Pixel 2 Reviews: Iterative Update Lacks 'Wow Factor' But Still 'Best Android Phone You Can Buy'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I stopped watching his channel. Too biased for my taste.

From the sample shots I've seen, the Pixel 2 does a really good job at bokeh. There are some areas where you do notice that it's artificial though.

2. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

He also said at the end of his unboxing that he aired yesterday that so far DXO is spot on! Yes I also agree with his video it’s called common sense! Read the articles on their site. The pixel 2 doesn’t do well when it comes to zooming so you can sleep better now knowing iPhone 8+ does
    --- Post Merged, Oct 18, 2017 ---
    This thread is awesome!! Please keep it going ah ha!! I would love to get an Iphone X but honestly how many people think they will have it November 2? Also how much do you trust the facial recognition? I wish Apple would have put the finger print sensor on the back where the Apple logo was that would have been perfect! Still hopefully by end of November I may have an iPhone X.

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

4. dukeblue219 macrumors member

That's not a Pixel 2 image. That's the original XL with its one camera, and that's a terrible example. I've got a Pixel (1, and not XL), and while the "blur mode" is no where near as fast as the iPhone because it's done in software, it looks NOTHING like that picture. There are no edges like that. For static pictures of objects it works great.

The Pixel 2 XL should work just as well as any iPhone for that portrait mode style picture.

5. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

It does better on video also which for some people is equally important. Personally, seen side by side photo comparison I will take X instead of pixel anytime. But I buy smartphone for more then just the camera since I am using full frame DSLR for quality stuff.

6. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

If that is true, then that's a huge drawback of Pixel. I haven't kept up on what Android phones have secure enclave equivalent for security and how it's implemented.

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Diddums...

8. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

Nice phone. Will G00g1e sell that DPP chip to any android phone maker? Expect even more android fragmentation.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The problem is I still have all of those things except the MP3 player

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Android has something similar but it’s difficult to determine how secure it is and which devices has it.

With Apple, if it has Touch ID or Face ID, it’s got the secure enclave.

11. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

The pixel 2 does better at detail preservation, dynamic range and stability while the iPhone does much better with contrast so it's going to be based on preference. You clearly prefer whatever the iPhone is better at which is fine.

Why do people have to justify? Just get what you want, it's your money, lol.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The Pixel is really boring. Not only are they only offering it on Verizon (it will work on T-Mobile as well, no VoLTE or VoWiFi on AT&T), but they have removed all the features that make Android Android. If I'm going to put up with no headphone jack and no SD slot, I'm going to get an iPhone. At least I'll have more dongles available to buy and 256GB of internal storage. Google is just making a fake iPhone, instead of leveraging the advantage of Android to have more options like a headphone jack and SD card slot, although sadly removable batteries, IR blasters, and second screens have sort of died.

13. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I prefer the higher frame rate at 1080 for slow mo, also prefer the higher rate for 4K. But obviously you didnt want to mention these since you would make it then sound as X does more then pixel. And quite right, I get exactly what I want without justifying or giving a toss what others think. But this is a discussion board, is it not?

14. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Case in point, everyone's preferences are different. While I have 4k TV's, artifacts are just too prevalent on smartphone cameras which is readily apparent when you throw them up on a 75" display so I just shoot at 1080 since they're never really viewed on anything but our iPads and such. I do agree on the higher frame rate though. We shoot at 60fps/1080p.

15. techwhiz, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

techwhiz macrumors 6502a

I guess I should have said current gen flagship phones. That's what I'm sitting out.
    I also needed a phone and had sold my 6P for $425. The G6 cost me $450 a $25 differential that gets me a two year warranty.

But since the SD835 is out the LG G6 is last gen with a SD821.

16. ISanych macrumors regular

How are today, Mr. president?

17. ellnicklin macrumors newbie

Considering making this my first devotion from iOS since I joined it with the iPhone 4. It's so beautiful and a good £200 or so less than an iPhone now.

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Maybe next year...But not this yr........:)

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think the X will likely surpass the Pixel in that department

20. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This generation flagship cameras are all pretty similar, with minor pros/cons across them. I doubt the X is going to be that different. The thing with cameras is that you are dealing with light. Light has properties that you can only manipulate so much. The DSLR market has been at this point of marginal gains for years. There haven't been any dramatic advances in years, which is why they have shifted to other "features". Things like portrait mode are gimmicks and evidence they are reaching the limits of physics on what they can do with a tiny sensor.

21. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

That makes me never wanting to consider Android devices unless some standardization towards security exists. Does Google specify the security protocols that the handset makers need to adhere by?

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

While there are probably SOME contracts tied to using Google Play Services on Android devices, Google cannot go back to the manufacturers and say "By the way, that agreement we had? We're adding x and y to it."

I've also read somewhere that the EU has some say in it as well.

That being said, if you buy from Samsung or Google directly, you're going to get security updates for quite a long time. Not quite iPhone long, but Pixel 2 models will get Android R and the security updates that follow.

23. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

I hope so too IF I was going to drop over $1100 plus on a phone.......

24. BritishApple macrumors regular

Half the speed yet half the UI lag (or in the Pixel 2's case, none) ... how ironic. Like it or not, Google gives a **** about software and it shows in the Pixel 2's UI.

After 10 years the Cool Aid has gone stale, iPhone 7 will be my last iOS device unless Federighi proves his software isn't worse than his piss poor keynote gags.

25. Ramrod82 macrumors regular

Ramrod82

I agree camera isn’t everything, but I do disagree, IMO the pixel is better in video quality, just my opinion. However, I’m curious to see how huge of an improvement camera wise the “X” will be over the 8+ Also how it will handle iOS 11 which as of right now makes me sick to my stomach.