Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
ok great - Follow up question, if I use the HDMI+Apple adapters (required for appradio function on 5S) will using that combo error out Carplay? (USB Lightening direct only)

I have no clue. That gets into the realm of "someone needs some actual hardware and tries it out". In that particular case, it is more a question of if it will confuse the Pioneer or not.

My guess is that you will need to select between CarPlay and AppRadio in the settings, and it should work in that case. But that doesn't mean much when software can and does have bugs.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I have the AVH-4000NEX and if I try to hook just USB to firewire to iPhone 5S, it does not work at all. I assume the firmware update to enable carplay will change that and hooking up USB to firewire to iPhone 5S will be sufficient to use carplay.
My question is, will I still want to or can I still have HDMI connected along with USB to enable video play from iPhone.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
I get that it can't be the cheapest, but how is what's basically a glorified iPhone mirror more expensive than the top-end iPhone?? :confused:

Id think this has its own gps and because they can, any name brand double din gps recover I've seen for the past 5 years at least has started around $700 and up. Even the cheap brands have their GPS receivers come in at $400-$500.

mattkilla420

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
san diego
Well, it does have several things that a phone doesn't. Like an HD radio, audio amplifier, larger screen, DVD player, etc. But yeah, these things are pretty high priced. A better comparison IMO is to a home audio device. So, how can one of the best home receivers around be MSRP $1300 (Denon X4000), and some of these little car devices are more?

Like you said it does have things like the hd radio and other things like bt, gps (I would assume) a touch screen and small form factor to fit an "amp" inside. But amps found inside receivers, even the high end ones are a complete joke and you would need an external amp/s to get to anytime of the same level as a home theatre denon receiver. But to answer your question, I think a lot has to do with they can price it that high but also smaller form factor, touch screen and less wattage compared to a home receiver.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
Never fear everyone, I'm the early adopter you need (not the one you deserve, or something like that :rolleyes: ). I'm installing my 4000 NEX unit this weekend, so I will have some time to mess with it without CarPlay and will wait patiently for the firmware update. If it is true that CarPlay will work entirely over USB, maybe I will skip buying the Pioneer cable and Apple adapter for AppRadio.

For the doubters and haters, I was going to buy an aftermarket receiver anyway, because I'm on the road a lot and the stock radio in the Mazda3 plus my $30 bluetooth receiver solution sucks. If CarPlay works well, it's going to be pretty awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.