Pixar's Newest Film 'Onward' Arriving on Digital Platforms in the U.S. Tonight, Streaming on Disney+ April 3

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney and Pixar's new animated movie "Onward" is following the recent trend of movies arriving early on digital platforms amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Starting in the United States tonight, March 20 at 5 p.m. PT, "Onward" will be available to purchase on digital retail platforms like iTunes for $19.99 (via Variety).

Following this, the movie will be streaming for Disney+ subscribers beginning Friday, April 3. "Onward" was released in theaters two weeks ago, right as the coronavirus pandemic was beginning to spread across the United States.

Many studios are now releasing films early on digital, due to the fact that going to a movie theater is no longer feasible for most Americans. Beginning today, Universal films like "The Invisible Man," "The Hunt," and "Emma" are available to rent for $19.99 on iTunes and other platforms.

Article Link: Pixar's Newest Film 'Onward' Arriving on Digital Platforms in the U.S. Tonight, Streaming on Disney+ April 3

Reactions: DEXTERITY

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Yet they can’t put Rise of Skywalker on Disney+. :confused:
What? I thought it was already available. I was thinking I'd start my trial on April 3rd to watch Onward and Rise of Skywalker and maybe some other Disney movies, then end before Disney charges me.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
What? I thought it was already available. I was thinking I'd start my trial on April 3rd to watch Onward and Rise of Skywalker and maybe some other Disney movies, then end before Disney charges me.
Nope. Only available to purchase now. Digital rental begins on the 31st. No ETA on Disney+ at the moment.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

Dimwhit

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2007
Dang, they have to be taking a huge loss on this movie with only 2 weeks in the theater.

Reactions: Eidorian

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Dang, they have to be taking a huge loss on this movie with only 2 weeks in the theater.
All films have. that happens when you close theaters because of a virus. Imagine the Disney parks? High ticket prices, huge crowds and the risk of getting sick. Not the perfect storm for them. Marvel land won’t be enough to overcome all these obstacles.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I will be buying this tonight to watch with my daughter. Anything to support this trend of breaking out of the old style, I'm all in on. Families with small children or lots of social responsibilities (elderly parents, volunteering, etc) have trouble getting to the theater and being home where you can pause, rewind, have their favorite snacks, etc. with kids is so helpful. Will be nice to not be perpetually 6 months behind the "movie conversation" if this trend continues. And I pray it does.

Jensend

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
Not rent, BUY. Still expensive, I agree.
The Invisible Man is $20 to rent.

I’m not sure why that’s a better method than just allowing purchase for $20 with no rental option. How many people will rent a movie for $20 and then buy the movie at a later date?

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
All films have. that happens when you close theaters because of a virus. Imagine the Disney parks? High ticket prices, huge crowds and the risk of getting sick. Not the perfect storm for them. Marvel land won’t be enough to overcome all these obstacles.
I assume you even mean after the parks reopen, they're all closed now. Plus production on most of their Disney+ original series has been halted (like Falcon and Winter Soldier). They're going to take a beating. The stock is down about 30-40%. Still better than the cruise line stocks down 75% or so....

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I know the studios are taking a hit because of theater closings, but dang! -- $20 to RENT a movie? It would only cost me half that much if I saw it in an actual theater!
Just to clarify, $20 rental is for Universal's titles, such as "The Invisible Man," "The Hunt," and "Emma". $20 rental isn't too bad if:
  • You have pretty good home theater.
  • You don't want to wait few months for $4 rental.
  • At least 2 people will be watching it together.
Disney's "Onward" can be purchased for $20, and for streaming on Disney+ on April 3.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Onward... worst performing Pixar movie ever. It did around $61.5 million in ticket sales in North America over 2 weekends. Sonic the Hedgehog did around $106.5 million over 2 weekends in North America.

CarlJ

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I know the studios are taking a hit because of theater closings, but dang! -- $20 to RENT a movie? It would only cost me half that much if I saw it in an actual theater!
Ticket prices vary widely across the country. It would (have) cost considerably more than half that much to see it in an actual theater here. But they can't very well announce different online prices per-county. And, as others have noted, this price is for everyone in the house, rather than a single ticket.

I'm more surprised by the idea they're rolling it over to Disney+ that fast. Could contribute to some new subscriptions, but it could nearly stop revenue from rentals/sales at that point.

Reactions: udance4ever
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.