Place to buy old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by extraextra, Jun 9, 2008.

1. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Aside from Craigslist or eBay. Do you think I could still get one from Apple or AT&T? Would they be cheaper? I really loved the aluminium design and 3G + GPS weren't all that important to me. :eek:

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Well, they've been sold out for a few weeks.

I'd say Craigslist, eBay and the Macrumors Marketplace are your best bets.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Can you now purchase the OLD iPhone?

Can you now purchase the old iPhone brand new (not off Ebay) from ATT or Apple?

Not diggin' the 2.0 version.....so I'd like to go buy the 16GB old version. Is that possible at stores?

4. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

My sister bought an iPhone 2 days ago at an AT&T store in Austin, Tx. After calling around she only found one store in the whole Austin area that had a phone.

5. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

No they wouldn't, unless they start putting the refurbs up for sale on the Apple Store..

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If the price of the data plans increase then I will be selling my 4GB and coppin a 8GB or 16GB if they go on sale. 3G and GPS is not that serious to me.

7. Lord Egregious macrumors member

So the original iPhone is going to be gone from retail buying? I live in a large city but no 3G so it isn't worth waiting till July for the new one. I don't need GPS either and was hoping the old ones would drop to around the price of the new ones or lower.

8. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

I would assume it works the same as the iPods/Macs do. You don't see the old ones in the Apple store ones after the new one has been released, except for refurbs.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

What? Stores still have some stock of iPhones. The Apple Store has been out of stock, well at least it seems that way, for a while now. AT&T had a run of refurbs on the website a couple of weeks ago. AT&T is now revamping the website and one can only wonder what's going to be on it.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Technically, AT&T's website claims they are "Temporarily out of stock". It doesn't say they are unavailable, it's something one could argue if you truly wanted the 1st version.

...and no, I am not a lawyer. :lol:

11. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Hang onto your version1's as they may be going up in value (especially for the next 30 days). They can be resold, unlocked, and the old data plan is cheaper every month.

12. coolbreeze macrumors 65832

This is true. I feel so much better about my decision not to eBay "ahead of the crowd." I would have felt like a fool had I done so.

I have no use for 3G, GPS or $30/month. Thanks Apple for making my decision easy.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If I snatch one off Ebay, I just bring it into AT&T and pick my plan? Go home and activate it via iTunes? I'm with sprint and myself and my wife will be switching.

14. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

If I wanted to buy a first gen iPhone right now...

What price would the stores sell them to me for do you think?

15. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You'd get them at their current price I would wager - provided they still have them. Otherwise go to eBay and MAYBE you can get it for $100 cheaper, but people have had a lot of success stories with making profit on their iPhones by selling them on eBay, so you might not get a deal.

16. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

AT&T online has them showing up for 399/499...they might still be sold out, but thats the price they are for them online(and likely in store)

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Everyone and their mother posted them on craigslist today hoping to get people who haven't heard about the new models. its a good place to go if you don't want to wait for the new models.

19. local711 macrumors newbie

Buying An Iphone NOW

SO...Is it pretty much impossible to buy an Iphone until July 11? All of the Apple Stores and AT&T stores appear to be sold out. Are they really not going to sell any iphones for over a month?

Does anyone know a way around this?

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

eBay. Craigslist. Being Steve Jobs. If you don't fulfill one of these, suck it up and wait it out.

21. rolex54 macrumors 6502

ebay or craigslist
    I just can't believe apple is doing this... they are loosing out on so much sales... didn't they sell 20,000 a day while it was in stock?

22. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

Im trying to sell my 1st gen iphone..for about 100$ so drop me an Email tomepp20@yahoo.com

23. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

Im trying to sell my 1st gen iphone..for about 100$ so drop me an Email tomepp20@yahoo.com oh and its in really good condition the are some scratches on the metal lining but NONE on the screen or the back soo yeah

24. ExpyBob macrumors member

1st Gen Iphone Discontinued.

I was just at the Apple Store in the Rockaway Mall in NJ. I needed screen protectors.

I asked since I'm happy with this phone can I still by this in the future. The answer----NO. It's been discontinued.

If you want to hold on to it then buy Apple Care and we will cover it one more year, after that 3G.

I own a dinosaur.

Thanks Apple.

A $600 disposable phone.

Bob

25. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No necessarily. If you are happy with the phone, then that is all that matters. As far as Apple supporting this model, they will do so as long as you have Apple Care on it.