Places you've lived

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by decafjava, Apr 8, 2013.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

So, this is not a travel thread - just seeing where folks have lived say more than a few months.

I'll start:

Born in Montreal (1966) to Greek immigrant parents (Dad was trained as a naval architect now happily retired).

Moved two years later to Calgary, sis born there-then to Vancouver BC where we lived from 1970 until 1989. We moved back east to Ajax east of Toronto for awhile then ended up in Nova Scotia (Wolfville) where I did a BA in history (I worked for awhile after high school though about a career in geology but then rejected it-hated math and bugs).

In 1993 I moved to Ottawa to do an MA in history thinking about a PhD and an academic career teaching history. Done and then ended up in Geneva on the recommendation of my MA advisor at Carleton University in Ottawa to study international relations. Did the MA and started the PhD but saw academia is not for me. Now work at a research foundation as a web manager. Been here since 1996 btw. :eek: Longest in one place since BC. Nice place-well situated in Europe (and for international travel). Family scattered all over-and friends from everywhere.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was born and raised in Florida, lived there until 2005 when I moved to Colorado.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Grew up in the Bronx, NY.

Went to Madison, Wisconsin for undergrad at U of Wisconsin.

Then to Bloomington, Indiana for grad school.

Boston, MA next for 4 years.

Finally (my, my...that sounds kind of final!) to my current location about 25 miles south of Boston. Been here since 1975.

4. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I lived in a small city in the north of England called Preston for a while, Manchester for a year while studying, then down to London for a few months. After that I moved to Cologne (my girlfriend is German) for year and now I'm living in Berlin. I've been here just over a year and I love it! :)

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Born in Ohio. Lived in Alabama for a few months, Iraq and South Korea for a year each, and Hawaii for about 2.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've lived here in The Colony, Texas for all my life. Two different houses in different areas, but still the same. It's not bad, kinda crowded business-wise, but you used to have to drive into Carrollton/Plano for most things. Now we have mainstream chain restaurants, a hotel, a Best Buy, a few Office supply stores, a water park, and we're getting another golf course place, and then apparently they're building a riverwalk type deal. Used to be pretty much hills and grass in the early 1990's.

I'm just waiting for them to open an Apple Store here, hahaha.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Born in 's-Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands, went to live in Utrecht for four years while going to University 1964-1968. Took a GAP year on the Hippie trail to India 1969-1970. Went back to 's-Hertogenbosch and got employment at a large brewery in the town 1971.
    In 1983 moved to White Plains New York, work related I was there for 21 months. Returned to the Netherlands in 1985.
    In 1988 I was in Madrid Spain, I lived there for just 9 months returning to the Netherlands in 1989.
    In 1992 went the UK for my work, stayed in London, and Newcastle living longer in London than Newcastle. Returned to the Netherlands in 1993. I again went to the UK this time 2002 and stayed in Manchester, this time for 10 months returned to the Netherlands in 2003.

I am presently living in the same house as I was born in 67 years ago. The house has been in my family since 1793.

8. AlyseM macrumors member

I've lived in Troy Michigan and then Los Angeles California.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Whereabouts in Colorado? I was born in Nederland, and have family all over, but have lived in Maryland for many years. My girlfriend and I are in our 20s and are planning to move there this summer, but need to find where all the jobs are (finance for me, IT for her).

Also:

Born in Nederland, Colorado.
    Lived in Minneapolis, MN, and Reading, PA. Have lived most of my life in Maryland about 30 minutes north of DC.

10. Shrink, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Hey, Old Man...no family history, huh?!:rolleyes:

My ancestral home in the Bronx, NY was torn down to build a highway!!:(

11. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I was born & raised in Michigan. I moved to Tennessee during my junior year in High school & stayed there through two years of college, then moved back to Michigan and finished school. I moved out to New Jersey almost 6 years ago. I have no desire to live anywhere else (...yet).

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Born in Louisiana. Lived in a few different places there and went to college in the state. Since then, I've also lived in Maine in numerous different places over the past six summers. Have spent an extended period of time in Paris on a few occasions. Lived in Maryland briefly, and then Delaware for a year. Moved to West Virginia two years ago for a teaching position, still here for the moment.

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

I would love to see that house. I bet it's beautiful.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Born in Chelmsford Essex, South East UK
    Then Moved to Gateshead, North East UK
    Back to Chelmsford (with a lot of commuting to Barnet to see my girlfriend)
    South London
    North London
    West Midlands
    Quite a bit of moving around the UK. Been in the West Midlands for 10 years now which is the second longest I've ever stayed anywhere.

Attached Files:

15. eternlgladiator, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Lived in Wisconsin for my whole life until I moved to Minnesota this year finally. Spent a few summers as a kid living in Georgia with my Mom. Nothing too special.

16. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Born and raised in Pennsylvania, been here my whole life.

17. snberk103 macrumors 603

Born in LA, California
    Moved to rural New Jersey
    Moved to rural Pennsylvania
    Moved to Pittsburgh, PA
    Moved to Hong Kong
    Back to Pittsburgh
    Moved to Ontario, in Canada - that was in my 1st 11 years of life.
    Moved to Singapore
    Back to Ontario - 4 different homes
    Moved to Lake Louise, AB
    Then down the road to Banff, AB
    Then to Windsor, ON
    Then to Vancouver, BC
    Then spent 6 months in Hawaii
    Then back to Vancouver - 4 homes in Metro Vancouver, including Burnaby, BC
    Now on an island in the Salish Sea (BC side) - two different homes here.

I'm sure I've missed a couple.

We are now in a house we had built for us.
    I plan to die here. And by 'here' I mean in this house. I'm not moving again. Ever.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Los Angeles -> Mission Hills, CA -> Rosamond, CA -> Lancaster, CA -> Los Angeles -> Elko, NV -> Las Vegas

I'll be moving back to Los Angeles again soon.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Along the Front Range.

21. ianwuk macrumors regular

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Lived all over Southern California (San Fernando Valley, Camarillo, Riverside, now in downtown LA) and lived in Silicon Valley for a couple years.

I wish I could've lived in Hawaii, Vegas, or some place nice and green like Michigan.

23. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Your timeline puts you at UW at a pretty interesting time...

Excellent!
    Ouch, that's gotta sting a little bit! :p

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Bahrain > Bombay > Ankara/Istanbul > Hampshire, UK > Paris > Brussels > Australia > London > Richmond

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

VERY interesting time 1964 - 1968!!

It was incredible!!:p:D