planetelectronics scam?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Morder, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Morder macrumors newbie

2. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Pay with a visa that has some kindmof buyer protection, see what happens.... They might have the pricing incorrect, you could land a great deal; or an email letting you know they screwed up the price and had to cancel the order....

3. Morder thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the reviews doesn't look like a error. I could do it threw Paypal as they refund very quickly if it is reported.

4. Morder thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard to believe when the computer weighs 4 pounds and shipping weight listed is 2 pounds

5. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

2 things came across my mind. First, there's no way anyone would sell a 2000$ laptop for $1200. Think about it. If they did, it would be a mistake. And that website looks like garbage, has scam or shoddy ecommerce written all over it.

Second, I questioned your motive. You may work for that website and try to get more traffic to that page. To me personally, those reviews looks fake as hell and I'm not giving my credit card # to some janky website.

People wonder how they get hacked. It's not always the website or account you got hacked in that had the security breach. Let's say you purchase this MBP and make an account with your email and password. Chances are, most people use the same password and will put in a password that will also match with their email, bank account, forums, etc. Scammers go ahead and run bots or programs to test this name/password combo and can hit big bucks.

I'd advise against it.

6. MH01 Suspended

MH01

There is not much markup on Apple products, and these guys are selling it for $1250? That's even under referb prices.

At this price they are selling them at a loss, I would walk away...

Not to mention even google has nothing on this company. Even http://www.whois.net/ brings nothing on them.... Walk away!

7. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

My original response was a bit mean but I edited some of it t give the OP the benefit of the doubt. But the OP did sign up for the forum today and only has 3 posts. Buyers beware.

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

Spelling and Grammar is a bit hit and miss as well...

9. Comeagain?, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

All three in this thread.

Personally, if its too good to be true, it probably is. There is something that will go wrong here. Either you will get a very expensive empty box, or your credit card number stolen, username/password stolen, etc. I wouldn't trust it.

Edit, read the about us page. "We get bulk discounts direct from manufacturers. Such as canon, Apple, Microsoft." To get bulk pricing low enough to sell those at $1200, they would have had to buy several thousand of them. Same with the canon. A Canon 7D for $900? Seriously?

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Never trust reviews on the site.! Especially this site, as EVERY review is 5 stars.

11. luigi.lauro, Jul 3, 2012

luigi.lauro macrumors member

From 'About Us':

From 'Contact Us':

Products in their catalog:

Whois of DOMAIN:

The only Presner Sejour I could google up is from NJ and dead:

The address in the whois is this one:

All reviews on the website are 5 stars and from:

Do I need to go on? Heck, I could do a better scam in about 3 to 4 hours...

12. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Walk away that has scam written all over it and who know's what damage could happen if you went ahead and brought it.

13. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

If it's a scam how come it has three 5-star reviews then?

14. Morien macrumors member

:)

15. No-Me macrumors 6502a

How long would it take before a freshly registered macrumors member will show up here and say he's one of their happy customers and did business with them a few times.

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I'm actually a bit curious about that website. How do they pull off the scam if payment is being made through Google Checkout? Wouldn't they refund your money in a heartbeat if you don't receive the item?

EDIT: Never mind, I've just gone through their checkout process and nowhere do I see an option to pay using Google Checkout like it says in their About page.

[​IMG]

'Please send us your complete credit card information!'

Sounds and looks scammy.

17. ibescammer macrumors newbie

I did business with them many times in the past.

Recently, I bought 2 retina MacBook Pro with them, and everything went smooth as silk.

I ordered on the 29/6 my first retina, and on the next day I decided to order a second one, but right before I could click buy on the second one, UPS ringed at my door and they delivered both, even the second one I didn't order yet!

Their customer service is top notch indeed!

The rMBP were of course 2.9/32/1024, which is a custom BTO that Apple does only for them.

As soon as my paraplegic daughter started using it, she also began walking again, and since the day I clicked buy on planetelectronics website my wife instantly became a swallower, despite being a spitter all these years!

Can't get any better!

Thank-you Planet Electronics.

18. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I like your name and registered date.

19. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Your review seems to be legitimate :D Let's all order from Planet Electronics!

20. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Apple do not give "Bulk discounts" not unless your a corporate...Like the others here, walk away, don't part with any cash via any means at all...If it walks like a duck then that's what it is.

21. No-Me macrumors 6502a

22. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I've brought 20 on my lunch break and they have just arrived now off to ebay!

23. musty345, Jul 3, 2012

musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I laughed a lot at this, but hopefully no MacRumor's member takes this seriously and actually buys one...

24. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

25. trikky macrumors regular

...and then winds up getting a divorce because his wife remains a spitter...