Pink Floyd break up

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Aug 16, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is one band I wish I could have seen live. But being the age that I am, they stopped touring long before I was going to concerts. I have only seen them on tv or on the occasional live album vhs/dvd/blu-ray offering! I pretty much have all of their albums and over the years have been played quite a lot!

3. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

That kind of talent seems to fracture out, unfortunately.

4. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Um...these guys are in their 70's of age...it might be a good time to retire...don't you think?

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

6. Abiatha Swelter macrumors newbie

Abiatha Swelter

Deja Vu--I remember them breaking up in 1982.

7. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Good riddance. They haven't done anything useful for centuries.

8. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

"I've got a bike you can ride it if you like, it's got a bell." - height of PF psychedelia :p

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Amazing music came from the group but I have not bought anything or played anything of theirs after discovering what a racist Roger Waters is. I wont deny the talent but wont put coins in his/their coffers either.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Had to google this and if you are referring to the Israeli-Palestinian comments. WOW. I never knew this about him.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, @JamesMike, I believe that they may already have released an album bearing that very title which I bought well over a year ago. While not a Legendary Timeless Classic, as so many of their albums were, it is still, indubitably and inimitably, a Pink Floyd album, and I liked it. Great to hear it in my headphones (on my iPod) flying home on leave from central Asia…..

Ah, earlier still, actually. I have had it for the best part of 18 months…...

"Centuries"? Surely @vkd, this is an example of a little, um, hyperbole, here? "Centuries"? Seriously?

Look, I might argue that, say, for example, the Conservative Party (in the UK), or the Republican Party (in the US), or the Catholic Church have lacked awareness of the path to inner enlightenment for much of the past century - or
    perhaps even for centuries - but Pink Floyd?

Well, I suppose that the late, great, Mr Einstein, did write about the elasticity and flexibility of the whole concept of what is understood as time

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Endless River was garbage.

Pink Floyd was over after The Wall.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, the certainty of the judgement of the keyboard, one that is announced by a burst of robust but terse adjectives, and buttressed by the staunch strength allowed by the elevated distance of…….what can only be widely recognised as a critic of sublime yet exquisite musical taste………..

Such elevated musical judgements cannot have come from anywhere else, could they?

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Roger Waters left the band thirty years ago and he was the major songwriting talent behind Pink Floyd, IMO.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An argument that adduces irrefutable fact and rational argument when presenting a case…...

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

53/100 on Metacritic. That's for a Pink Floyd album. That's not "judgement of the keyboard". That's "judgement of musical taste"

17. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I wonder why in the article they said the album was to be released later this year? Will research.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Look. I'll not say that it is their best album, or even close to it.

But, it is not bad. And, when, stressed and exhausted, returning from central Asia, from a mad country to a mad mother, you want something somewhat familiar, very much liked, yet seriously not too demanding, (on your iPod and listening on your B&W headphones) this album presses the buttons. Nice, Pink Floyd, yet not too demanding.

well, let us just say that Metacritic is not my God; if I want serious stuff, I drag out the classical music critics, because when my head, brain, and mind are all together, this is what I listen to; mind you, I'll listen to Mozart in any state of mind, he is that good.

No idea. Maybe different release times in Europe and the US?

But I can tell you I have had the album (ordered so that it was waiting fro me when I retuned home on leave over a year ago); and it has been on my iPod for well over a year.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That album was just leftover tracks from Division Bell. There was no new material in it.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

21. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

22. RIZZO124 macrumors member

I love pink Floyd music as they're probably my favorite group. Their image however is definitely tarnished when I found out what antisemite roger waters is. Holy cow, you should hear what comes out of this guy's mouth. I saw him in concert in Phoenix Arizona years ago and during the concert he couldn't stop carrying on about his trip to Lebanon, Jordan and I don't remember whatever other countries in the Middle East.

David Gilmour who is my real idol for his guitar playing either has no political views or keeps them to himself. A smart move. Otherwise I'd totally stop listening to them. Regardless, it's tough to match the musical genius that went into their albums like DSOTM and WUWH and the wall.

23. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Well, I figure that people can certainly take sides (and they do) but he is more than taking sides. He is shall we say very "hard core."

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yeah I was reading his comments from several different sites and "hard core" pretty much nails it on the head. Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions as am I, so having said that, I am kinda glad they did break up/retire. Don't know if I could give them anymore of my money after reading some of his comments.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Go and see the australian pink floyd, they play pink floyd better than pink floyd.