Pixelmator for Mac Updated With Force Touch Trackpad Support, Improved Repair Tool

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Popular image editing app Pixelmator was today updated to version 3.3.2, introducing a more powerful repair tool and introducing support for the new Photos app and the Force Touch trackpad found in the new MacBook and the recently updated 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Pixelmator's repair tool (the bandaid icon in the app) lets users remove unwanted objects from photos in just a few minutes using a paintbrush, and in 3.3.2, the repair tool has been improved to be faster and more efficient, resulting in even cleaner results when removing an object from an image.
    After updating to 3.3.2, Pixelmator users with a Force Touch trackpad can use it for pressure sensitive painting. The Force Touch trackpad sensors detect how much pressure is being applied to the trackpad, and Pixelmator uses that information to change the size of the brush while painting for thicker or thinner lines.

With Photos for OS X support, also included in the new update, Pixelmator users can access their Photos libraries from within the Photos Browser inside the Pixelmator app.

Pixelmator can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator for Mac Updated With Force Touch Trackpad Support, Improved Repair Tool

2. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Since I don't have Force Touch on my 2014 MBP, this is the big feature for me.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Although not perfect, the steps where they remove the rails from are not quite straight after the edit, that's pretty damn impressive! :eek:

4. nathanjbrown macrumors 6502

Now where is that standalone Force Touch Trackpad to compliment my Mac Mini?...

5. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Brilliant. Now all I need is Apple to update the 15'' MacBook Pro with Force Touch and I'll be there. :)

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I'd be more impressed if Photoshop hadn't already had this exact tool for several years already.

Still, for $30, that's pretty freaking cool.

I think I have a several years old license for this that I got from one of those MacHeist bundles... I wonder if the license will let me update to this latest version or not...

7. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Been using Pixelmator for what feels like a few years and I love it. Such an amazing value.

8. dsburdette macrumors member

Forgiving image

While Adobe does the same thing with their demonstrations, Pixelmator chose a VERY friendly image to showcase this feature. The lines of the stairs are pretty straight and overall it's a pretty predictable outcome. I'm not trying to take away anything from the new feature but let's not get too excited. Photoshop's "Content-aware" feature is the same thing and has it's limits as well.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

With pixelmator at the consumer, more user friendly end and affinity photo for more demanding stuff its looking good for an adobe free future.

10. Shunnabunich macrumors regular

Shunnabunich

"With the new, smarter repair tool in Pixelmator 3.3.2, you can now quickly and easily remove unwanted elements."

*removes woman from scene*

ಠ_ಠ

11. Nozuka macrumors 68020

Great to see how fast they react to new OSX/iOS features.

12. 2457282 Suspended

With Aperature not getting any updates, and Photos unable to do anything of this level, I am left with a choice, Pixlemator for $30 or Adobe for a monthly charge.

hmmm......

So, I think I will download pixlemator tonight.

13. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Pixelmator *has* had this tool for as long as I can remember. They have simply made it better. If you knew your way around Photoshop, you can do 90% of what anyone would ever want to do with PS in Pixelmator. I've never looked back. Sure there are things that are not as easy, but they can still get done.

14. carlgo macrumors 68000

Do I have this right: instead of waiting for Photos to someday be able to use external resources, PM sort of turns things around and uses Photos as its external resource, simply a place where the photos are kept?

This seems clever. Maybe PM will someday allow the use of other external editors as well?

15. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, I think I've had it for a couple of years too, scored it on a sale at $14.99, probably the best cost-to-value ratio of any major app I've ever scored.

Not only has it been super useful and feature rich, but it's incredibly stable - I know I'm probably tempting fate, but I've _never_ had any technical/runtime issues with it.

:cool:

16. Baletin macrumors member

Increbible

Now, the heal tool is valuable. Guys, I bought "Snapheal" - don't do it. Update PXM and enjoy. Just tried new heal - it is just good!

17. JPark macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I love this app and love the years of free updates I've received.

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

19. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

To be fair to Pixelmator, I've just been trying it and it seems to be working far FAR better than Photoshop's content aware ever has - at least for me trying about half a dozen different examples.

I've used content aware mainly on CS5 (the last version of PS I could buy without having to rent it). However, I did run a trial of PS CC 2014 and that wasn't much better in the content aware features to CS5, although I didn't use that feature exhaustively, if I'm being honest.

On the face of it, Pixelmator looks to be doing a far better job than PS. That's just my thoughts on it having tried a few tests.

20. atomwork macrumors regular

atomwork

Just did this in 30 seconds. Does seem to work great. Imagine how long this took me with photoshop 3 and 4 :)

[​IMG]

21. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Pixelmator is a *must have* tool for anyone with a Mac. In the time it takes Photoshop to load, you can get most stuff done.

----------

That company that makes Snapheal.. they have about a dozen apps, that each do one thing. Problem is, Pixelmator can do them all just as well or better.

I use iDraw as my vector app, but would love to see what the Pixelmator guys can do for vector as they did for raster.

22. arkmannj macrumors 65832

arkmannj

that's pretty cool. you should make a (short) you tube video or something showing it.. not because I disbelieve you but because it would be interesting and fun to watch.

23. JustThinkin' macrumors 6502

Mac Pro is the hero?

Their Mac Pro may be smart, but not nearly as smart as the guy who programmed it!

24. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Holy hell. I downloaded your pic, cut out just the top half (pre-edit) and did it too, and got terrific results!

25. tom526 macrumors newbie

Had not heard of Affinity till I read your comment. Looks to also be very impressive software!!