Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko99

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2016
So do you think Apple deliberately codes to make performance worse? Or perhaps its that certain features rely on hardware (such as the hardware decoders used for video or the chips built specifically to deal with a certain type of encryption) that older devices simply don't have in them?
I think they load the latest IOS with features that use their latest iphone release to near it's capacity. I don't think there is code that throttles the cpu of older devices, but anything is possible. The main issue I have is if you don't upgrade the OS apps stop working after some time.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
The fact that Apple disables the ability to go back to a previous version so quickly (2-4 weeks) to me screams planned obsolescence. Their excuse might be security but that's BS to me.

If iOS10 feels sluggish when typing for example, why can't I go back to iOS9 buttery smooth lag-free experience?

Apple wants people to feel sluggishness and blocks downgrading so they buy a new iPhone.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think they load the latest IOS with features that use their latest iphone release to near it's capacity. I don't think there is code that throttles the cpu of older devices, but anything is possible. The main issue I have is if you don't upgrade the OS apps stop working after some time.
That sounds like you should take it up with lazy app developers then....
[doublepost=1483034356][/doublepost]
The fact that Apple disables the ability to go back to a previous version so quickly (2-4 weeks) to me screams planned obsolescence. Their excuse might be security but that's BS to me.
By all means, watch a conference presentation on iOS security. We'll see what's "BS" or not after.

Reactions: hojx and macTW

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
That sounds like you should take it up with lazy app developers then....

The issue many are talking about extends beyond apps and app versioning, the OS itself feels sluggish and laggy, with things as simple as swiping between home screen pages.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
By all means, watch a conference presentation on iOS security. We'll see what's "BS" or not after.

If that's the case why doesn't Apple block all current iOS9 users from using their phones right now? Brick their phones unless they upgrade to iOS10. There is a choice right? So why not let me downgrade if I choose to? No difference. Except lost profits for Apple.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If that's the case why doesn't Apple block all current iOS9 users from using their phones right now? Brick their phones unless they upgrade to iOS10. There is a choice right? So why not let me downgrade if I choose to? No difference. Except lost profits for Apple.
....code signing only has to do with making sure you're not getting a fraudulent version of iOS pulled down to your phone. What in the world does staying on iOS9 have to do with that?

You're not very technical are you? You also clearly didn't bother to watch.

Reactions: macTW

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op Apple do not force you to update the os, the option would be to switch to android and trust me bar a few android devices you won't get an major os update after purchase ;)

eduschean

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
I think Apple chooses to incrementally upgrade their products to make all devices last only a few years. For instance, why doesn't the iPhone 7 have 3 GB of Ram and the iPhone 6 didn't have 2 GB of Ram? The answer is 1.) Profit Margins and 2.) Planned obsolescence. All technology will always be incrementally added to phones. If you put all current technology into this years phone, why would anyone upgrade. Odds are, Apple already had their 2017 phone and 2018 phone planned out already and the technology is already here. Matter of fact, we see technology on IPhones now that we're introduced on Android phones 2-3 years ago. However, Apple wants their OS to run smoothly no matter what do they perfect the technology to match the OS.
No reason to be mad about planned Obsolescence, just trade/sell your current phone while you can get the most value for it and minimize your costs on the next one

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
- With every iteration, OS's get more and more complicated, supporting new features, becoming more secure, and incorporating more and more API's.

- As you use a device, you load more and more apps onto the phone. More things need resources, no matter how little, it adds up.

- Users complain about performance, but also things like battery life. Sure Apple, or any phone manufacturer, can make a blazing fast, buttery smooth phone, but at the expense of battery life.

It's all a compromise, not a conspiracy.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
- With every iteration, OS's get more and more complicated, supporting new features, becoming more secure, and incorporating more and more API's.

- As you use a device, you load more and more apps onto the phone. More things need resources, no matter how little, it adds up.

- Users complain about performance, but also things like battery life. Sure Apple, or any phone manufacturer, can make a blazing fast, buttery smooth phone, but at the expense of battery life.

