Pirating Question: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Jan 23, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I am a big fan of the music of the Grateful Dead and already own an embarrassingly large amount of their music, both official releases and live shows in the form of audience bootlegs and soundboard recordings.

Last week it was announced that ALL of the shows from the Europe '72 tour will be released in a special limited edition box set containing 60 discs at a price of $450.00.

(http://www.dead.net/features/release-info/holy-s-it-s-complete-europe-72-box-over-60-discs).

For fans of the band this is HUGE, the box set has sold out but they will be releasing individual shows later on that you can get on disc.

Here is my problem. I've got my order in, and have already been inundated by people that are asking me to copy ALL 60 DISCS over to their hard drive, with the expectation that I would do this for free....

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this. Ive traded music in the past, but this is a little different. Not only is this a ton of money, but Im also thinking these people really have a set of balls to ask me to supply them with this music essentially for free.

Thoughts?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would tell them no. Tell them to wait until the individual shows are released and they can buy them then.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Technically, whether you do it for free or for money, you're still illegally pirating music, so you might as well get compensation for your time.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree
    The issue shouldn't be whether to do it for free or charge

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd tell them to pound sand unless you know they'd do it for you.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Personally, I would say no. Even if it was completely legal, the people in question have shown an 'expectation' that you will not only do a favor that you do something that would take lots of your time up. They are also expecting that you would give them your $500 of music for free. Expectation of things like that is IMO not a good character trait.

And I really wish I didn't see this as I am a bit of a Deadhead myself.

8. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

No.

For one thing, I am really not down 100% with the pirating thing, though I would be lying if I said I never downloaded any torrents.

If it was one very close friend and someone who I knew would do me a solid favor at some point I would not mind hooking them up, but it is not anyone like that, they are basically "fringe" friends. People I associate with but I would not really call friends.

Like I said, I also think it takes ALOT of nerve to ask someone your not best buds with to basically give them almost $500.00 worth of music for free.

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

No.

But without researching it, it sounds like a stupid move to cut off preorder sales.

10. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I hear that! Im no stranger to dropping wads of cash on frivolous stuff, but things have been pretty tight lately. If it was not for the fact that you don't have to pony up the money until the fall I would not have done this.

Also, as an FYI I heard that the "sunshine daydream" movie will be getting released on DVD this year also.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They should spend their own money for their own legal copy.

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You definitely shouldn't feel under any obligation to do it. I can understand that people may be disappointed about not being able to get hold of a copy (or not being able to afford it) but asking someone else to pirate it for them is not the way to go!

If they just want the music then, as you say, they can pick it up legally later and I'm sure someone else will put the whole thing out there to torrent eventually.

As a final thought, surely the nice thing about these box sets is owning all of the extras that come with it too!

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

with the dead I'd say pirating is ok and encouraged for the most part. they aren't exactly law abiding

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

I gave that website a quick read.

Unless I'm confused, it looks like the original 7200 copies sold out in 4 days.

But now they are apparently locking people out that didn't preorder, but allowing people that did to purchase additional copies via codes they are e-mailing out?

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's a lot of money for music, no doubt. With that said, what do you expect from a jam-band? There is nothin like when you're feeling the melody and you just roll with it for a half hour or more.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Actually Jerry used to encourage people to tape their shows ... If any Band supported copies of their music ... it was the Grateful Dead.

They defined the term "Bootleg" :cool:

18. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i wouldn't. for jam bands or anything that allows trading its usually good practice to tape and trade the live shows until they're officially released, then you take those out of circulation. just a way to support the group.

19. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I would say No without hesitation. You said yourself that they are not close friends. I would do it only in case it was my father or brother but that's about it.

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Personally, I would not copy it for them, paid or otherwise. Either tell them to buy them individually, or allow them to borrow it (at which time they will likely copy it, but at least it's their own time and act).

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When big publishers or whoever deliberately print a minimal number of copies - yeah, they're just begging for piracy.

You can set iTunes up to rip and eject CD's which makes it so convenient, but 60 discs? There's nothing convenient about that!