Place your bets about cosmetic flaw that gets the most initial complaints.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ryanasimov, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ryanasimov macrumors regular

I've seen enough new Apple product launches to know that anything that is less than website-image perfect will result in complaints. What do you think will be the the most-reported "flaw"?

1. Scratches on case
    2. Nicks/gouges on case
    3. Scratches on crystal
    4. Loose crown
    5. Leather band splits or separates
    6. Rubber band shows dirt or darkens (especially the light colors)
    7. Clasp or pin open too easily
    8. Metal bands are too noisy, pull arm hairs, or pinch
    9. Milanese and leather loop bands have weak magnets and open too easily

2. hemolyzer macrumors member

People eating greasy food and who don't wash their hands regularly will probably complain about the screen getting smudged up.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No bendgate?

The sport model is made of aluminum, you know someone is going to try.

4. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

my votes on band's not fitting as well. I can see that sport band being very loose and can come undone easily (especially when playing sports)

material-gate: Can someone explain why different bands of SAME material vary so much in term of weight?

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm predicting Band-gate:

A report is going to come in declaring that the locking mechanism of the watch band is defective and has caused the watch to go flying off users' wrists and destroying their watches.

6. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Because they're not the same material. They contain different dyes/pigments.

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

dyes/pigments differ 30% of the weight?

When is the last time you go buy a car, and the white car is 30% heavier than the black one?

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Arm hairs pulled for 5 bucks.

9. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

10. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

When was the last time you bought a car that was a solid chunk of paint?

When was the last time you scraped all the paint off of two cars that were different colors (but otherwise identical) and weighted the paint?

It's fine to trust your intuition about the likely weight of an object, if your intuition is guided by experience or evidence. Without evidence, intuition is just a guess and there's no reason to trust it.

The only evidence I have seen is the published weight of each color of sport band. Since the weights are different, there must be a difference in either the density of the material or in the volume of the bands. (Or both.)

11. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Once you see the first Scratches on the DLC watches all hell will break loose.

12. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

I'm already dreading any of these.

The winner is going to be dead pixels though. Alway is. Or "ALL SERIAL #'s STARTING WITH 'Q' HAVE A YELLOWISH TINT."

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Rash gate. From the rubber straps irritating the wrists of people who haven't worn watches in many, many years if at all.

Disinte-gate. Leather straps cracking and peeling.

Scratch-gate. Glass screen scratching on walls etc.

Burn-gate. Hot watches.

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Easily. White is dyed with titanium dioxide, typically. That's heavy. And it takes no small amount to make it appear solid white and not translucent. Rubber, even artificial rubber as in this case, is semi-transparent without dye.

This is easily the root cause for weight differences. It may even have slight variations in elasticity and durability between colors.

15. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

In this order: scratches on the SS case, scratches on the sport's glass, colour on leather bands will quickly fade out. In the long run the rubber band will get pretty hard and crack. ;)

16. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

As much as I want a leather loop, I'm really concerned that magnets will open too easily. I can see the band getting caught in a jacket sleeve or pant pocket and that causing it to open and the watch hitting the ground. I hope I'm wrong, though.

17. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Rashes, for sure. Plus the old reliable:

Water-gate. "But Tim Cook SAID I could shower with it on!" Yeah, dude, but Cook has an inexhaustible supply of Watches. You don't! ;)

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No yellow screen tint? That gets dropped heavy any time a new iPhone or iPad is released. Then it magically disappears in about two weeks.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good catch.

Also, not initially but maybe after some time down the line, galvanic corrosion when Sport owners pair it with SS bands and subject it to salt from sweat.

21. camtechman56 macrumors regular

Now this is possible if people don't keep the watch some what clean, the catch looks spring loaded and if too much dirt, etc. get into it the spring could start sticking and not locking. good point:)

----------

And alloys. what the original material is mixed with can change its weight;)

22. jungle311 macrumors newbie

This one has my vote too. It's a coating so there will be issues, and likely people comparing this to the aluminum. How color doesn't chip off aluminum or something of that nature.

I know the aluminum isn't a coating but people will still likely make the comparison.

23. camtechman56 macrumors regular

Actually they probably went with rare earth magnets, and they are strong. But where they are weak is they pick up small metal particles, and the build up will weaken the connection. Before any one argues with me, take a magnet and carry it around with you for a couple if days, unless you do not go any where there is dirt you will see particles start to build up on the magnet. Simple solution; wipe down the watch ever so often:)

24. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

This thread sends shivers down my spine. Deep down, we all know it to be true.

I concur that screen issues will be a winner (dead pixels, light bleed, yellow tint).

25. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

This is my bet.