Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Maybe on an iPhone X plus I could see it, but even current sized plus models are just too small to effectively watch something and then still have enough remaining screen real estate to do anything else.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

John Yester

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
meant the Mini, but it looks like this is available also. Ya the iPhone screen is to small on that aspect.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Maybe on an iPhone X plus I could see it, but even current sized plus models are just too small to effectively watch something and then still have enough remaining screen real estate to do anything else.
I beg to differ. This is the FB app, I wish Apple would implement pip.

Attachments

• C51550F1-80B9-40F7-B131-0295237396F1.jpeg
    C51550F1-80B9-40F7-B131-0295237396F1.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 1,339
Reactions: tsang2320

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
I beg to differ. This is the FB app, I wish Apple would implement pip.
You can't see **** in that tiny PiP screen. I'm guessing a lot of people find it cool but it's not practical at all. PiP is barely useful on Mac screens, let alone an iPhone screen.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Android phones do this very well. I don't see why Apple can't implement this for the new bigger iPhone that should come out. I'd love a split screen approach to watch videos and take notes or browse a webpage whilst watching a video. The idea is you can tap and expand the video at anytime so it's not like you can't see anything.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
You can't see **** in that tiny PiP screen. I'm guessing a lot of people find it cool but it's not practical at all. PiP is barely useful on Mac screens, let alone an iPhone screen.
See video above.

It’s meant for multitasking which comes in handy when watching live games so you don’t have to interrupt the live stream.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
See video above.

It’s meant for multitasking which comes in handy when watching live games so you don’t have to interrupt the live stream.

This. It is nice if you are watching something live in a pinch, but also want to text someone or surf the web. For example, taking an uber to the airport in the middle of a sporting event.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I would use it.

After going to the X from the Plus models - I can't see ever going back to a Plus size scree now though. Hopefully if they ever add it, they won't limit it to Plus models.

Reactions: Igobyandrew

Igobyandrew

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
[doublepost=1542079061][/doublepost]The iPhone Xs is very close to the screen size of the 8 plus. I used to have a samsung galaxy s8 plus (which has a similar screen size as my Xs, and it would allow picture in picture. If you haven’t used it, you wouldn’t understand. It’s actually a very useful feature. I really hope Apple catches up (like usual these days) and adds the feature to their phones.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Out of curiosity, do Android phones actually support PIP? The videos demonstrate PAP.

Igobyandrew

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
Out of curiosity, do Android phones actually support PIP? The videos demonstrate PAP.
I’m not sure what the correct wording is but I do know that you can be watching a YouTube video or on a video chat and click home and the video shrinks but still continues and you can move it around whilst you do other things. I loved it.

Reactions: cashville2400

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I’m not sure what the correct wording is but I do know that you can be watching a YouTube video or on a video chat and click home and the video shrinks but still continues and you can move it around whilst you do other things. I loved it.

This is particularly great for video calls. It boggles my mind that if you switch apps while on a FaceTime call, it pauses your video!! On Android, you see a little floating window with the other person’s video feed that is overlaid onto whatever other app you’re using. It lets you multitask during a long video chat. The iPad does this (for FaceTime), why can’t the iPhone X??

Last edited:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Apple will implement split screen - only after all other manufacturers have it.
Apple will then call it 'revolutionary' and 'the new way to use your device' enabling you to 'get more done' blah blah blah.
Suddenly everyone will love Apple for introducing something that was common among other smartphones.
Typical cycle.

Seriously, Apple need to get with the times. iOS is really lagging behind, and to be fair, so is their hardware now. Nothing about Apple is 'revolutionary' any more.

All IMO of course.....
[doublepost=1542704972][/doublepost]

I think WhatsApp does this now - you can play a YouTube video from a link sent to you, while continue to text/chat an dmove the video around on the screen.
It works perfectly well - so why cant Apple implement this as a iOS feature?!

Willo1533

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Maybe on an iPhone X plus I could see it, but even current sized plus models are just too small to effectively watch something and then still have enough remaining screen real estate to do anything else.[/QUO

That’s not true I used to use picture in picture with my Samsung galaxy s6. I could Skype with my girlfriend long distance and watch a movie with her in the background. Or I could let a movie keep playing during a boring part and respond to text or read an article and let the movie keep playing. It’s very frustrating they don’t allow us the option to use picture in picture if it’s too small real estate for you that’s fine but for me there’s plenty of real estate especially on the iPhone XS max which is plenty big to put a small 1” x 1” size picture in picture or a picture in picture that I could make bigger or smaller just like I can on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.