It's all a compromise, not a conspiracy.

I'm not stating it's a conspiracy. In fact, I acknowledged the first two points in the original post. However, I do think they may purposely hold back interface optimization as scrolling from page to page should still feel totally smooth on a year-old phone.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
....code signing only has to do with making sure you're not getting a fraudulent version of iOS pulled down to your phone. What in the world does staying on iOS9 have to do with that?

You're not very technical are you? You also clearly didn't bother to watch.

You didn't bother reading my post did you? Apple blocks downgrades to iOS9 on newer devices, yet they allow iPhone 4s users stay on iOS9 with no issues at all. Perfectly fine OS to use. Why forbid choice? Profits.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You didn't bother reading my post did you? Apple blocks downgrades to iOS9 on newer devices, yet they allow iPhone 4s users stay on iOS9 with no issues at all. Perfectly fine OS to use. Why forbid choice? Profits.
Please. Please, please read and understand.

STAYING on iOS9 is entirely different from downgrading. Apple stops signing the iOS9 firmware about two weeks after iOS10 comes out, that way someone trying to break into a phone through a downgrade (to prevent a tampered iOS version from being installed) will be unable to do so.

IF you wanted to downgrade, there was absolutely nothing preventing you from doing so in the first two weeks.

If you want to understand these things, do a bit of reading, otherwise you just look like someone who doesn't understand anything about security.

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

STAYING on iOS9 is entirely different from downgrading. Apple stops signing the iOS9 firmware about two weeks after iOS10 comes out, that way someone trying to break into a phone through a downgrade (to prevent a tampered iOS version from being installed) will be unable to do so.

IF you wanted to downgrade, there was absolutely nothing preventing you from doing so in the first two weeks.

If you want to understand these things, do a bit of reading, otherwise you just look like someone who doesn't understand anything about security.

Please please understand that Apple stopping signing an OS is effectively blocking the downgrade. Why stop signing it? There is zero reason for it.

Reactions: Cameroncafe10a

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

Then why can't up upgrade to the newer iOS's without going all the way to the newest? For example, I have a iphone 4 on 8.2.x I want to put it on 8.4.x, but I have no choice but to go to the latest OS already downloaded on my device, right?

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Please please understand that Apple stopping signing an OS is effectively blocking the downgrade. Why stop signing it? There is zero reason for it.
Read the security outline, watch the presentation. There are plenty of reasons.

Reactions: macTW

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That's how computers work. As the OS gets more sophisticated, it uses more resources and the computer gets slower with age. Happens with all computers, smart phones and tablets. This has been discussed ad nauseam. Aloha

Yes, that is very much understood. However, my past two iPhones felt like they were older than they were after just about nine months. Meanwhile my 2012 rMBP is running Mac OS Sierra and feels as smooth as most modern Macs. I feel like they're not optimizing the interface as well as they could.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Yes, that is very much understood. However, my past two iPhones felt like they were older than they were after just about nine months. Meanwhile my 2012 rMBP is running Mac OS Sierra and feels as smooth as most modern Macs. I feel like they're not optimizing the interface as well as they could.

This is the part that people keep overlooking... They need to optimize at least for 2 previous iphones. There is no reason that an iphone 6/6+ should feel sluggish on 10.0... It seems like every first x.0 release it runs crappy on every other phone but the newest, then they spend the rest of the year trying to make it better for the older phones. They never quite seem to do it with any phone 2 versions old by the time they move to the (X+1).0 version.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The truth is: all older devices slow down in the 3 or 4 firmware.they doesnt perfom well as it did before.
True. The thing is there's pretty significant improvement in ARM CPU/GPUs with every iteration that by the time you reach 3 or 4 firmware updates, new hardware is sometimes already 8-16x as fast as your 3-4 year old phone.

That said, I wish iOS would stop nagging you to update. It's getting hard to stay on older firmware when the device is asking you to update every few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.