Pimp my PPC........Desktop

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wobegong, Jun 19, 2013.

1. wobegong Guest

Anyone here want to show us their desktops?

I spent much of last night assembling pimpout software, Candybar etc. (may as well make using the G5 as pleasant as possible) and now know what direction i want to go in - should complete tonight and will post a screenshot for you to drool/puke over - would love to see what everyone here considers a 'pleasing desktop environment' ;)

Should also be a showcase that Leopard/PPC can still look pretty damn good after all these years...

My MBP and work desktop is pretty plain - thats for work and heavy lifting but the G5 is all personal time and about being in an environment that takes me far away from work :rolleyes:

2. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

Leopard already looks good.. I like it a lot, though I have used the Mountain Lion skin for it.. I think its a terrific OS, but with no security updates we may have to move onto a better alternative OS, such as FreeBSD or Linux distros.. Even MorphOS looks really nice.

I hope Amiga considers supporting us.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ok…;)

Attached Files:

4. spunkgarLEWII macrumors regular

The naysayers who keep saying PowerPC is this.. PowerPC is that simply don't get it. PPC is going to be around for a long time to come.. One of us, and its not me.. is going to come up with a way to create a nice PPC OS where we can all move to once Leopard is deemed not secure anymore.

I also am very pleased that PPC G4 can do 1080p using Chroma, XBMC, and also VLC. I always knew the PowerPC G4 and G5 had potential for high definition video.

5. wobegong thread starter Guest

Very...very nice! Are you using tge Yahoo widget engine or another widget system?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm using a combination of Simple Floating Clock, GeekTool, Dateline and Yahoo Widgets. For Yahoo Widget's it's the Werewolf Monitor and Widescape Weather.

This is actually a trimmed down version as I used to have some other stuff. But turns out it was causing CPU cycles because the coding was bad. So, I turned a few things off.

The music controller is Bowtie with the Neon theme. I use DSW (Do Something When) which is a system preference pane to open Bowtie whenever I open iTunes and to close Bowtie whenever I close iTunes.

7. wobegong thread starter Guest

It looks very good, I think I may be plagarising some of your tools tonight :)

Cool desktop.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks, it works for me.

The worst, worst part was getting the network info right. Over on the top right I have the network name, SSID and IP addresses. Every Geeklet I could find only lists the data one line at a time. I managed to find an Applescript and modify it so that it calls shell scripts but places the data together.

The info is live. I use Location X to automatically switch my location. That causes the data here to show the new location and SSID and then the new IP addresses.

You might also want to look here

If you're interested, the first version of my desktop appears at post #109.

9. Aameiel, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  10. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

The two women kind of remind me of Alex Kingston.

11. MrPilot macrumors 6502

dont forget to show the aurorafox theme hehe

----------

did you see the video with those three players? it was actually only xbmc giving somewhat good 1080p on the powerbook but nevertheless hehe

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I don't really pimp my desktop. But I have installed Aqua's Mountain Leopard theme.

I even turn off the transparency of the menubar, even on my G5. I really like the simplicity of things. I am more into tweaking the system to make it more responsive.

13. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I disable the transparency of the menubar too, I find it fugly with transparency.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have the ML theme as well. I've just gone and made some other changes with Candybar and some other mods as well.

For whatever reason, both my Macs and the G5 I brought home (I've applied the same UI mods to it while it was at work) are unable to utilize the transparent menu bar. So even if I wanted to…

16. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here you go…

Aurorafox/TenFourFox. This is full screen mode with FTDeepDark theme installed (I use the Linux version) and the Stylish addon, which for Google I am now using the FTDeepDark Google theme for Stylish.

AdBlockPlus Elements allows me to remove a few things on the page.

Attached Files:

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

<chuckle>

This is the cast of the Honeymooners. 1950s show with Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph. Of the four, only Joyce Randolph is still alive. Gleason died in 85, Meadows in 96, and Carney in 2003.

19. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I know, I saw one of your posts about your desktop a while back.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

:eek:

Oops. My overactive Honeymooner fan gene kicked in. :D

21. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

No problem, we all have an inner fan-girl when it comes to certain things. :D

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Mine is quite a boring affair. Haven't even changed the desktop. I ought to. Pretty sick of the blue.

[​IMG]

23. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Tiger, awesomeness.

Plain, stupid, simple, fast OS. One of my dualie 1.42GHz PMG4 is running Tiger. It is just a solid OS up to this years. Running Camino for PPC as browser.

I am in China right now so I cannot have a screenshot. It is using Uno themeing to look like Leopard.

24. wobegong thread starter Guest

Here is where I'm at currently, trying in vain to find Magnifique themes so I can change the top bar and window colour from grey.....any help would be appreciated :confused:

[​IMG]

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm at work right now, so if you can wait I will see what I have at home. I know I used Magnifique in there somewhere and that's how I got my menubar black. But I can't get to my home Mac for a few hours.

What Geeklets/Yahoo Widgets are you using (if anything)?

I had some stuff for the HD, CPU and memory for a while but dropped it because I was duplicating the functionality of iStat Menus.