Picked up a new 2011 MBP 15" ($1,799 model) for $1,080 today!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chodite, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Chodite, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Customer bought a new 15" MBP i7 2.0 Ghz quad core ($1,799) this morning from my local Best Buy. He returned it hours later, claiming "the operating system is too different.. don't like it."

It was placed back on the shelf as an "open box item", priced at just $1,080. A Best Buy customer service person mistankingly thought it was the 13" i5 and marked it down 10% from the 13" retail price.

I saw it just minutes after it was brought out and snatched it up immediately. After 2 manager approvals for the price override (and a potentially fired BB employee?), I'm a proud owner of a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" i7, for under $1,100!

The question I have is - the 13" i7 which I purchased from the Apple Store just 2 days ago, can I return that and avoid a re-stocking fee?

2. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Nice pickup. You may return your Apple purchased laptop without a restocking fee as Apple no longer charges for restocking.

3. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yeah, and the icing on that cake is that someone is fired because of your purchase Win/win.

Kudos

4. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Your tears of jealousy taste so sweeeeet - Cartman

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

6. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

No. The icing on the cake is that I'm not going to be charged a re-stocking fee. The icing on THAT icing is that I got the MBP that I originally desired.

As far as the Best Buy botch - if I wasn't going to buy it for the price I got it for, the next guy would have.

And he didn't get fired. Lighten up.

7. CC424 macrumors regular

Damn, I wish I could price match that! Lucky you.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

You post, you take the heat.

You knew it was an employee screwup, and that at LEAST someone will suffer. You said so yourself. Then you post here and expect congrats from everyone. Yeah maybe.

But not from me :D

Would I do it myself. Frankly, I don't know what i'd do on the spur of the moment.....maybe....maybe not good/evil. If I did, I'd come here and post hoping for congrats to ease a pretty guilty conscience. Ring a bell?

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Spur of the moment is spur of the moment

CONGRATS! :D

10. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

You are a bad person. I believe this is illegal because you were aware of the issue.

11. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

LOL I couldn't be happier. Best Buy took a slight hit to today's PCHO budget. They were already at 115% on the day. They'll be fine. And again, I spoke with all parties involved (including the GM and the kid who mis-priced the MBP) who are hardly sweating it. "Evil" is a stretch...

12. st0p. macrumors newbie

Actually, not only is it legal, but it would have been ILLEGAL for BestBuy to refuse to sell him the computer at the price they advertised.

Congrats to OP; great deal

13. lurrego macrumors member

I'm def. jealous about this one! congrats! now use what you saved to max that puppy out!:D

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It was not advertised, but the marked price. Legality varies from state to state. In my state it is not necessary for a seller to honor a price when it is found to truly be a pricing error and they will post a loss on the sale. Most stores will eat the loss, as long as it is not overly huge to maintain good customer relations but are in no way obligated to do so.

15. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Congrats on the purchase. It is awesome to read about people grabbing unbelievable deals once in a while. Now, I'm going to make sure that I frequently visit my local BestBuy & keep a big eye on any open-box Mac deal! :D

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

There is NO basis for this in court. That is up to Best Buy. They didn't have to match that price you know, hence two manager approvals.

17. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Last year, the day before Thanksgiving I scored a 2009 Model 21.5" iMac for only $600 open box item. I was stoked, although it was a 2009 model, where else could I possibly find one at that price? Thanks to Best Buy!

18. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Absolutely. They did not have to sell the notebook at that price. By doing so they showed good customer service. The OP did nothing wrong at all. He found their error and they stood by the lower price. Nice buy, enjoy!

19. johnnyturbouk, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    lol that was really a goodbuy,...crafty bugger

as for evil.........:rolleyes:
    hardly!

i doubt that employee would be sacked, as the sale was sanctioned by, as you stated, 2 managers!

if ppl think this is evil,,, what would you do when u ever see the real world and the screwd up things happening all around us???

20. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

21. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Someone who saved over $700 on a new Macbook Pro.

22. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Thats what I was thinking if he had just found it maybe not but since he knew the value and mistake etc but in the end BB could have just refused the sale.

23. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I shop there from time to time as well. Don't think theyre bad.

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

Seriously? You are worried about Best Buy? You realize they are a retailer, not some person. They have no problem selling "hi-speed" $99 HDMI cables to people or charging $100 to plug in a router, err I mean set up a home network.

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

oh ya, it's totally the OPs fault. :rolleyes:

good job OP.