Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with earlier reports, Pioneer today announced it is bringing Apple's CarPlay technology to its existing product line. CarPlay will be added to the company's five 2014 NEX in-dash multimedia receivers via a firmware update that will be made available in early summer 2014.
"Pioneer's years of expertise integrating smartphone connectivity into the automotive environment has provided us the opportunity to be among the first to offer CarPlay to drivers," said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "By providing an aftermarket option, Pioneer's 2014 in-dash multimedia systems give many iPhone owners the ability to add CarPlay to their current vehicles."
Pioneer in-dash multimedia systems compatible with Apple's CarPlay include the $1400 AVIC-8000NEX, the $1200 AVIC-7000NEX, the $900 AVIC-6000NEX, the $750 AVIC-5000NEX and the $700 AVH-4000NEX. These receivers are available from authorized Pioneer dealers such as Best Buy, Crutchfield and Car Toys.

carplay_3.jpg
Introduced earlier this year, CarPlay is an iOS-driven system that allows an iPhone to tie into the in-dash display of a car, providing Siri-controlled voice access to features like Maps, phone, messages and music. The technology initially debuted as a factory-installed feature in new 2014 models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

CarPlay can be added to existing systems as the technology works in conjunction with BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform, which powers many existing in-car infotainment systems. Beside Pioneer, car audio manufacturer Alpine may begin selling its own aftermarket in-dash entertainment systems that will support Apple's CarPlay feature. Alpine's CarPlay receivers are expected to debut this fall in Europe and the U.S. with a base price of $500 to $700.

Article Link: Pioneer Brings Apple CarPlay to Existing In-Dash Receivers

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
This is great news, CarPlay is on Pioneer and by fall on Alpine (in addition to those cars which come with CarPlay preinstalled).
Its going to be big!
I love Alpine sound, as I have installed second Alpine headunit DIY, however both are 1 DIN type, first with CD and second is CD-less, all Bluetooth and USB, their sound is incredibly good. Having said that, Pioneer is very big player in touchscreen headunits. Now we need Kenwood, JVC and maybe Clarion on board and the mission is accomplished as they are like 90% of afterunit market. As for Sony, I have doubts they will support a rival platform though.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Not sure how much I'd need this, but it will probably be increasingly prevalent. I wouldn't be interested in after market upgrade, if my next vehicle has it fine, if not, no big deal.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
My only question is how fast/smooth will this run? I desperately want to replace the Uconnect in my Chrysler with something that actually is decent, but want it to be as fluid as an iPad in speed, etc.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
So this will be just a software update, no wires or any other hardware/wiring to add?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
You can get the cheapest one for $550 on eBay. Once the firmware update hits and I see done reviews I'll prob bite the bullet and get it

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My current car is over 10 years old, so excuse my question. Since when were we able to do firmware updates to car stereos? Is it done over wifi or cell or do you need to take it into a shop to have the firmware upgraded?

I think this is awesome that means stereos do not become obsolete as fast, but I am interested in the logistics of this.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
My current car is over 10 years old, so excuse my question. Since when were we able to do firmware updates to car stereos? Is it done over wifi or cell or do you need to take it into a shop to have the firmware upgraded?

I think this is awesome that means stereos do not become obsolete as fast, but I am interested in the logistics of this.

If you look at the image above you can see the little "LTE" on the receiver. I imagine most are ota, but if the unit has USB that may be an option also.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
boom!

i was the guy who contacted Pioneer and got the first report/quote when i emailed them about CarPlay and whether they would support it, say in a new AppRadio model. this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.

At the Geneva Motor Show, Apple announced CarPlay and has finalized and shared the CarPlay specification.

Currently, Pioneer is studying the possibility to implement CarPlay compatibility with both existing and future products.

Sincerely,
[redacted]
Customer Service Representative​

...some of the posters here doubted this meant anything, but there ya go -- coming this summer. im certain they will next bring it to the latest AppRadio model, which is their lower-tier, touch-based iOS unit head, which typically retails for $300-$400.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

These are aftermarket units with USB/SD and all sorts of goodies as they represent Pioneer's flagship models. The firmware can be updated using the USB ports it provides (or the SD slot, not sure which in this case).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Fuuuuuuuuuuu......... Have an AppRadio 3. I want CarPlay support.

it'll happen. hopefully we get a firmware update next. but if not, even spending another $300-400 for the AR 4 is cheaper than getting one of the top-tier CP-enabled head units.

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if they will bring any video support to carplay. And no not while driving, but I spend some stationary time in my car where it would be nice.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
i was the guy who contacted Pioneer and got the first report/quote when i emailed them about CarPlay and whether they would support it, say in a new AppRadio model.

...some of the posters here doubted this meant anything, but there ya go -- coming this summer. im certain they will next bring it to the latest AppRadio model, which is their lower-tier, touch-based iOS unit head, which typically retails for $300-$400.

Well, I guess occasionally rumors on MR are actually correct! Who'd have thunk?;)

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009

Well, given that it runs an operating system, it can stake a claim to be a computer as much as the smart phone and so the firmware update need not be to flash some FPGA or anything. It may just be some software loaded onto it.

Once you view it in that light, getting the sw on it becomes the trivial part. You can get as fancy as OTA but that is not needed.

Having said that, the Pioneer announcement is pretty cool.

This makes me think about another possibility. Alpine always made removable stereos. You just pull it out and take it with you. ( one time, just one time, I forgot and damn it it got stoen. It was so easy for the thief to pull it out too.. but I digress ). When you pull it out what remains are the speakers.

Why not extend that concept to this. QNX runs on blackberry devices today, right? Why not have a display, speakers and microphone as one unit and have a removable computer to acts as the QNX host.

There are probably some Raspberry Pi enthusiasts putting together such things.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Solves it for me. Although I love Pioneers interface over Alpine, I prefer Alpine brand. Hoping Alpine keeps prices low and doesn't gouge consumers like Pioneer by forcing you to buy NEX line when I basically just want AppRadio with Carplay.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
For less money, you can also dash-mount an iPad and use it at home... These prices are ridiculous!

theyre different products. the top-tier head units are nav-equipped (wifi ipad doesnt have GPS chip) DVD entertainment decks + HD radio that can run a bunch of audio equipment in your car like external subs, external GPS antenna, in-car mic, rear camera, steering-wheel controls, etc. may not be your cup of tea but the top units have been this price for a decade, long before CarPlay existed.

also, mounting an ipad in your car will require either: 1) expensive custom install work to hack apart your dash, or 2) a ghetto mount that holds it up in the air, which looks ridiculous, invites theft, and cant drive exterior audio equipment.

Last edited:

RadioGuy01

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
OR, I could buy a $300 iPad Mini and Velcro it to the dashboard.

I must be missing something here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.