Picking the Tangerines and Apples

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Gamer9430, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Gamer9430, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

At long last... I'm finally a proud Clamshell owner! The coveted and unique laptop has found its way into my home. This Clamshell is a 300MHz 1999 Tangerine model, with maxed out 576MB RAM and a 6GB original HDD. It was running 9.2.1, however, one of the extensions was causing the computer not to boot up, so I just decided to start fresh with a whole new installation of 9.2.1. The G3 was previously used in a school and was bought by someone on 68kMLA in a 100+-Clamshell lot, consisting of both Tangerine and Blueberry models. I bought one and it arrived today, very well packaged.

Pictures to come in a moment...

2. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

A 'must' addition to any Mac collection imho. Congratulations!
    Look forward to seeing a picture of it.

3. AmazingHenry, Dec 5, 2016

AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I assume you mean that it was causing the computer not to boot up? :D
    EDIT: You corrected it. Never mind. :)

Congratulations on your Clamshell. I love the design. I like to run old versions of OS X on mine.

What are your thoughts on the design? Bigger than you thought? Smaller than you thought? I'm curious to hear your thoughts. When I got mine, it was bigger than I had expected, but not by much.

4. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

The design is definitely one-of-a-kind! And yes, its much bigger than I thought. Compared to the later Snow-model, it really is massive.

A new issue has arisen; my AirPort card may be dead as I keep getting error -3728 when opening the airport setup utility and when I click on airport in the control strip. Not sure what is causing it and I don't know how to fix it.

5. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

An AirPort card isn't worth it IMO. 802.11b speeds. Won't connect to WPA2. Just use Ethernet. If you do get a working AirPort card, I recommend setting up a special "Clamshell network" with a WEP password.

6. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I already have that network setup for other 802.11b machines that I have, including my G4 Cube, 700MHz eMac, GigaTi, G3 Snow, G4 Quicksilver, and now my G3 Clamshell.

7. GetToDaChopa macrumors member

GetToDaChopa

Nice!

is it same as mine? just some useless info for you. Tiger runs like crap on it. So i reinstalled mac os 9 and Panther dual boot. much better. can run old software and some really old software now.

IMG_8486.JPG

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I was doing some work the other day, and the Clamshell is wider in some dimensions than my 15" Unibody MBP. Needless to say, it's also certainly a lot thicker.

Do you have any spare AP cards?

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Try the AP card in the TiBook, see if it works there

10. tdbmoss, Dec 5, 2016

tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

There are cheap AirPort cards here if you need one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261561049543 (I remember the days in the mid 2000s when these cost a fortune when everyone was getting WiFi but their early 2000s Macs hadn't been bought with the cards at the time, and Apple was no longer selling them!)

Note that the original AirPort card can connect to WPA (not WPA2), newer routers usually need to be set to b/g-only mode (not n), and the oldest OS that can connect to WPA networks is Panther with the AirPort 4.2 update installed - older OSes are WEP only.

Probably worth trying yours in a different machine before replacing it, and ensure it is properly installed in the slot and see if it works under Panther/Tiger in case its an OS issue (though they do work in 9 on WEP networks)

11. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

12. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Congrats n all that but Im still waiting for the pics.

13. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

"If I cant see it, you 'aint got one" (as the Mother Superior said to the Abbot).........

14. Gamer9430 thread starter macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Sorry about the picture delays... I was too distracted with fixing the wifi issues. Here's one to hold you guys over for the time being: [​IMG]

Is it wrong of me to have used a blue CD for OS 9 on an orange laptop? :p

I'll take more pictures later, showing it off better from all the angles

15. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I like it!
    Regarding using a blue OS9 CD on an orange laptop, putting it bluntly - you could well get arrested by the Clamshell police force!
    That and using a BLUE desktop, you risk 6 months hard labour (using a Windows PC).......

16. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

17. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

Haha. Now THAT was funny :D Looks awesome! Does yours still have the leaf? Did you get the wifi worked out?

18. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Pretty sure it made like a tree and....I'll watch out for the door