Pixel 2 Reviews: Iterative Update Lacks 'Wow Factor' But Still 'Best Android Phone You Can Buy'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

The camera on the pixels still kill the iphone 8 without the chipset. Google promised 3 years of software updates. So what did you say again?

2. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Look at the blur of the buildings on the left and compare them to buildings on the right. It's a filter, not a true bokeh. However, it's a pretty sharp image for a cell phone camera.

3. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

I'm confident they know a lot more than that about you.

At the Techonomy conference in 2010, Eric Schmidt predicted that "true transparency and no anonymity" is the way forward for the internet: "In a world of asynchronous threats it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a [verified] name service for people. Governments will demand it." He also said that "If I look at enough of your messaging and your location, and use artificial intelligence, we can predict where you are going to go. Show us 14 photos of yourself and we can identify who you are. You think you don't have 14 photos of yourself on the internet? You've got Facebook photos!"

Imagine that much knowledge in the hands of the next Hitler/Stalin/Mao Tse-Tung/etc. Anyone who thinks it won't happen; history says they're wrong. There's a reason why Snowden risked his life to share what he did.

4. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

Ah... well like I said I've had a lot of Apple gear over the years, but over the last 6 months I've stepped out of the walled garden. I tried it a couple years ago and hated it. Things have greatly improved on the dark side... so enjoying it. I do like the discussion here. And this is a discussion about an Android phone.

5. magicman32 macrumors regular

magicman32

I don’t know. I’d kill for the iPhone non-X’s to have slimmed down top and bottom bezels like that and front firing speakers.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Not a requirement to discuss Apple products. Most of us made our bones with Apple long before iPhone

7. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

I think that was his point... that picture was horrible. The left and right buildings should've been blurred, not randomly blurred on the left while keeping the focus on the right. It's as if someone ran a PS blur filter on a random part of the image.

The fact that the editor called that good is why The Verge has no credibility and really shows the media's Google bias. If Apple released the Pixel 2, they would have been crucified for its poor design, inferior display, slower hardware, no 3D Touch, no taptic engine, no wireless charging, no secure enclave, removing the headphone jack to copy a competitor they made fun of just last year, etc. etc.

8. iDiots macrumors newbie

iDiots

I could not have said it better myself, Pixel 2 XL has been ordered ;)

9. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

You both like Kool-Aid, he just likes a different flavor. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    No, because its been 4 years with same phone.
    I have yet to see a SPC take a DoF shot that even resembles an SLR, but as they say, the best camera is the one you have with you.

10. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Best Android phone you can buy? LOL. I hate Samsung, but at the pixel price point, Galaxy S8 is a much better phone, with better water proofing, better screen, headphone jack, and dual SIM option. The Pixel is an expensive joke.

What's the best Android phone with stock Android today? Mi A1. Stock Android, same software support and updates as Pixel, dual camera, dual SIM, half the price.

11. Macintoshrumors macrumors regular

Macintoshrumors

it will in real world test. stay tuned. iPhone will also run laps around it in terms of real world performance. wait a few weeks for the tech vloggers on youtube to make videos.

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

it was a joke

13. citysnaps macrumors 68030

That's supposed to be a good photo? No thanks. Awful. One I'd never post.

14. Seoras macrumors regular

Seoras

No. A car's primary function is still to drive yourself from A to B.
    A "phone" (ie smart phone) isn't.
    Do a pie chart of typical smart phone usage. How much of the pie is actually telephone calls?
    So why do we still call it a phone?

15. Andreas56938 macrumors member

Andreas56938

Here is a ranking of some well known mobile phones:

1. Steve Jobs era iPhones
    2. Samsung Galaxy lines
    3. LG & Motorola
    4. Timmy Cook era iPhones
    5. Pixels

16. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Best part of best for this phone is that it gets its updated directly from Google w/o delays by a handset maker or phone network.

If you care about security, then you can only buy a google phone because all others suffer from update delays. (And with customization, I would think, potential new bugs or vectors.)

17. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Camera on the pixel kill the iPhone 8 based on... DxOmarks? Try reading a bit on DxOmarks first to understand what it means.

Google promises 2 years of OS updates, and 3 years of security updates, from the release date. Considering the price they are charging, it's a rip off when I can get a Mi A1 at half the price with the same level of software support.
    If security is the upmost importance, you wouldn't be using Android anyway.

And no, Pixel is not the only device enjoying this level of OS support from Google. Android One handsets enjoy the same thing, at fractions of the price that Google is ripping off people with the Pixel.

18. KingslayerG5 macrumors 6502a

KingslayerG5

Just saw the ad of the Google Pixel 2 XL while watching an NBA game and must say I actually like it more now. The orange power button is kinda funky but it reminds me of the orange light on my off-white Sega Dreamcast. Red & white or orange & white are underrated color schemes together if done right.

My silver Pixel 1 bothered me with the white front. I'm kinda liking the dual-tones of the silver iPhone X and panda Pixel 2 XL. Black front to make the OLED pop out and give it a floating effect if using a black wallpaper. Then use white or silver rears to hide smudges better.

Only makes sense to get the Pixel 2 XL in panda since it comes with Oreo. The fluidity on Android 8 is still very fast and smooth. Minor notification changes, settings changes, and PiP feeling beta are a few of its drawbacks. Gets annoying using Google Maps and the PiP feature is still there.

It's tempting...
    [​IMG]

^ I feel like eating at Panda Express after seeing that pic. And not for the typical orange chicken which I love but for angus beef and beef broccoli. Gotta have some veggies.

Pixel 2 duo at Verizon this Thursday. For sure no bloatware, carrier boot animation, and unlocked. Pretty tempting because my first Pixel really was one of the best phones I ever had. Camera was a tad overrated but still top notch. Just couldn't be recognized on Mac.

LG manufactured two of the best Androids this year. V30 (Moroccan blue) and Pixel 2 XL (panda) is on par with each other. You couldn't go wrong with either one. Just wished both had 6gb of RAM for better future-proofing. Only 4gb of RAM with an Android flagship is so 2015.

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Gee I think I picked a bad night to watch Terminator: Genisys. I keep asking Alexa if she’s part of Skynet. She promises she isn’t but of course she could be lying. :confused:

20. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

If you are into photography then you must now that when you look at the camera to decide if is good or not good for you, you got to take to many factors into consideration. This guys ramps it up quite well in this video

21. freezelighter macrumors member

freezelighter

22. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Anyone have that wallpaper in the middle? (Pixel XL 2)

23. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

The new Pixels is what happens when software experience becomes more important than the hardware. This is by FAR the best take on Android, and the hardware works great. I don't buy a phone to drool over it, but to actually use it. Can't wait for my 2XL pre-order to arrive.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

And a bad one at that.

25. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502