Picked up a 2014 13" for 700$. Few questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Previse, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Previse macrumors member

Hey guys,

Managed to pickup a brand new in box 13" base model 2014 air for 701$ via best buy. The 100$ off and 10% movers coupon + student discount brought it to 6 and change without tax. Couldn't turn it down lol

Anyways, I've got a L2013 rMBP with a speck clearshell which i LOVE how it works.

Although seeing reviews apparently the air isn't good with a speck clearshell. Any suggestions/reviews? I'd like some insight before i buy a case for my MBA.

Thanks!

2. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Sorry if I don't answer your question but how did you get that Macbook air for 701 again? I know about the Best Buy $100 discount, have a student discount, but what is the movers 10% discount?

Btw, I personally don't use a case on my own Macbook. I see no real reason to.

3. Previse thread starter macrumors member

To the movers discount - Go to your local USPS and ask for a "movers package" or "Change of address package" you'll get an envelope with a 10% best buy coupon which stacks with the student discount.

To the case - Why not? it's aluminum it scratches/dents easy.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never used a case on any of my PowerBooks or MacBook Pros. The aluminum isn't THAT easy to scratch or dent.

Then again, I've never used a case on any of my iPods, iPhones or iPads either.

5. Previse thread starter macrumors member

but for 20$ and 1/4 an inch why not just protect it? Idk maybe thats just how i am.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I personally don't like the bulk that it adds to the computer and I can live with a minor scratch or dent if they do happen. In the end I don't usually sell my old Macs, they get handed down to my parents.

7. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Was just going to post a thread like this as I just left Best Buy with the 11inch model.

Yay to us!

I was looking at decalgirl for skins for protection and wondered what everyone else is using? I am very careful with my devices but also have OCD where I dont want to scratch it of course.

Whats everyone using?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have a clear Speck case on my MacBook Pro without issue. On older Airs I found it made the hinge too easy to move. I recommend the Speck case and not a third party brand simply due to the warranty and the thinness of the plastic.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got one of those yesterday before I saw the student discount. So it was $900. I'm hoping I can get a price match or something done. $899 on the 13-inch is great. Another $150 off is unbelievable.

I'm loving it so far. Battery life seems to be what's advertised. It's SO much lighter than my Gateway notebook I got a couple of years ago. Still learning some tricks since this is my secondary Mac to my iMac, but I've got a lot of stuff synced via icloud already. Sounds like Yosemite will make my experience even better. In fact, already got the triple threat when my mom called over FaceTime. Phone, iPad and MBA all started ringing right in front of me.

10. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Don't put an ugly case on your beautifully engineered and crafted machine! Just buy a sleeve to pull it in an out of when you need it :)

11. jera84 macrumors newbie

Did you get this at the store or online? I purchased the deal yesterday but just checked and have a movers coupon as well. The student discount says it cannot be combined with any other coupon - how did you do it?

12. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I have a Gelaskin (custom artwork) on the lid of my 13" MBA and I use a Hershel sleeve (black with brown leather) to carry it. Once you have a decent sleeve a simple messenger bag will suffice for transporting it. My messenger bag of choice is the Colcasac "Jack Bauer" model. Simple design, sheepskin-style lining, light and small.

13. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

There's no need for a case for your computer if you take care of it properly. My 2012 MBA still looks brand new because I keep it clean and when I have to transport it around I keep it in a nice little compact sleeve which provides just enough cushion to prevent anything else from scratching or denting it in a bag.

14. Dweez, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I use a black Speck case on my 2013 13" and will be swapping it out with something else soon. 2 of the 4 'clips' which hold the bottom case to the chassis have broken. I take very good care of this piece of hardware, but it is my travel machine and things happen.

My preference is a hardshell, as it will take the dings & possible scratches vs the aluminum.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have used a case on my iPad, and always on my iPods, but never on an Apple computer, and I have had the MBP and more recently, different MBAs.

As others have already pointed out, the computers are made from aluminium, and, if properly looked after, are perfectly fine. Mine are transported in a briefcase, when moving from anywhere to anywhere else, but other than than that, they receive no protection.

On a few occasions, just to see if the original - rather beguiling - video of the late Mr Jobs unveiling the original MBA and sliding it into an A4 sized envelope to prove how portable the thing was (and is), I actually have used an A4 padded envelope on my MBA and it worked perfectly.

Now, granted, I have actually bought protection for my MBAs - a BookBook leather cover from Twelve South, and another leather cover from Saddleback but ended up giving them away when I gifted one MBA to my brother, and sold another to a colleague as I found the leather covers too heavy, bulky, greedy for space in my briefcase, and, frankly, actually quite unnecessary.

16. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Ordered a sleeve from Amazon for $9 that will go into my bag at work. I just didnt want it naked in my bag and wanted minimal covering.

I dont want to change the beautiful look of the device when it is out and being used.

17. 960design macrumors 68020

I agree with the skin instead of a case. The skin makes it less 'slippery' and easier to hold on to.

18. Previse thread starter macrumors member

In regards to the questions -

$999 normal 13 inch base price
    $899 sale

-$150 student - $750
    -$75 from 10% off coupon
    675$
    -3.5% sales tax

Comes out to $698.62 for a 13 inch base 2014 MBA

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So you got duped into buying a computer you don't really need?

20. Previse thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea what this is getting at. But sure.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I picked up an 11.6" 128GB MBA @ Best Buy. A perfect time to trade in my Surface 2, out the door with the MBA for $450.

I'm very impressed with the hardware... a little larger than my iPad 4 (and Surface 2). Installed some of my "critical" apps like iWork '09, and the Windows version of e-Sword (WINE runs well and is quite snappy). After installing various fonts, additional software and tools... I still have 95 GB free.

I've got a 64GB nano USB thumbdrive that will stick out of a USB port ever so slightly so that will give me plenty of room.

If anyone is on the fence and can take advantage of the .edu discount (as well as maybe trading in some unused/unneeded devices) now is a good time, IMO.

They seem to be flying off store shelves. The local Best Buy sold out of their units within a day, so I ended up taking the wife out for a nice drive and dinner to the next nearest Best Buy... by the time I got there, I bought the 2nd to the last that they had.

22. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Congrats!
    My Best Buy had seen them flying off the shelves too and I went in at 830 and they close at 9 on Monday.

Luckily I got one and with the edu discount, moving discount, and I sold my ipad4 I couldnt pass this amazing deal up.

23. morvin777 macrumors newbie

How long do we think this offer is going to last?

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The $100 off deal will probably end by end-of-business Saturday evening.
    I don't know for sure, but at the rate they're selling they'll be gone before even then.

25. Rhyno37 macrumors regular

I really don't understand how you got the deal. The student coupon says $150 off REGULAR price, not sale. So it'd be $150 off $999 not sale price $899. And the coupon says it won't work with other offers/deals.