Picked up the new MBA 2019 - You're not missing much

Cosmo M3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
If you already have the 2018 model, it's not worth the upgrade. I returned my 2018 for the new 2019 and the upgraded keyboard is barely perceivable, but it may be more reliable.

Note: BestBuy had three of the new MBA 2019s in stocks in Space Gray when I checked my store's inventory on their website prior to going over there to exchange my MBA 2018. They had to check their back warehouse for a good 20-30 minutes to find them, but they definitely have them.

Update: I don't know what it is, but since using the keyboard this morning to type this update, it feels nicer than the 2018 model that I've had. Time will tell on how reliable it will be.

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
How did you get one? They're not in stores yet. And today was the first day they started shipping, I think.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Scissors switch may ultimately be more stable than butterfly switches. But we need some time to tell.
With that being said, your mileage may vary.

Cosmo M3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
How did you get one? They're not in stores yet. And today was the first day they started shipping, I think.
Best Buy had them in stock (check their website and you should see it in their inventory). I just got back from exchanging my 2018.

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
They are switching to scissor switch for sure. If not in MacBook Air 2019, it will be in 2020.
I know ifixit will tell us more on this one.
what?? the 2019 air is out

The latest-generation MacBook Air keyboard features our butterfly mechanism — providing four times more key stability than a traditional scissor mechanism, along with greater comfort and responsiveness. And individual LED-backlit keys with an ambient light sensor help you type in low-light environments.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
what?? the 2019 air is out

The latest-generation MacBook Air keyboard features our butterfly mechanism — providing four times more key stability than a traditional scissor mechanism, along with greater comfort and responsiveness. And individual LED-backlit keys with an ambient light sensor help you type in low-light environments.
Top-notch fresh ads here, good job. /s

Reactions: Saturn007

nobackup

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Did the screen max brightness change as it will be a different screen to support True Tone

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
If you already have the 2018 model, it's not worth the upgrade. I returned my 2018 for the new 2019 and the upgraded keyboard is barely perceivable, but it may be more reliable.

Note: BestBuy had three of the new MBA 2019s in stocks in Space Gray when I checked my store's inventory on their website prior to going over there to exchange my MBA 2018. They had to check their back warehouse for a good 20-30 minutes to find them, but they definitely have them.

Update: I don't know what it is, but since using the keyboard this morning to type this update, it feels nicer than the 2018 model that I've had. Time will tell on how reliable it will be.
Is the 2019 MBA the one with the new Keyboard? I'm confused. What's the difference between MBA 2018 and MBA 2019?

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Is the 2019 MBA the one with the new Keyboard? I'm confused. What's the difference between MBA 2018 and MBA 2019?
I know nobody mentioned this but 2019 has a smaller battery at 49.9 watt-hr compared to 50.3 watt-hr from 2018. I honestly don't understand why they had to shrink the battery size.

Cost cutting measure? To make room for the true tone feature or butterfly keys v4 or cheaper ssd taking up more volume than the 2018 counterpart? I don't know.

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
fun fact that you probably already knew: if you would have had an issue with the keyboard on your '18 air, they would have replaced it with the '19 keyboard for free anyway. So you could have saved your money and not noticed a difference. I actually turn True Tone off on my devices and slower ssd's isn't exactly a perk so the '19 air to me would have been a definite downgrade.

In the future, I'll probably just go ahead and pick up a 13 inch pro since its not that much more anyway and feels about the same size

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
I know nobody mentioned this but 2019 has a smaller battery at 49.9 watt-hr compared to 50.3 watt-hr from 2018. I honestly don't understand why they had to shrink the battery size.

Cost cutting measure? To make room for the true tone feature or butterfly keys v4 or cheaper ssd taking up more volume than the 2018 counterpart? I don't know.

Means the battery will be shorter on each full charge. It aint lowering its marked price though ...

Saturn007

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
“and the upgraded keyboard is barely perceivable,“

Wow! Apple's design are amazing. Thinness has gone so far that they've neared achieving the *invisible* keyboard!

This is the main sticking point for sure. We do not know anything about the scissor switches (which aren't out yet), but it's not a given they will be better.
Pun intended?! “Main sticking point”! LOL!

Reactions: AustinIllini

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
“and the upgraded keyboard is barely perceivable,“

Wow! Apple's design are amazing. Thinness has gone so far that they've neared achieving the *invisible* keyboard!

Pun intended?! “Main sticking point”! LOL!
Invisible keyboard might as well you live on with iPad or iPhone it is indeed an invisible keyboard. The point people takes up MacBook part of it because of faster and more real physical typing experience.