Pirates 3 Continues Trend of Crappy Threeqals

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheBobcat, May 23, 2007.

1. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Just got back from our employee screening of Pirates Three (work at a movie theatre).

*vague spoilers but nothing specific*

It reminds me a lot of Spiderman 3 in that they try and do waaaay too much just to fit it all in since its the end of the series. However, it ends up with extremely intricate who-is-backstabbing-who storylines. It really gets quite confusing at times. I don't know about you guys, but all the British naval officers with white wigs all start to look the same after awhile and I really had no idea what was going on half the time.

Also, most conversations are two sentence exchanges followed by an establishing shot that lasts too long of a ship sailing.

Good special effects and all that, but its very average. Just that feeling that you did it all before with nothing really new in the mix, and all the traits that made the first one decent either shoved down your throat or watered down.

GOD will one blockbuster this summer be good? I'm looking at you, Transformers.

Threeqals Left: Oceans 13, Bourne Ultimatum

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I have hope for the Bourne Ultimatum.

All I want from Ocean's Thirteen is for it to be better than Twelve, which was abjectly awful.

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

dang!

friends are "forcing" me to watch it with them. and i had this funny feeling that it will be an average film. i haven't seen spiderman 3 and i also had this feeling about that film (how was it anyway?).

come to think of it. i haven't seen shrek 3 either... :rolleyes:

so my question is, is it worth the money?

4. TheBobcat thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Well the bad news is that at our theatre, the running time with previews, (which are for HORRIFIC Disney family flicks, sans National Treasure 2) is 2 hours and 58 minutes. :eek:

So, it really is a lot to sit through. A lot of the employees left during the screening out of boredom. Its very plodding, and if you lose your place in whats going on it can be very frustrating. Also, if you didn't see Pirates 2, you will have a lot of assuming to do as all of that is never really recapped.

Its just...not that of a good movie. If you are in love with the series, then by all means see it since most fans will be satisfied just to see Depp in the role again (although he doesn't have the same swagger). For a casual movie goer, especially one who doesn't remember what happened in the last one, I'd pass.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Usually when they get to the third movie it is just a quick money grab.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Except for when they shoot parts two and three at the same time. ;)

Lethal

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I am going to see it in about a week when I get back from my holiday to Spain :)

8. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

They're doing another Jason Bourne film? :eek: Awesome! :) I'll look forward more to this than I am to Pirates 3 or Transformers...... The latter two I'd go and see just for the visual effects and couldn't care much for "the story" they pretend to have..

9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Shreck three IMO was a great little flick, but the critics didn't think much of it. As far as Bourne goes I got kind of turned off to them when I read the books, they movies took the series in a COMPLETELY different direction. I'll agree that oceans 12 wasn't nearly as good as 11 but it was still a good movie, Ocean's 13 I have high hopes for.

As for pirates- I'll be there at eight (well I'll get there at 7 to make sure I get good seats) hoping that it'll live up to the second movie (which was... incredible).

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

To quote The Dude, "This is a bummer, man."

I have high hopes for the movie and I'll definitely still be seeing it this weekend. Oh well, maybe now my expectations will be a little lower and I won't be disappointed when I leave the theater...

11. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Damn I was looking forward to it.

I'm still gunna take the lady to it tonight though.

12. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

The trailer is brilliant.. I don't think it will be that bad! the first 2 were excellent IMO.. Tomorow we will see:)

13. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Tomorrow? I thought y'all were ahead of us here in the states?

14. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Yeah I am going to see Pirates tomorrow and I am really not exited... ugh :(

Pirates 3 = Will suck
    Shrek 3 = olld jokes
    Spiderman 3 = Boring middle.. 4 endings.. bleh

That is $21 dollars wasted.. could have saved up for a shuffle.. :rolleyes:
    Not counting popcorn and coke..

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I saw it yesterday...

Pirates 1: Great
    Pirates 2: Dreadful
    Pirates 3: Mediocre

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ah, but they started early and started reaching into your pockets at #2.

Transformers will disappoint like no other.

17. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

The movie was pretty good, I loved it up until the end, where IMO it just kind of fizzled.

Abstract- I'm hoping beyond hoping that what you just said about transformers is not true. I was as bubbly as a school girl when they announced the movie, so if it sucks I'll be quite dissapointed. :(

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

bold emphasis was my addendum.

i havent seen it nor do I want to.

The 1st movie, was alright. Depp is awesome, always has been and he makes even crappy crap crap crap, tolerable. Even for 2+ hours....

Which brings me to why #2, and definitely #3 are completely un-necessary. They are SO long, and SO drawn out, and SO much is just stupid banter between characters with NO plot development. Other times its 100% CGI, which is just craptastic.

When I watched #2, not Depp, no boobies could keep me from thinking this movie just stole 3hrs of my life like a nicotine laced Twizzler.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My girls saw it last night and liked it, but they love Johnny Depp.

I mostly wanted to see how Keith Richards does in the movie.

Guess I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

20. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

He's part wasn't nearly as large as I thought it would be, he didn't wow me in any way shape or form.

21. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I can't wait for the Bourne Ultimatum. I'm going to skip Pirates 3, I didn't even bother to see the second one. I heard on the radio the other day that Johnny Depp is willing to make a fourth one too...

22. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Do you say this because you've seen or because you expect it to disappoint?

I don't expect the movie to win any awards, but I'll be happy if the movie is mostly faithful to the Transformers I know and love and there's decent action to keep me entertained throughout. That's all I ask.

23. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Saw the new Pirates movie last night.

I'm no movie critic, but I thought it was good. Yeah, it was a little confusing, but I was pretty tired and I didn't really follow along anyways.

Besides, I'm just in it for the special effects and Keira. :D

24. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Kiera did look danged hot in the movie. :D