Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xloveaffliction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Malden, MA
I love my iPhone. But there is one thing that bugs me about it. Why can;t you text pictures back and forth? There are free phones that do this, you'd think that the "revolutionary iPhone" would be capable of such a small feat? I'm sure it wouldn't take very much effort to update the firmware to do so.

Does anyone know of any reason Apple and/or ATT woudn't do this? It would just make the phone better, and equal revenue for ATT?

I'd really like to know...

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
when people ask about mms, quit replying about the email option. people want mms because its mms, not because they want to know if there is a workaround

If they want MMS they should have bought a different phone.

It was widely known before the iPhone was released that it did not support MMS and there was no indication given that it ever would.

If you really want MMS then the iPhone is not for you. Sell it and buy something else that better meets your needs. All this constant moaning is getting tiresome.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI

It was widely known before the iPhone was released that it did not support MMS and there was no indication given that it ever would.

If you really want MMS then the iPhone is not for you. Sell it and buy something else that better meets your needs. All this constant moaning is getting tiresome.

i understand that. and im not complaining but when people ask about it, it seems like the response is, well it doesnt have this but it has this really sh**ty workaround. and i think people are asking because they want to know how hard it would be to implement it. i really could care less although i do think it is something every phone should have

jimmer-uk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008

Well if it's getting tiresome how about simply not opening threads that indicate mms as the subject??

It was widely known that mms was not available in the mac enthusiast/fanboy arena, NOT to 99% of iphone users who just wanted the latest fashion gadget. It's a massive clanger that will be rectified i'm sure, after all what is to gain from not having mms?? Apple will receive more revenue as will there carriers and people will be happier etc, it's win win. The hardware is there, just needs something writing.

To say the iphone is not for you if you want to send a picture message is just a load of rubbish:rolleyes:

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
It was widely known that mms was not available in the mac enthusiast/fanboy arena, NOT to 99% of iphone users who just wanted the latest fashion gadget.

If you are stupid enough to part with £270 for a phone without knowing what it is and is not capable of, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

To say the iphone is not for you if you want to send a picture message is just a load of rubbish:rolleyes:

Care to quantify that statement?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Use your email. You can enter phonenumber@mms.att.com (or something like that) to send your photo. They can then reply, and it will appear in you email.

TEG

This is not a viable option because you have to decide precisely which network the person is on and there's no way to tell from their number. Also, people who I communicate with on my phone don't tend to be people who I communicate with using email. I certainly wouldn't expect a friend to enter my 23 character long email address using their Nokia keypad.

MMS is a feature which is long overdue on iPhone.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
This is not a viable option because you have to decide precisely which network the person is on and there's no way to tell from their number.
If they MMS your e-mail address first, you'll have the address needed and can store it with their contact info.

Also, people who I communicate with on my phone don't tend to be people who I communicate with using email. I certainly wouldn't expect a friend to enter my 23 character long email address using their Nokia keypad.
Nokia's can't store e-mail addresses with contacts as well as phone numbers? What is this, the 90's?

MMS is a feature which is long overdue on iPhone.
Perhaps, but acting like this is some unbelievable, ridiculous hacky workaround is blowing things out of proportion.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Care to quantify that statement?

easily. you buy a phone because it can do a majority of the things that you want, but you have every right to wish for the things it doesnt do. especially on a phone that was advertised for its flexibility and ease of expansion by updates. it is not wrong for people to expect a common cell phone application like mms as a software update

Perhaps, but acting like this is some unbelievable, ridiculous hacky workaround is blowing things out of proportion.

it is a workaround that is rediculous becaude it involves calling or texting the person to find out what their provider is, and that is a waste of texts or minutes. its a crappy workaround

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Nokia's can't store e-mail addresses with contacts as well as phone numbers? What is this, the 90's?

I'm not sure what planet you live on but in the "real" world, most people don't tend to populate their phones with email addresses. I know my friends have the bare minimum required information on each contact, that is usually their first name and their phone number.

