Pissed OFF! (In the Apple Store)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SeanAppleDude, Oct 11, 2009.

1. SeanAppleDude macrumors member

SeanAppleDude

SO, my bluetooth has disappeared from my computer about a month ago. I never got around to taking it to the Apple Store, until 2 days ago. About a day before, unfortunatly, I let one of my sisters use my Macbook Pro 13". She dropped it :(
    Heres a pic of the damage:

Side note: NOTHING is wrong with the computer besides the bluetooth, which was broken for a while. The optical Drive is fine. Reads and Writes perfectly.
    A Genius at the Apple Store tells me that if they send it out to be repaired (because yes, the bluetooth module was in fact broken) that it may be rejected because of the damage on the case.
    After that, I got the manager to order the parts for an in store repair, but he told me that After this it would be the last time that I would get repairs for free under the warranty.
    ME = Pissed Off!

Is there anyway to get your mac checked out so that if you have any future problems they can't say the warranty is void because of THIS blemish???

Attached Files:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

They have to cut the warranty off some where. They would go broke if they fixed everybody's computer that has been damaged.

I think you got lucky, i don't think dropping it is covered.

4. nebarik macrumors member

yeah dude. dont be angry, be happy u got the bluetooth fixed for free. dropping is not covered under warraty at all. to the point where all future repairs wont be in warranty

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I understand both sides, simply a matter of policy.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I don't see the problem with what Apple is saying. I mean for all they know, the BT IS not working due to irresponsibility and poor handling of your Mac.

You are probably better off going to ifixit.com and buying the lower case. Your warranty is probably void right now. If you fix the case, then you are probably good to go, UNLESS they noted on the repair invoice (on their system) that it was dropped, then you are SOL; since all Apple Stores (and possibly the repair depot) will have notes on your computer as being dropped.

7. cbbob macrumors member

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Harsh suggestion.

9. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Well put, certainly clear argument for either side. How large was the drop because it really doesn't look bad to me? My computer has suffered a few small dents and scratch and I have been told the same thing by the geniuses.

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Scratch? Take a closer look. The case is dented.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Question: Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Answer: Because your sister might drop your computer and then you're royally screwed.

Lesson Learned: Don't procrastinate.

12. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I think people are being way too harsh on the OP. Yes I can see Apple's point and agree with Apple, but show the guy a little sympathy!

AnDy

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Not really. If the computer breaks, out of warranty, and its her fault, unless she is like 5 years old, she should have to at least contribute to a new computer. You break it, you buy it.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Can you imagine the logistics of that? It would require every Mac owner to take a photo of all sides of their computers every day (at least once) and send it to Apple. Plus, you'd have to be able to document exactly when you first noticed a problem. Otherwise, how could you "prove" the damage to the inside was done before the damage to the outside?

As someone else said, you shouldn't be angry with Apple. But, maybe you were meaning that you are angry with your sister. Better yet, be upset that life has obstacles, overcome them, and give your sister a break, (no pun intended) especially if she didn't do anything malicious.

And, you could try going to a different Apple Store next time, and give them your sob story. Take a little sandpaper to the dent to make it look older.

15. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Like you say though, she may only be 5. And so what if she is older, accidents of all magnitude can and do happen in life.

AnDy

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Oh, of course, but if she is older (and has a sense of responsibilty) she should have to at least contribute for damaging the computer, and directly voiding his warranty.

17. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Personally, as a 24 yr old, if it was me who had dropped it I would have to contribute to a new one. All i'm saying is cut the OP some slack!

AnDy

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Why do I need to cut the OP slack? When did I ever make a remark towards him? I didnt make the original statement, nor did I insult him. Im just saying the sister has some responsibilty in the matter.

19. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

OK OK I take your point! But I was saying it in general and not directed towards you!

20. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm sympathetic, mainly because, take my word on this one, I've done countless silly, stupid, or ignorant things just like this in my life and they've come back to bite me. Having problems like this totally stinks, but it serves to drive home the point that when it comes to important stuff that you use regularly, don't procrastinate.

You know what I'm talking about. Don't put it off when the oil or check engine light come on in the car. Don't put it off when the utility bill is jacked up and for some strange reason you're being charged three times your normal rate. This world is a harsh place and you've got to stay on top of stuff especially when we're talking about warranty related matters.

As far as Apple's decision goes. They are totally justified in what they are doing. Does it stink in the OP's case because the circumstances seem innocent enough, yes. But, countless people try to have things serviced when they know it is out of warranty or the damage was caused by them. I remember when I worked at a warehouse club in college and this guy brought in a window air conditioner with a huge dent on one side. He claimed that the unit was this way when he pulled it out the box. The box wasn't dented at all and the way things were damaged it was obvious he had dropped it out of the window while trying to install it. Our manager took the return and swapped it out for the customer, but only if he would admit that the damage was his fault.

As others have stated Apple is being nice in doing the repair. They have no way of knowing if the drop is what caused this damage or not. I think they are showing good customer service. No doubt the situation is frustrating, but the attitude towards any company that fixes something when they don't have to should be gratitude.

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Ah, well, I digress then. Glad we can find some understanding.
    (In the future, when making sweeping remarks, while quoting people, make sure you make a note that it is an open remark, not directed at the quoted person, rather to the whole thread. Just sayin'.

22. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Apple, Is not at fault here.

I hate seeing people like you in the Apple store, Pissed off, Trying to get crap from Apple and when they don't tell you what you want to hear, You go crazy on them.

Take care of your computers. It will help you in the long run.

~

Last time I'd let your sister use your computer..

23. kiddax macrumors newbie

While I can't totally sympathize with the OP, I can a little for dealing with the geniuses. Sometimes the geniuses in the store are completely out of line when making some judgment calls, which I understand has to be a important part of their job but they need to do it better.

I have an almost three year old MBP which has some miles on it. Dings, scratches, and even a minor curvature dent near the express card slot. All from tons of road usage over the three year period and NONE from dropping it or mishaps etc.

All at once I started having issues out of the blue with the return key not working, shutting of at 80% battery (even with new battery), and express card slot not working.

I took it in and based on the number of marks on the case the "Genius" would not look at it any further, would not repair it, and would not send it in to even be just evaluated by the technicians. I would have been okay with a rejection by them. But both he and the manager were very narrow minded and believed I damaged it to cause the issues which was not the case. Their attitude was very that, since it's not in pristine condition after three years we can't do anything for you. I was not leaving the store with a resolution without shelling out the $1200 according to them.

I had to get Apple customer relations involved, they sent me a box, upon receiving it Apple replaced both parts of the logic board and the keyboard and shipped it back out within 4 hours of receiving it.

Oh and by the way, I have been threatened by that "this is your last repair under apple care" statement before. I had a bad battery, that was even listed on the website as a recalled battery (by serial number) but when I got to the store they said my model wasn't being recalled. I made them replace it, and after the threat I never had issues otherwise. It seems they say it to attempt to steer off abuse whether your guilty or not.

24. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well if they repair the bluetooth like they agreed for free. I only see requiring her to pay for any future repairs and a bottom case if the op is a stickler for perfection. Though she should have the option of finding a repair facility of her choice.

edit: By future repairs. I mean any future repairs that may be required within the laptops expected warranty period, if the drop had not occurred.

On a side note why hasn't Apple introduced a toughbook of there own. I'm sure they could make one thinner and lighter than the other manufacturers.

25. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

No, I meant if it breaks (Like something that would be covered if not for the "blemish") then she should pay for the repair, because her actions voided his warranty, and had she not dropped it, he would have had it covered by Apple.