Pictures upside down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric5964, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

I am using the volume+ button to snap pictures now, and people have said that the pictures are showing up upside down in emails/texts? Anyone else having this issue? It looks right when I take it and review it, just not after sending?

EricE

2. dmk1974, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm getting that too with my 4S. I did not have that issue on my 4 though. I just did a test taking a photo with the + button and then 180 degrees rotated with the screen button and the one with the +, while looking correct in the iPhone photos app, is definitely upside down when sending or transferring.

What is odd though is, when I send it attached to an e-mail, the embedded image in the e-mail looks correct, but once I click on it to enlarge, it's back to upside-down.

I also just tested on my wife's 4S and the same issue occurred.

However, when shooting video with the volume buttons on the top edge, the orientation was correct.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I guess your holding with the volume buttons on top? this for the iPhone is upside down for some reason. When I throw pics into GIMP it will detect and offer to correct the problem and this is with using my iPhone 4 not got a 4S

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

The lens should be at the top of the phone to make sure photos aren't upsidedown.

BUT

When the volume button is used it means the lens is at the bottom. I think Apple is going to have to issue an update at some point to fix this. Perhaps that's why we saw rumours a few monts ago of a new iphone with the volume buttons on the other side of the phone???

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

It should detect which way up it is so definitely a bug imo.

6. protobiont macrumors 6502a

How is Apple missing issues like this?

7. Eric5964 thread starter macrumors regular

Eric5964

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

maybe try reading my reply 5 posts up?

9. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Happening to my 4s too
    Anyone know the address to report bugs?

Thanks

10. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I read what you wrote and it's not a fix... Only apple can fix this.

11. ZAiPhone macrumors member

Photoshop express app is free. Under the crop menu you can rotate.

12. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

No need for another app, you can rotate a photo in the default Photos app on the phone.

13. andy2141 macrumors 6502

Just a thought... it's not doing it because the rotation lock is set by any chance?

14. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I noticed this a long time ago on my 4. I always took pictures with the shutter button on the screen on the right for that purpose but now that the phone has to be held the other way to use the vol up button, I knew they would come out upside down. I hope apple issues an update to rotate them.

15. UKmacman macrumors regular

I put a test video into iphoto and it was fine, although a little jerky. So I dragged it onto the desktop and used VLC player. It was smoother - but upside down! Definitely a bug for apple to fix!

16. andy2141 macrumors 6502

hmm. Just been doing some testing on my white 4S 16GB.

I've just taken a picture with the phone in landscape by pressing the (+) hardware button. (buttons on top). Took a photo, looked ok on screen, then emailed it directly from the camera roll to my .me address. Came through fine.

I've also taken a picture with the phone in the horizonal position, again using the (+) button. This also came through fine.

Unless I'm doing something differently to you lot then mine is working fine.

17. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Email it directly to Facebook, then talk to me

18. andy2141 macrumors 6502

Right took a new photo again in landscape, using the hardware button instead of the on-screen one. Used the Facebook app on my phone to pick the picture from the camera roll and uploaded it to FB.

Logged into FB on my iMac. Picture is the right way round. It was a pic of my keyboard btw so easy to tell.

Talking to you now ;-) Not saying you're not having an issue, I just can't replicate it on my handset.

19. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

I've just tested it. Send direct to twitter and also emailed to a gmail address. Both came out the correct way up. I took the photo in landscape orientation, volume button top-right.

20. andy2141 macrumors 6502

Yay! someone on my side. Dodgy batch of phones out there??

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

I've noticed this as well. However, it isn't an issue for me.

See, for the past 4 years with all of my iPhones, when I take pictures I hold the phone so that the home button is in my right hand, and the the mute/volume buttons would be on my left hand.

This always seemed most natural/obvious to me because otherwise the lens is on the bottom of the phone and the fingers on your right hand tend to easily get into the picture.

With this new volume button feature, it forces me to hold the phone backwards from how I've been doing it for 4 years and, though it is completely trivial, I just can't stand holding it with the volume button up top. It really fascinates me how I can't stand to hold the phone the opposite way - I guess behavior ruts/patterns are that strong!

The volume up button still works just fine to take pictures with the phone flipped how I prefer to hold it, so I just do that. No biggie. Plus this way my fingers don't get into the picture as easily.

22. andy2141 macrumors 6502

Googling this seems to suggest the problem has been around for years going back to 3G days. Users are saying a reboot fixes it for a while then the issue comes back.

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

24. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Seems I fixed it ... For me anyway

I was using windows picture viewer to view them on my pc
    That doesn't recognise exif data on the pic.
    I downloaded http://www.irfanview.com/ and it sorted it.

Maybe try a different program if using a mac