Pioneer Working to Resolve iOS 11 Compatibility Issue With Select Receivers

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Pioneer has informed customers it has discovered an incompatibility between iOS 11 and AppRadio Mode on certain in-dash receivers it sells.

[​IMG]

If you connect an iPhone or iPod touch that has been updated to iOS 11 and launch AppRadio Mode, you will experience a blank screen or other display malfunction that disables AppRadio Mode, according to the company.

Pioneer said it is working to resolve the issue and will update a notice posted on its website once firmware updates for the receivers are available. For now, the only solution to maintain compatibility is to remain on iOS 10.

AppRadio Mode is Pioneer's own interface for running over 30 compatible smartphone apps, browsing the web, navigating, and listening to music, podcasts, and internet radio through your car's speakers.

Pioneer's list of affected models include many AVH, AVIC, and SPH receivers, some of which double as aftermarket CarPlay systems.

(Thanks, Lawrence!)

Article Link: Pioneer Working to Resolve iOS 11 Compatibility Issue With Select Receivers

2. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

AppRadio stopped working on mine and I was thrilled because now it doesn't hijack my phone when I open Waze.

3. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

All of these “manufacturers’ own interfaces” always end up being garbage. I wish they would just get out of the way and stop trying to shove their middleware into everyone’s situation.

4. DblHelix macrumors 6502

Gross incompetence. They should have known about this with beta one and had a fix day of release

5. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

They had 3 months to fix it the app radio app still hasnt even updated u into plus size models pioneer is poor

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

People still use AppRadio? I much prefer CarPlay.

7. stillcrazyman macrumors 68020

stillcrazyman

My 8201Nex is working fine with iOS11. I don't have any desire to use the AppRadio part of the system. CarPlay all the way and the built in Nav for when I'm out of cell range.

8. EBone12355 macrumors member

EBone12355

I have the Pioneer AppRadio 4 with CarPlay and it works fine with my iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 11. The AppRadio has been updated to firmware 1.18 which was available last month. No issues.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    AppRadio is the name of certain Pioneer receivers. They are fully CarPlay compatible.

9. Fousthvk macrumors newbie

Fousthvk

I can’t make calls or use Siri since iOS 11 with my pioneer/CarPlay. It is like it can’t hear me. Works fine with ios 10.

10. coolfactor macrumors 601

Pioneer usually has my respect, but this is inexcusable. Didn't they know about this during the beta TESTING period of iOS 11?

11. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

I agree, Car Play is garbage

12. nathansz macrumors regular

cars are for driving.

all of this **** should be disabled.

13. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

As are most things made by Apple, right?

You're not going to stop a large majority of people from making poor decisions while driving, so you might as well put the information they're looking for in a safer place that's easier to access.

14. nathansz macrumors regular

You're not going to stop a large majority of people from making poor decisions while driving, so you might as well put the information they're looking for in a safer place that's easier to access.[/QUOTE]

you are correct :(

15. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I own an affected unit and don't even know what the hell "AppRadio" is. When I plug my phone in it launches Car Play and it has worked great through all the betas.

16. QuarterSwede, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

AppRadio mode is in most higher end Pioneer head units regardless of name. I have an affected head unit myself, the popular AVH-4100NEX, and have never once wanted AppRadio mode over CarPlay.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Completely disagree. It was a rough start at first in iOS 9 but iOS 10 improved on its reliability and in iOS 11 it’s pretty fast and even more solid. I spend most of my driving time in it (as opposed to my Pioneer unit’s native UI).

17. Stiltz99 macrumors newbie

I have an Avic 8200 Nex, and have loved it. iOS11 makes car play a little nicer, especially the maps. I have never even tried AppRadio though, CarPlay is too nice/convenient for me. But, to each their own, and it sucks for those that are affected.

18. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Typical Pioneer. I had the first couple AppRadio head units, they sucked. Crummy software, poorly supported. These bozos didn’t even beta test iOS 11..

19. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

I’m having an unrelated issue in my Ford where when I ask Siri to play music, it no longer automatically switches to the Bluetooth audio input.

20. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

??? I’m confused. What car stereo does Apple actually make and what system does ANYONE make with CarPlay natively embedded?

21. AppleZilla macrumors regular

CarPlay keeps disconnecting from my head unit in my 2017 Camaro since iOS 11. Restarting my iPhone 7+ each and every time seems to fix it, but this is getting old.

22. djdj macrumors member

CarPlay seems to be affected in some ways too. I started getting an error message on my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX occasionally the day I installed iOS 11. Unplugging it and plugging it back in solves the problem, but it's a little annoying that I have to go through this.

23. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Let's see, we have
    1) An auto maker's hardware+firmware
    2) A second layer of hardware+firmware from a third party
    3) Apple's own brew of software seeking a competitive edge

What could possibly go wrong here? :rolleyes:

24. matt.b macrumors newbie

matt.b

--- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    And this is why I moved away from Pioneer and went with an Alpine ILX-007. It's upgraded smoothly through 3 iOS versions without any firmware patches because they followed all of the standards and don't add in their own garbage.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I’ve found waiting till the 4100 is completely booted before plugged it in solves all the issues I had with CarPlay not launching or it crashing.