Pizza: Thin crust, NY italian style or deep-pan Chicago style?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And why?

We can't get proper Chicago pizza in London so I have to go for thin crust, although if the crust is stuffed, that's OK too.

I mean, c'mon... honestly — does this look like a pizza?

[​IMG]

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

given the choice between ny style and chicago, i have to pick chicago-style pizza. i prefer ridiculously thick to extremely thin any day. :rolleyes:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I always used to prefer deep-dish, but recently, I've found myself wanting NY style much more often. I think there are really good pizzas of both varieties (and bad as well) though.

But then I don't care if pizza "looks like a pizza" if it tastes good. :D

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

NY Style. Giant (foldable) slices, super greasy, softish crust.

Mmmmmmmm.

http://www.randys-pizza.com/

Topsing of choice:

Pepperoni
    Pepperoni & Mushroom
    Bacon & Pineapple (not Canadian bacon)

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thin! Recently I've been stuffing myself lately on Sainsbury's Pizza Express...

When I was younger, I loved Pizza Hut's stuffed crust, but haven't eaten there for quite a few years...

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Why? Is there something wrong with Canadian bacon?

7. fotografica macrumors 68040

I'll take NY style,thin crust..With fresh mozzarella,basil a drizzle of xtra virgin olive oil and some crushed red pepper..If it comes from the original Pizzeria Regina in the North End (Boston),even better..
    If I wanted something like that picture,I could just take some focaccia and put the toppings on it..

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

chicago "pizza" is utterly disgusting and it shouldn't even be called pizza.

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Being that "Chicago-style" encompasses four types of pizza, I'll have to go along with that.:D

Chicago Style(s):

Deep Dish
    Pan
    Thin
    Stuffed

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, I've never had (American) bacon and pineapples... intriguing. I guess it sounds like it might actually be really good.

P.S. my last relatively nice pizza was squash and artichoke hearts on a more or less NY style. Mmmm, good combination. :)

P.P.S. what is considered a "thin" "Chicago style" pizza? I've never had thin pizza in Chicago that was called "Chicago style." How is it different from NY style thin or pastry-crust thin?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

To me it's a different flavor. Bacon bacon is saltier (and therefore goes better (imo) with the sweet & sour of pineapple) and typically has a smokier, more unique flavor.

While Canadian bacon just tastes like ham to me. Or people. Whichever.

P.S., Also.. bacon bacon seems to end up being more crunchy than chewy canadian bacon.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What fills up the dish? Filling or dough?

Either way that is not a pizza!

This is how I like mine…

Now I'm hungry… :D

Attached Files:

13. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I've had several of both (grew up in Chicago, but have friends and family that I visit in NY)... and I love them both! BUT... there's something to be said for a rediculously thick pizza! So I have to vote for Chicago style deep-dish... but its still close.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I heartily encourage you both to try it (assuming of course you like bacon & pineapple :) )!

15. MacHipster macrumors 6502

If you look at thin crust such as St. Louis-style, the crust is thin and crispy. Much like a wafer. Chicago-style thin crust is thinner than an average crust, but still a bit springy and soft. It also has a thicker layer of toppings as compared to St. Louis-style.

16. ~J~ macrumors 6502

You guys are making me want some pizza... *looks around*... I know theres a Papa John's coupon around here somewhere... :D

17. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Not on a pizza... I tend to prefer my pizzas as close as possible to traditional...

No chicken, no pineapple and especially no to abominations like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RugI2jaYFwU

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Chicago Style of course.

i like pan pizza the best though, which is a bit between the thin crust and the 'stuffed' pizza that is typically chicago style. i hate paper thin pizza, although thats not much of a problem around here. even the 'thin' crust has some thickness to it.

19. sananda macrumors 68020

20. 119576 Guest

:( I just ate a shedload of gammon, but now I want pizza!

I prefer it thick, and stuffed crust is preferable.

Sometimes I get cravings for Ciabatta pizzas. They're ace.

21. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Chicago style pizza, loaded up with sausage, peppers and cheese, the kind that takes a hour after you order it, leaving plenty of time for a couple of pitchers, then makes you nearly immovable after the second slice.

Super thin and crispy crust with pepperoni and mushrooms is also great, but I just don't get the NY style foldable slices, it's good, but I like the others more.

22. ms.gio macrumors regular

Being from Chicago and being about 2 blocks from Giordanos (home of the world's famous stuff pizza) I'm going to have to go with stuff. If I want a pizza that will fill me I would definitely choose stuffed over thin.

23. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Tough choice. I've had real Chicago deep dish in...well Chicago and tried the Pizza hut version. Have only tried Pizza hut's NY style pizza and that was delicious. Can I not have both? :(

That's where I went to have my first Chicago deep dish pizza!

24. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

all pizza is delicious. just depends on how much you've had to drink before you eat it.

however, for a perfectly sober slice... i'd have to opt for a crispy (yet foldable) new york thin slice. deep dish? forgetaboutit.

25. MacHipster macrumors 6502

That wasn't deep dish, but stuffed. Giordano's doesn't sell deep dish or pan, just stuffed and thin, If I recall correctly.