Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular image editor Pixelmator Pro has announced a time-limited $19.99 sale on the app, offering customers 50% off the usual $39.99 selling price.

pixelmator-pro-ml-crop.jpg

In conjunction with the sale, the developers are also sharing a sneak peak at an upcoming Pixelmator Pro 2.1 update, which includes a new AI-driven cropping feature called ML crop.

ML crop analyzes the composition of photos using a machine learning algorithm and gives the user a suggestion for how they could crop the photo to make it more eye-catching, offering different perspectives for a common photo editing task.

In other changes coming with version 2.1, users will be able to quickly see and set their primary and secondary colors, and there will also be a way to change the color of any object in a document using a drag and drop action.

Pixelmator is a Universal app, so it runs natively on both ‌M1‌ and Intel-based Macs. Updates to the image editing app are free for existing users of Pixelmator Pro, which can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Launches 50% Sale Ahead of Upcoming 2.1 Update

freediverx00

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2020
One of the few third-party apps I have, this one is fantastic.

Surprised Apple hasn’t bought them and integrated them into MacOS.

Apple buying a third party app marks the end of any meaningful future innovation on that app. Remember that Siri was a groundbreaking technology when Apple acquired them and now it’s the butt of jokes, after remaining stagnant for many years.

Chiromac81

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
If I have a Mac now (intel) and buy it for that and then I get a M1 Mac later this year will the app purchase work on both or do I have to buy it again?

also, does buying this for a Mac allow me to use on iPad too?

Icelus

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
It's great software and I feel good about supporting a small, independent app studio instead of the scumbags at Adobe.

why are they scumbags? Because their business model doesn't align with your use of their software?

If you are a professional, you make back their monthly fee from a small percent of your profits from the first job of a month. I just did a $500 photo job. $480 in the bank after paying my $20/mo LR 1 TB plan. I had to share a web album to a client with 2,000 photos. They used LR web client to choose the photos they wanted me to retouch/edit. Maybe I'm off but I don't think Pixelmator offers anything similar to this.

I'm really happy there are cheaper (or free) alternatives for enthusiasts or part time professionals that don't need everything Adobe offers or who can't stomach the monthly fee.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
One of the few third-party apps I have, this one is fantastic.

Surprised Apple hasn’t bought them and integrated them into MacOS.

Please, don't give Apple any ideas. They would ruin this app in a year!

This app is hard to beat, especially for the price. Even at the full price it's well worth the money. It's also fantastic for those of us resisting the ever-increasing amount of subscription model software. Sure, I used to use Photoshop, when I could easily buy it. No longer. There are a lot of us.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
There is a disturbing trend among application developers. BBEdit, Pixelmator and VLC Player are among them. Their user interfaces feature tiny text and buttons which are difficult to read on high resolution displays. This seems to be an attempt to make their application look all high tech and advanced, but it just makes them painful to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.