If I meet a new person I don't add their email address to my phone, I add their phone number to my phone. I regularly enjoyed sending picture messages from my old Samsung mobile phone to a friend at home while I was on holiday. Indeed, I took one photo from the top of the London Eye and sent it to her and she had replied before I got off the ride. She was away from her computer at the time too.

iPhone simply cannot do this and it's a shame, because it is definitely capable of it.

HotblackDesiato

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Scotland
it is not wrong for people to expect a common cell phone application like mms as a software update

I'm afraid it is wrong to expect it.

If Apple had indicated that MMS would be supported in a later update, you would not be wrong to expect it, and would have every right to be well and truly pissed off if it didn't arrive.

As it stands though, it wasn't promised at a later date and everyone who has bought an iPhone got exactly what they paid for.

Loads of new Apps would be great to have, but nobody has the right to expect Apple to provide anything over and above what they originally paid for.

I'd love to argue further, but it's 1 in the morning and not even Lethal Weapon 2 is keeping my eyes open right now ;)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
TEG -- this is your one true claim to fame. I have seen this post so many times -- you really need to create a webpage on this exact post. :D

And people need to find something else to bitch about. I have see no less that 100 threads about MMS. MMS is a useless service to add to the iPhone, when a cheaper solution is built it.

TEG

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
And people need to find something else to bitch about. I have see no less that 100 threads about MMS. MMS is a useless service to add to the iPhone, when a cheaper solution is built it.

TEG

No dude I'm with you.... I have just seen a few of your posts and thought I might give you a little Atta-Boy. No harm doing that. :D

It is annoying, but I am over it and will try your suggestion. Most of my friends are over the MMS thing anyway.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I taste a little throw-up every time I see another thread dedicated to whining about what the iPhone doesn't have. The end.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
The whole "I don't have MMS blah blah blah" thing just doesn't make sense to me. Not only do you have MMS, but you have FREE MMS. I would rather send and receive free e-mails then have to pay a buck for a picture that, in the scheme of things, I don't need at all by any means.

I don't know about anybody else, but the only people that I receive MMS messages from are friends...usually close friends. And, maybe I'm just a memory master or something, but I know what carriers my close friends use. And with all the moaning on typing in a big long address on both ends, in the time it takes you to complain about the "lack" of MMS, you could've searched for the 24309873492 posts that list every carrier and their designated e-mails and transferred it into your notes.

I mean, don't you ask someone for their number in the first place? If you think that you may MMS that person, couldn't you waste one more breath and ask about that person's carrier? An iPhone has a full keyboard people! It isn't hard to add that person's cellular e-mail to your contacts.

There isn't one modern phone that doesn't allow someone to store an e-mail address...so simply text your e-mail to that person, or be the first to send an MMS and let that person simply press a button (God forbid), and store your e-mail into their phone.

Calling this method a "shi**y workaround" is just ridiculous. once you have everything programmed once, you never have to worry about it again. Its just like adding a freaking contact. Be grateful that you wont be giving ATT any more of your hard-earned money by receiving or sending crappy pictures that you don't really need.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008

TEG

Thanks, you totally changed my mind about this! :rolleyes: My wife is on Verizon, who is now blocking pic attachements sent from outside their network. I have three kids and would like to see what they are doing during the day like I used to. SO, Buy my wife an iPhone, or ****!

Seriously, you don't want MMS, we get it; nobody gives a ****. Stop replying to the threads to try to prove a point that the OP doesn't agree with.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
The whole "I don't have MMS blah blah blah" thing just doesn't make sense to me. Not only do you have MMS, but you have FREE MMS. .....

NO YOU DONT HAVE MMS!!!! if we had mms people wouldnt be bitching so quit saying we have MMS, we only have a crappy workaround

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
So where can I find a list of UK Carrier addresses??

I can find loads of US lists but no UK List:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.