Pirates 4: On Stranger Tides

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, May 19, 2011.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides opens tomorrow
    Looking forward to seeing it this weekend

Watched the first 3 again the past two weeks to get ready
    I have really enjoyed this franchise and hope this one keeps the same level

Anyway, here is a place to discuss it if anyone feels inclined
    Spoilers are OK, but just announce them in advance please

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am with yeah, I will be seeing this one to. Looks interesting to say the least.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I thought the first one was the best. Didn't really care for 2 & 3 but I'll probably see this one anyway.

4. redwarrior, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I had watched them a while back, but didn't really get too excited over them. MacDawg and I watched them again together (in preparation for 4) and had a great time pausing and discussing them all the way through. It was great fun and we thoroughly enjoyed it; I have a new appreciation for them now, because I understand the plots and subplots.

We are really looking forward to going to the opening tomorrow night (Edit: oops, I meant Saturday night) with my daughter and her boyfriend. We won't be able to pause and discuss, so Dawg will be very talkative once it's over. :p

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought 3 was essentially an end to the story (only Depp is in this one, right?). So, how does 4 come about?

6. MacDawg, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

At the end of 3 Captain Jack Sparrow steals the map to the Fountain of Youth and is sailing off in his dinghy following his compass that points to what he wants most.

One of the trailers...

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really don't see what the point of 3D is in this movie, just like I thought it took away from Thor. It appears to make the dark parts too dark. Anyway, we don't intend on finding out. No 3D on this one.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I plan on picking up the parents and taking them to see it.. perhaps not opening weekend, but the one after.

This is one of those films you must enjoy on the large screen. :cool:

9. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Yes please, looking extremely forward to this :)

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

From what I understand the book was so good they decided to make the movie. It looks like it's written by the same team that did the first one(s). I can't say I was that impressed with 2 & 3 as they seemed only to be made because the first was a hit but I've heard good things about the story in 4.

11. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Saw the movie last night... and in my opinion, clearly at the bottom of the four

This is the review I wrote for my blog
    No spoilers here really... nothing much to spoil in the plot

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Dawg.. I couldn't agree more. From the beginning scene with the chase on the two wagons, I had a hard time staying. There was some parts that were down right stupid/horrible/boarding on absurd if you will. Some of the action was way to long and the story seemed to lag all the way through the film. I didn't think they could really make a pirate movie worse then number three but they did. Don't get me wrong there were a few good parts, I really liked Black Beard characters also, and I would say he stole show. Jack Sparrow's character seemed almost like an after thought too. This movie seemed like another reason to get Johnny into a pirate outfit. The part with the christian guy and the mermaid. Horrible.

Cruz's character I thought was down right awful. Didn't see the point of really having her in the film.

I thought the overall film was fun and defiantly a check your brain at the door type movie. But it is defiantly at the bottom of the barrel of all four films.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Completely agree. I saw it today as well, and I was expecting the movie to be horrible after reading reviews, so due to low expectations it seemed mediocre to me. Pretty disappointed.

14. Gebtart macrumors newbie

Going to see this movie in a few days and I can't wait. The Pirates of the Carribean series are the only movies I actually like Johnny Depp in. He just fills the role of Jack Sparrow so perfectly.

15. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Beginning to wonder if the missionary might not be Depp and Cruz's son
    Jack was first with her in a convent
    She was protective of the kid and the only reason he was alive
    The timeline is probably about right from when Jack was with her

A little something for the next movie?
    He was rescued by the mermaid and then we heard nothing more... loose end

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Fixed that there for you. It seems that directors don't know either because all they keep doing with it is the same lame "lookout! sword/fist/grenade getting thrown into the audience!" gimmick which frankly was old before the it was even done the first time.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Loose end defiantly. [spoiler alert] However me and the wife were thinking the guy that is brought up by the fisherman in the beginning was the missionary guy. Which would bring about time travel etc.... Not that something like could occur in a pirates movie filled with "What I want compass, or sword that controllers the ship" type effects![/spoiler alert]

One seen I did like that paid homage to the ride was the when Jack and Barboso where on the boat and they had the skeleton looking at the map with all the gold around him. The interaction between the two when they were laying on the bed was great!

18. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Saw it over the weekend, overall thought it was a great flick.

Lately I have been hating on 3D movies because I really think it takes away more from the film (Thor was terrible in 3d, you couldn't see any of the action because it moved too fast imo.) however I really enjoyed the 3D in this movie. Best 3d imo since avatar and i rather enjoyed the 3d part.

I enjoyed the 1st and 2nd pirates, wasn't a big fan of the 3rd, but I did like this one too.

there were no swords/grenades/fists or anything of the sort in this 3D implementation... it was actually pretty good and i have been a big hater of 3D in films lately so take that for what you will.

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Really ? Because from the preview, where the sword comes through the door, there we go. Watch out audience, sword!

It was also in the many reviews I saw about the 3D version, yet another lame "sword swinging towards the crowd" effect. Our morning man on radio even ranted about it for 2 minutes.

20. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hey Audience... SWORD!!!

i quite enjoyed it, i think they are all better for ceirtain reasons... mermaids ftw though haha

21. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

no the sword through the door wasn't a pop out to the audience... there really weren't any in the film that i noticed. Certainly none as bad as other films (clash of the titans, resident evil, final destination, etc.)

22. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

im not into all this 3D crap, i went to see it in 2D :)

23. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yeah i am not a big fan of 3d lately either... it was cool in avatar, sucked in every movie i've seen since, but imo it wasn't bad in this one, didn't detract from the experience like it did in Thor.

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is the big reason I do not like 3D. With the exception of Avatar, 3D always takes me out of the movie. I agree with Knight, hey look here is sword/knife/gun/finger in your face etc. I pretty much refuse to watch any movie in 3D. I would rather watch the 2D version. Just my opinion.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's valid.

A play is in 3D as well, so it has 'depth', but the actors don't jump out at you.

A Classic SCTV moment. :D