MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

102257-dark_side_of_the_moon.jpg

BBC News reports that Pink Floyd has won a legal battle with its record label EMI over whether the label should be allowed to distribute digital versions of the band's material on a track-by-track basis as it does through Apple's iTunes Store. Pink Floyd is one of a number of high-profile bands that have objected to the splitting up of what it considers to be single pieces of work.
The rock legends, signed to EMI since 1967, said their contract meant their albums could not be split up without their permission.

A judge agreed, saying the contract contained a clause to "preserve the artistic integrity of the albums".

EMI has been ordered to pay £40,000 ($60,000) in costs, with a further fine to be decided.
Pink Floyd's current contract with EMI was signed prior to the advent of digital download music stores, and the band's lawyers argued that it made little sense that the contract's restrictions against the splitting up of "seamless" material would apply to physical distribution while digital distribution would be treated as a "free-for-all". For its part, EMI argued that use of the word "record" in the contract suggested that the agreement covered only physical media.

Pink Floyd's content remains available on an individual track basis in the iTunes Store, and it is unclear if there will be changes to that arrangement in the near future.

Article Link: Pink Floyd Wins Legal Battle Over Digital Sale of Individual Songs

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I guess this means that we will see a few album only purchases appearing on the iTunes store.

I can understand that artists want their work to be heard in context but a lot of us sometimes only want to buy an odd track that they like rather than listen to the full 'artistic expression'.

Comment

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I side with Pink Floyd on this. I love their work and I want to listen to them from start to finish. I think they should go after radio stations that play just one of their songs instead of the whole album.

Comment

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I've always tended to buy albums as a whole, as it's important to get a feel for what the artist was trying to do/create. That said I'd never buy a Pink Floyd album because I'm not my Dad and I don't like prog rock.

Comment

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Amsterdam
Then why don't Pink Floyd release their album on iTunes as one big track?

Problem solved.

Comment

rhb

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
I think they should go after radio stations that play just one of their songs instead of the whole album.

I don't, actually. While I'm all for "artistic integrity", it's a fact that Pink Floyd has taken full advantage of radio over the last 40 years, because playing their singles on the radio results in album sales. So they were all for promoting and playing singles on the radio, but not for doing the same thing online...?

It feels slightly precious. But yay for them, I guess.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I can understand that artists want their work to be heard in context but a lot of us sometimes only want to buy an odd track that they like rather than listen to the full 'artistic expression'.

Heh, and "in context" in the case of most "albums" means "the dozen miscellaneous songs (three good, nine bad) we thought might sell best when packaged together." ;)

I think they should go after radio stations that play just one of their songs instead of the whole album.

Indeed. Funny how "artistic expression" is only important when it doesn't negatively impact the artist's bottom line.

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors demi-god
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I don't care for Pink Floyd but I am glad to read that the courts sided with their argument.
As some one with over 1100 CD's and over 700 vinyl albums I am able to appreciate those artists who really put an effort in creating a cohesive album
and not an a just a collection of singles.

Comment

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
While a fan, I find it hard to believe they felt breaking the songs up was hurting their artistic value. My guess is they prefer to sell full albums at full price versus partial albums at single track price; I am inclined to believe it is about the financials. Why not let the fans decide what artistic value to place? If the whole album is desired, fans will buy the whole album. If some parts are less desirable, fans can still select the parts that mean the most to them.

Comment

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The concept of an album as a well thought-out, organized, logical work of arts was lost years ago. I'm not sure kids brought up in the iTunes era can appreciate the you listen to a series of songs that are connected and add up to more than the sum of the individual tracks.

Kudos to Pink Floyd. I agree some works should not be cut up and sold off piecemeal.

Comment

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Genuine music artists, as opposed to factory/record company made crap-ola folk, should have control over the work.

Can't wait for the day where the major music labels are no more.

Comment

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
They're only shooting themselves in the foot

Once again, the consumer gets screwed. Fortunately, I don't have to buy this **** unlike everything else I have to pay a goddamn monthly fee for.

Comment

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Most of the time when a label is trying to sell an album, they are selling 2 good songs and 8 **** songs. Jobs knows that people don't want that, they want singles, etc, etc. He has fought the labels on this since iTunes opened (see previous itunes album article).

This is one of a handful of exceptions. Pink Floyds albums are meant to be listened to as one... and not just because the listener passed out, or is too stoned to turn it off. heh.

I'm all for 'screw the labels' and all that, but I respect the bands desire to keep their music intact in the album form.

Comment

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's up to them how they sell their music, and then it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to buy it or not.

As long as it's not just a ploy to get consumers to buy an album just to get the 2 or 3 good tracks on it, I'm in favour of it.

Comment

09iMac=Fail

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
Albums are outdated (as are Pink Floyd) - this is the muscle spasm of a dying band and a dying industry.

I still buy albums in their physical form of cd's. I like having the liner notes and I like seeing all of the info available about the recording session and other stuff. I know mp3's are popular, but I hate them. Not a fan of the degraded sound. I have an iPod, but I only use it when I travel.

Being a professional musician, I'm sure I'm out numbered in terms of preferring cd's. Does anybody have any stats on the number of tracks downloaded in mp3 form versus the number of tracks sold on cd format? Would be interesting to see.

You haven't convinced me that recording albums on a physical format is a dying industry.

Comment

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Hurray to limiting options for consumers!

That is exactly the point. I am sure they see their sales numbers and realize that when consumers pick and chose the parts they want to purchase, the album sales suffer as does the bottom line in some cases. Plus, if it was really about the artistic value, why do they stay with a major distributor? Why not find alternative methods to get the music to the fans?

Comment

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
DSotM should be listened to start-to-end. I used to have whole-album MP3s at work for certain albums to make that easier (also "Exile on Main Street", "Abbey Road", and a few others).

That said, I hear Money and Run Like Hell and Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) and Wish You Were Here on the radio without them playing whole albums... <shrug>

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.