pointed out) to sell the MB - college and school are due to start shortly and there will be no shortage of potential buyers for an excellent notebook at a reasonable price.

Re MBP, and nVidia, I'm a recent switcher and delighted owner of a MBP; it is a terrific machine and gives you portability and excellent spec. Thus far, (touch wood) I have experienced no problems re the nVidia, but my understanding is that as long as one has warranty/Applecare one should be fine should such things go pear-shaped and should the warranty need to be invoked, that it would be honoured. In any case, when my first two iPods died within warranty they were replaced without a murmur, and without seeking refuge in contractual small-print; it as one of the main reasons I switched. Cheers and good luck with college.

22. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

value

Any more comments. I think I could get the following:

1) MBP $1,200
    2) MB $700
    3) iMac 800

23. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Sell the Macbook.

Any more comments. I think I could get the following:

1) MBP $1,200
    2) MB $700
    3) iMac 800

Or sell both the Macbook and iMac and get yourself a spanking new more powerful iMac when you can afford it. :)

24. shdowman macrumors member

I actually sold my MBP after getting a hell of a deal on a macbook.

Now I am using money to buy a new iMac and couldn't be happier.

But my suggestion still stands.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought four Macs this year, an iMac, MBP, a black MB and a Mac Pro. I'm gonna sell the two laptops because really, I have too many computers here and my addiction to spending money got the best of me this year. I'll keep the two desktops because I use them the most. Besides, I still have two Windows laptops that I use daily. I have way too many computers.

So, keep your desktops, sell the laptops unless you really need one for traveling.