Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Good catch with the free for iOS!

I've been told that much more money is spent on Android, but iOS does still have that edge
Well, you’re right iOS does have an edge, but it’s a PRETTY big edge.
C59A6F55-67FE-48BE-80C9-42547022293B.jpeg
And this is considering that there are FAR more Android devices out there than iOS.

Reactions: ackmondual

jsamuelson

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
Switzerland
You ignored what people are saying to make a pointless post.

I made 2 grand on Sunday. Only on Sunday. Because of Adobe’s software.

Not possible with any of their competitor Apps.

So let power users use power apps and don’t recommend toy apps to people who want earn better money.
I think the first bit applies to your original post…

I haven‘t recommended anything to anyone.

I’m curious though. What do you do the other days?

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
The subscription model would put the App-store at "greater risk" if other stores get opened. The costumers aren't "locked in" with one store if they can just move the subscription. That is a freedom you gain with subscription I guess. I'm not a fan of subscribing, I like buying. And a don't want the iPhone to open up. It's just an observation.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
The subscription model would put the App-store at "greater risk" if other stores get opened. The costumers aren't "locked in" with one store if they can just move the subscription. That is a freedom you gain with subscription I guess. I'm not a fan of subscribing, I like buying. And a don't want the iPhone to open up. It's just an observation.
That’s already in place with Netflix et al using outside of store payments.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
If you are that good of course you could make money using Affinity. What are you talking about?

No chance.

There is zero chance Affinity would give me the performance, tools and ease of use to allow me to get through that match work so efficiently.

I have Affinity. I have tried Pixelmator over the years since it first existed. These are budget apps that try to reinvent the wheel by adding corners to the wheel. They’re just doing what Paintshop Pro (which still exists) tried to do years ago.

If they were good I would have used them, but I can’t and no power user can ever compare them to Adobe’s apps. We can only salute them for trying.

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
No chance.

There is zero chance Affinity would give me the performance, tools and ease of use to allow me to get through that match work so efficiently.

I have Affinity. I have tried Pixelmator over the years since it first existed. These are budget apps that try to reinvent the wheel by adding corners to the wheel. They’re just doing what Paintshop Pro (which still exists) tried to do years ago.

If they were good I would have used them, but I can’t and no power user can ever compare them to Adobe’s apps. We can only salute them for trying.
Well I’m not a an advanced user. I take photos and sell some from time to time (portraits mainly), and it’s very good for that.

And photoshop is like google, because you google something even when you are not using their search engine.

Photoshop is a great app. Probably the greatest. But it’s wicked expensive, and even if you pay for it for 10 years you can’t use it at all if you don’t continue to pay. If you make a living and get jobs all the time it’s a no brainer, or if you just have the money and want it.

Me and many others look for alternatives. I like affinity. I like the workflow. I’ll probably try Capture One someday. But Adobe is a no go zone for me. And I don’t pirate software.

Reactions: jsamuelson

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Well, you’re right iOS does have an edge, but it’s a PRETTY big edge.
View attachment 2046045
And this is considering that there are FAR more Android devices out there than iOS.
This includes ALL Android devices right? If so, it's worth noting that many people get budget Android phones just so they have a device they can make calls and txt. These folks wouldn't have been interested in apps anyways.

The article does include revenue from ads, so that's good.

Last but not least, it should be noted that due to it being better for revenue, it's also saturated. The high figures there doesn't mean you'll even get a proportionate amount of that pie. On both platforms really, ever since large companies have jumped in on the mobile markets (who initially forgo that having thought the mobile stores wouldn't have much prominence), they've gotten 86% of the $$, so it's a jungle out there regarldless.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This includes ALL Android devices right? If so, it's worth noting that many people get budget Android phones just so they have a device they can make calls and txt. These folks wouldn't have been interested in apps anyways.
Even so, there’s it’s very likely that there’s still far more app capable Android devices than iPhones, it’s just that the vast majority of them aren’t buying apps.

Last but not least, it should be noted that due to it being better for revenue, it's also saturated. The high figures there doesn't mean you'll even get a proportionate amount of that pie.
The high figures there means if someone’s going to invest on creating an app, the best/quickest way to see a return on that is by releasing it for iOS. Releasing on Android is handicapping potential revenue right from the start. A good new app idea will go a LOT further on iOS than on Android.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Are there any good free alternatives to Lightroom/Darkroom/Pixelmator on iOS specifically? I know there’s Snapseed but IMO the quality of the slider adjustments are pretty poor. Seems like all the good iOS photo editing apps are subscription based at this point, am I missing a gem that I should be aware of?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Are there any good free alternatives to Lightroom/Darkroom/Pixelmator on iOS specifically? I know there’s Snapseed but IMO the quality of the slider adjustments are pretty poor. Seems like all the good iOS photo editing apps are subscription based at this point, am I missing a gem that I should be aware of?
Raw power is quite nice, and has a few features which are missing from the main apps (editing from an external drive mainly) - but it’s pretty rough round the edges still. Edit, it’s not free though, I don’t think it’s much though.

Reactions: Supermallet

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Raw power is quite nice, and has a few features which are missing from the main apps (editing from an external drive mainly) - but it’s pretty rough round the edges still. Edit, it’s not free though, I don’t think it’s much though.
I can recommend Raw Power too. It’s built by developers from the old Aperture team at Apple, so it has a decent pedigree. On the Mac it ties in nicely with the Photos app.

Reactions: Supermallet

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I can recommend Raw Power too. It’s built by developers from the old Aperture team at Apple, so it has a decent pedigree. On the Mac it ties in nicely with the Photos app.
Thank you, this is exactly the kind of app I was looking for! It’s not free but a one time $9.99 charge is so much better than annual charges of $25+. Thanks again!

mohamadkarbi

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
I think Apple should acquire Pixelmator Pro to be part of the built-in apps.
It can't be compared to Adobe Photoshop nor Affinity Photo but I'm using it only for quick edits as it's fast to open and does the basics in good way; whenever I need advanced features, I go to Affinity. However, for me, if Pixelmator or Affinity went into subscription, I'd go with Adobe's, it'd be more profitable over time - from career prospective.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I think Apple should acquire Pixelmator Pro to be part of the built-in apps.
It can't be compared to Adobe Photoshop nor Affinity Photo but I'm using it only for quick edits as it's fast to open and does the basics in good way; whenever I need advanced features, I go to Affinity. However, for me, if Pixelmator or Affinity went into subscription, I'd go with Adobe's, it'd be more profitable over time - from career prospective.
I bet Affinity will never go onto subscription model, they know that people hate Adobe subscription model and they wants attract more people to leave Photoshop. I'm one of those.

Reactions: LV426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.