Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by grandM, Oct 24, 2014.

1. grandM, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I must be getting old. I just looked back at the 1968 version and I am convinced that it is better than the remake. Even more it seems to me that the remake of rise of planet of the apes adds up nicely to the 68 version and not to the remake of planet of the apes. For in the remake of rise a virus smartens apes on earth and kills men on earth. Hence it is no longer needed to send up a smartened ape in space which is done in the remake of planet of the apes. What is inexcusable though is I watched Burke more closely than Linda Harrison. I did not know she played Wonder Woman later on by the way.

For whom not haven't seen it yet: skip the remake and watch the 68 version. Pay SPECIAL attention to Linda Harrison for she is worth it. Here is the dame in distress. [​IMG]

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Was she Nova, the mute? I used to fantasize about her when I was a kid. I wonder where she is now?

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If you're talking about Wonder Woman the tv show in the 70s, it was Lynda Carter that played the title roll. I had a big crush on her when I was a kid:eek::D

4. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

The 68 version of Planet of the Apes is a great movie IMHO. I use to love when the entire series was broadcast as a marathon on TV. My whole day was booked watching apes enslave man, apes underground, apes in the past, apes and man peaceful, apes murdering apes. Ah! Good times.

However, the Burton 2001 remake was a bit of a letdown. The movie itself was ok (it had Marky Mark so how could it be bad?), but the ending was just ridiculous and very confusing. I think they were hoping to film at least one sequel and maybe that would have cleared the ending up some, but who knows. All in all, it beats a lot of bad movies since all but the last 5 or so minutes is a good watch.

5. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

indeed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Harrison_(actress)

----------

ow, I already thought that was another hottie
    you were not alone

----------

uhu confusing indeed, cliffhanger though
    watching the series now

----------

lol 45 years ago and you still know her name
    she must have left quite an impression

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I thought the remake of Planet of the Apes was worthy, but for me did not displace the original 1968 version as the best telling of the story. Particularly I did not care for the ending of the remake, preferring the "You Maniacs"! Version of the original. :)

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In 1975 or so, our local theatre ran all five originals in a long Saturday afternoon matinee.

Anyway, I think "Beneath" was the worst of the series. Charlton Heston did not want to make a sequel, and overwrought James Franciscus was a weak replacement. I read that when the producers realized they had a giant turd on their hands, they offered Heston a lot of money just to come in and appear in the last scene (so his name would appear in the credits.) It still sucked, especially that ridiculous phone-looking "nuclear warhead" at the end.

8. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

It was not that bad
    I just saw it
    Weeping for Nova's death though
    Those apes got what they deserved for her demise!

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

The book is worth reading. While the "You bastards!" ending of the 1968 movie was terrific, the book's ending is quite different and good in its own way. Check it out if you have a chance.

10. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

I had to read it years ago in French. Don't know how it ended anymore though.

11. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

It's been 40 years or so for me, but as I recall the whole story of the astronaut and the ape planet was found as a "message in a bottle" and narrated to the reader by a female traveling with her mate in a personal spaceship. There were a couple twists at the end that I won't spoil, but the ape planet was not Earth as in the movie. I thought it was interesting in the book that the apes were more advanced, having air travel and being on the verge of space travel.

And of course, they did not speak English. The astronaut had to learn their language. :)

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Pierre Boule also wrote "The Day of the Dolphin."