Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
A few more...

IMG_3985-edited.jpg

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

Yurtal

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
I’ve recently bought an iPhone se 2020 and have noticed that when taking pictures outdoors the photos sometimes appear different in regards to the colour temperature of the overall image. I took a bunch of photos in a row today and some are warmer than others. I’m not sure why they differ so much despite being taken all within seconds of each other. I’ve attached some examples to this post. I’m just not sure if this is common or not and if there’s anything I can do about it? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 650EDCE2-ED8D-4E15-B721-96CBD49B7468.jpeg
    650EDCE2-ED8D-4E15-B721-96CBD49B7468.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • BF0EA5C5-DA01-4E52-B638-D7A74A3CAEE7.jpeg
    BF0EA5C5-DA01-4E52-B638-D7A74A3CAEE7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I’ve recently bought an iPhone se 2020 and have noticed that when taking pictures outdoors the photos sometimes appear different in regards to the colour temperature of the overall image. I took a bunch of photos in a row today and some are warmer than others. I’m not sure why they differ so much despite being taken all within seconds of each other. I’ve attached some examples to this post. I’m just not sure if this is common or not and if there’s anything I can do about it? Thanks for your help.
This is usually due to metering inconsistencies. An iPhone usually gets its white balance information from a square directly in the centre of the camera app, moving by a mm in any direction can cause the reading to be taken from a slightly different area and in your case with the sky and the brownish coloured grass these are completely different colours for the phone to take into account.
The positioning of the larger brown dog may also have a part in the way the software balances the colour for the image as it seems to be more central and side on in the warmer picture.
If you touch an area on the screen to focus where you need it the metering is then taken from that area, which would hopefully make the shots more consistent.

Yurtal

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
This is usually due to metering inconsistencies. An iPhone usually gets its white balance information from a square directly in the centre of the camera app, moving by a mm in any direction can cause the reading to be taken from a slightly different area and in your case with the sky and the brownish coloured grass these are completely different colours for the phone to take into account.
The positioning of the larger brown dog may also have a part in the way the software balances the colour for the image as it seems to be more central and side on in the warmer picture.
If you touch an area on the screen to focus where you need it the metering is then taken from that area, which would hopefully make the shots more consistent.
Ok that clears things up a lot, thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: Thoradin

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Thank you @BasicGreatGuy and @ssledoux. All I did was get as close as I could to some bees without annoying them and getting stung and snap away! I took a load of shots and then later when home I kept the best ones and deleted the rest. I cropped it a little and did a bit of editing with it in Snapseed. There are several people I really envy in the Photo of the Day threads. Some of the photos they produce are simply stunning. I strive to reach their standards.

Reactions: harriska2

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Agreed. I must be doing something wrong, as I can never get good close-up shots with any phone.
Same. That is the only great weakness I can find with it so far. Everyone seems to make their font on instructions super tiny, so I take a pic and zoom it. It is fine with the 11PM, but the SE2020 has issues focusing close up.
[automerge]1595435762[/automerge]
Okay, how do you keep your phone from taking Lives? How do you turn it off?

Yeah I’m definitely camera challenged.
I know in the camera app, you can tap the live circles icon to toggle it for the current photo. I believe you can set the default in camera settings but would have to double check later.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Same. That is the only great weakness I can find with it so far. Everyone seems to make their font on instructions super tiny, so I take a pic and zoom it. It is fine with the 11PM, but the SE2020 has issues focusing close up.

I know in the camera app, you can tap the live circles icon to toggle it for the current photo. I believe you can set the default in camera settings but would have to double check later.

I’ll look in the settings and see.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I don't know how you folks take such amazing shots with the SE. Mine are all pixelated or blurry. Shaky hands? Defective camera? Crappy photographer (most likely)?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I did figure it out. You shut off live, and then there’s ”Preserve settings” where you can have the camera remember your last used settings. I can’t believe I’ve been dealing with the lives all this time and that’s all I had to do. ?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Great pics!

So on the first one, did you shoot then adjust it to make it look like a portrait? I’m so lost with what I can do with this camera. I just aim, click, and hope for the best. ;-p

Nope. I took it with the normal 'Photo' setting but I pointed the yellow square on the can to set that as the main focus object. I didn't need to edit it at all afterwards. When I take my photos I often take several. For every good one I take there are several poor ones as well!

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Nope. I took it with the normal 'Photo' setting but I pointed the yellow square on the can to set that as the main focus object. I didn't need to edit it at all afterwards. When I take my photos I often take several. For every good one I take there are several poor ones as well!

Wow - see I had no clue that was a thing, but I just did it with my airpods that are sitting on top of a magazine. It didn’t really have that effect, but probably just because they were right on top of one another. I’m definitely gonna try that though. It almost makes your photo looks like portrait mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.