picture contact...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by N-Y, Oct 23, 2011.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

so i added a picture of most people on my contact list...
    but what i don't understand is when i get a call, there picture shows up on the entire screen, and now like this

[​IMG]

how can i make it appear like this with just picture profile very small instead of entire screen

2. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

When you add the picture from your phone it shows up full screen. For it to show up like the picture above you need to add the contact picture on your computer then sync it to your phone.

3. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

i did, it still shows full screen

----------

anybody else have any tip

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is how it used to work.

iOS 5 broke this. I don't think it's a change, I think it's a bug.

I'm basically just waiting to see if 5.1 does something about it.

5. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

what i don't understand is that if you go to maps, and locate your friends place on it, and add that location as profile picture, when you call him, it won't show full screen, it will have his name and the picture of that map in small

6. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

so i thought i had found a fix, it did work, but as soon as i connected to the cloud, it messed everything up, and the issue of the full screen pictures appeared again

7. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

its been this way (broken?) since OS 4 ish...
    if your using google sync (exchange) or iCloud (like exchange) then you wont get full screen photo ID, just the upper tab. its annoying.

as for the OP, sounds like all his contacts are on his phone. and he has associated photos with his contacts. I think the only way to get them to come up as small would be to sync your contacts over the air (iCloud or google exchange).

8. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

on my mac i went to my address book where all my contacts are, i added the pictures through there, and that address book is connected to the icloud, so whatever changes i do, it instantly appears on my iphone.
    anyhow when one of those people call me there picture shows up as full screen, which i dont want, i just want the litte box.

9. big samm macrumors 65816

I know what you are saying i had the same problem a couple years ago... What i did at the time, is use ical from my mac, and add the pictures to my contacts from there. That was the only way to get the thumbnail instead of the full screen!

10. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

are you now connected to icloud with your address book?
    are your picture profiles still appearing as thumbnail?
    how do i add it through ical?

if you can do me a favor, if your ical is also connected to the cloud, can you try adding a picture through there right now and see if it appears as thumbnail... i'd do it, but at work all day

11. blarivee macrumors 6502

I believe it has to do with the size (dimension) of your pictures. If it is bigger than 256px x 256px, it will show up as the whole screen. I use the address book on the computer to enter all the pictures so not quite sure how it will work if you pick a picture from the phone itself. I always crop my images to a square so I am not sure what maximum dimension is for non-square. There are probably some other tricks to get the smaller pictures but this is how I have always setup mine and I never had problems.

12. big samm macrumors 65816

Sorry i meant address book on my mac! Yes i migrated my mobile me account to icloud and still have the thumbnail pic when people call me!
    If you do it from the iphone it will be full screen if you do it from address book on the mac they should come out as thumnails!

13. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

thats my problem, i did it on my mac with address book, and it still shows as full screen, its annoying me.

im thinking maybe i if delete everything off my icloud and remigrate it, it will work

14. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

I used Facebook to originally get the profile pictures. I also synced with iCloud to my Mac when it was released and I'm still getting the picture just in the top tab.

15. rbh0514 macrumors newbie

I am having this problem too. In the past, adding the photo to address book then syncing, this would put the picture in the top small box. For some reason (possibly a bug) this is no longer the case. Contact pictures added this way will show up full screen now and I cannot figure out how make them smaller.

The only thing I can think of is my contacts now sync with iCloud. So technically, I am not syncing it with address book directly from my computer. The contacts, calendar etc. tab in iTunes is greyed out since I am syncing with iCloud.

16. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Is anyone able to get contacts pictures from a Mac to sync with iCloud? I added one last night and it's not on my iPhone.

17. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

so finally got home...

i unsync my address book with all my contacts from iCloud, i decided to keep the same contacts on my computer so i don't lose them... i went to include deleted all the contacts there...

so now i resync my contact to iCloud, they all appear back, and i still get full screen pictures instead of thumbnail....

anybody found a solution?

18. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I think with a Mac they will always work properly and appear as full screen unless you use google exchange, because its a limitation from googles end w the over the air sync.

19. navindralr macrumors member

I'm having this issue as well. All the small contact photo/icons I had for each individual are now coming up full screen. Never did before iOS 5.0. I don't know if it's the new iOS or iCloud.

so are all the people with this problem reporting the bug to Apple?
    bugreport.apple.com

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. I've added a few pictures to Address Book and they synced OTA to my Contacts.

21. Jest3r macrumors regular

Sync your contacts with gmail. Gmail only supports the thumbnail sized pictures so they will all be converted.

I stopped syncing with Gmail several years ago to prevent my contact pictures from being reduced, but to each his own. :)

You will also lose the ability to create custom tags for your phone numbers, email addresses, etc. when you sync with Gmail.

22. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sure there is another way...

what i plan to do is save my contacts...
    delete all contacts from my icloud and iPhone, sync my phone old fashion way to get my contacts back, then from my phone sync that to the cloud so my contacts r on there, and see where that takes me

23. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I seem to have found a solution for myself and possibly others. It seems if I update the picture via icloud.com, they update. If I do it in Address Book, they don't. Weird.

24. navindralr macrumors member

tried that, it didn't work for me...

25. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

waiting for coffee to kick in, so my apologies... can you go into some detail on this??