Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Black keys are terrible.

the reason for the black keys on the MBA was because Apple wanted the chiclet keys but also wanted backlighting and the optical lights wouldnt look too good with white keys and aluminium painted plastic chiclet keys would be way too cheap looking for Apple's tastes.

if black keys to appear on the MBP im guessing it will be for the same reason.

jojo13

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
YEAH BABY
new notebooks on the way
can't wait
It's gonna be TOTALLY AWESOME :D:D:D

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Add a glass key pad to the awesome looking MBP and I am sold :apple:

Jobso are ya listening!!:)

I would imagine a glass trackpad would have a screen beneath it.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,536

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
the edges look really sharp, like they would be a pain on the wrists, can anyone say macbook?

thats been one problem i dont think anyone has pointed out on all of these mockups, the edges of the cases look like they come to a sharp edge, this might look nice, but its not very good ergonomics

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
If the new MBP looks like that then I'll be buying an older MBP :) I think the current MBP look is classic.

smitha96

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
To the forum member who did this, I think it looks like an amazing job. I wouldn't at all be surprised if what Apple puts out turns out to be surprisingly similar. This is a look that can be expected; it would fall in line with the designs of the iMac and MBA.

Alex

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
To the forum member who did this, I think it looks like an amazing job. I wouldn't at all be surprised if what Apple puts out turns out to be surprisingly similar. This is a look that can be expected; it would fall in line with the designs of the iMac and MBA.

Alex

Thank you. Sometimes I think people forget how difficult it is to create something in Photoshop that looks real and represents an appropriate product revision :)

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
the edges look really sharp, like they would be a pain on the wrists, can anyone say macbook?

thats been one problem i dont think anyone has pointed out on all of these mockups, the edges of the cases look like they come to a sharp edge, this might look nice, but its not very good ergonomics
Er, wouldn't good ergonomics dictate that your hands not rest on the laptop?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Black keys are terrible.

Well hopefully they machine the chiclet keys for the MBP out of aluminum as well, or use silver plastic like the current MBP. Then we'll have differentiation on keyboards; white for MB, black for MBA, and silver for MBP.

But in all likelihood we'll have a black keyboard in the pro.

I would love to see that mockup with a silver keyboard, though.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Well at least we all know we're in for a treat come September... LETS DO THIS APPLE, I NEED SOME NEW EQUIPMENT. whew... excitement.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
this is photoshop... no question. no whether it was photoshop done by apple or not... we shall see

bartzilla

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
this is photoshop... no question. no whether it was photoshop done by apple or not... we shall see

Isn't the creator of the picture posting on this thread about their mock up a bit of a clue for you about whether or not this is really from Apple.

And kudos to the creator, if you read this. I don't know what the real MBP redesign will look like but it's always interesting to hear ideas and you've certainly got people talking.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
I think the updated mockup looks amazing. And I personally like the black keys :)

So mciarlo, kudos to you.

mciarlo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
New York City
Thank you. I've been blogging about this experience, but I'd like to copy and paste a portion from this morning.

It’s been almost a day now and my ad is making its way around the interwebs. While I’ve already admitted it’s a fake, the debate still roars on. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is as an artist to have something you’ve created being criticized without being able to say, “Hey, I’ve updated this! I’ve already fixed that!” Regardless, I hope people realize, sooner or later, that the ad was simply a Photoshop demonstration and was not meant to be a real Apple ad.

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
I jest. I would really unhappy. I hate the chiclet keys.

+1

The black plastic keys look very unprofessional.
If they had to incorporate black keys into the new design, at least go with black aluminum.

The current keyboard is a timeless design that feels great to the touch and should not go into the pages of history IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.