Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Here is a paragraph from CNN's news article about the latest piracy incidents

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/05/07/somalia.pirates.foiled/index.html

A Dutch cargo crew in the Gulf of Aden wasn't so lucky Thursday, the maritime center said. The small cargo vessel was hijacked, likely by Somali pirates, while sailing west in the transit corridor. The crew of eight Dutch sailors, who had Coca-Cola on board, altered the craft's course toward Somalia, the center said. The crew is believed to be unhurt.

I don't get the significance of Coca-Cola on board. What am I missing here?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I assume the ship's cargo was Coca-Cola.
Even so, the article does not talk about the cargo of the other ships in the article. Besides, I doubt a whole ship would be filled with Coke bottles.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I can understand that a ship with tanks or food aide stuffs onboard is worth a mention in the news. But Coca-Cola?

I bet the pirates are secretly replacing the HFCS with cane sugar :p

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
This makes no sense to me.

Coca-Cola is bottled all over the world. Specifically, there's several Coca-Cola plants in that part of the world. It usually doesn't make sense to ship Coke because it's more cost effective to just make the stuff locally. I used to drive by the Coca Cola plant in Nairobi and Kampala all the time.

And it tastes a lot better than the North American crap because they use real sugar.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Perhaps if sailors thought the pirates had the Swine Flu that more steps would be made to prevent capture. Obviously, Coca-Cola on board isn't enough of a deterrent.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
This makes no sense to me.

Coca-Cola is bottled all over the world. Specifically, there's several Coca-Cola plants in that part of the world. It usually doesn't make sense to ship Coke because it's more cost effective to just make the stuff locally. I used to drive by the Coca Cola plant in Nairobi and Kampala all the time.

Coke doesn't allow anyone to make their top-secret Coca-Cola "syrup" locally.

"The actual production and distribution of Coca-Cola follows a franchising model. The Coca-Cola Company only produces a syrup concentrate, which it sells to various bottlers throughout the world who hold Coca-Cola franchises for one or more geographical areas. The bottlers produce the final drink by mixing the syrup with filtered water and sugar (or artificial sweeteners) and then carbonate it before filling it into cans and bottles, which the bottlers then sell and distribute to retail stores, vending machines, restaurants and food service distributors." [Wikipedia]

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Why is it so hard to prevent piracy?

If sailors carry weapons on board to defend themselves from pirates, the ship will not be allowed to enter many international ports. So cargo comes before safety. And sailors are forced to use water hoses to defend themselves from pirates with fully automatic weapons. :rolleyes:

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Coke doesn't allow anyone to make their top-secret Coca-Cola "syrup" locally.

"The actual production and distribution of Coca-Cola follows a franchising model. The Coca-Cola Company only produces a syrup concentrate, which it sells to various bottlers throughout the world who hold Coca-Cola franchises for one or more geographical areas. The bottlers produce the final drink by mixing the syrup with filtered water and sugar (or artificial sweeteners) and then carbonate it before filling it into cans and bottles, which the bottlers then sell and distribute to retail stores, vending machines, restaurants and food service distributors." [Wikipedia]

Oh. Hadn't thought of that. Interesting b/c I always associate the syrup with the fast food fountain cylinders, yet I knew that the formulation was top secret. Cool.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
The Coca-Cola Company only produces a syrup concentrate, which it sells to various bottlers throughout the world who hold Coca-Cola franchises for one or more geographical areas. The bottlers produce the final drink by mixing the syrup with filtered water and sugar (or artificial sweeteners) and then carbonate it before filling it into cans and bottles,
Almost every country has one of these bottlers, so there is less of a need to transport the actual drinkable product. The concentrate takes up much less space, so it just sounds quite unlikely to have such a large load of it to fill a whole ship.

Anyways, I hope the sailors are released soon. I've read that the hostages are released after three days on average, but it must be very stressful for their families nonetheless.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Almost every country has one of these bottlers, so there is less of a need to transport the actual drinkable product. The concentrate takes up much less space, so it just sounds quite unlikely to have such a large load of it to fill a whole ship.

Are you still in denial? :D

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
We need to launch the SEAL Teams now!!! We can't have all that Coca-Cola falling into the wrong hands.

Seriously...I hope the hostages are released unharmed soon. I would have to differ with the three days of captivity average. There are some that have been held for years. They are typically held until the ransom is paid.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Are you still in denial? :D
Yes. It is so unfair that these guys get their dirty hands on our Coca-Colas. Our national pride is on the line. Time for a military intervention. This time they went too far. :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
If sailors carry weapons on board to defend themselves from pirates, the ship will not be allowed to enter many international ports. So cargo comes before safety. And sailors are forced to use water hoses to defend themselves from pirates with fully automatic weapons. :rolleyes:

No the issue is that if they have/use weapons the pirates are more likely to kill them.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hmm. So what would a pirate do with a whole ship full of Cola syrup? I know!

Get the Ninjas over and have a slumber party!

I've heard of this bloke who is able to drink any bottle of coke and identify where in the world it was produced. All the bottling factories use local water, which all tastes slightly differently. Apparently. After many years of practice no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.