Planning on getting an iPhone with my girlfriend.. need some advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kramjam, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

My girlfriend and I have been really intrigued with the iPhone since they came out, and didn't want to switch to AT&T, but with the 3GS, we think we may just jump ship from T-Mobile and switch to finally stop envying other people's iPhones and have our own, instead of using our iPod Touch.

I guess there's no real way to get out of T-mobile contract and avoid paying an ETF, so I guess we have to pay that. We plan to keep our numbers, so we'd have to go ATT first, purchase the phones and request for the port, then talk to T-Mobile?

We're also trying to save money, and we think that having the cheapest Family share plan would be better than having two separate individual plans. Anyone have anything to say about that? We will have unlimited texting assuming we get a Family plan.

Thanks so much in advance

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You shouldn't have to go back to T-Mobile. When you port the number T-Mobile will know your account has been canceled and send you a final bill.

This will be the cheaper route, yes.

3. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Could save by using text free unlimited, and getting the 200mms options on both lines...

that would be $10 per month opposed to $30 a month.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I was referring to the family plan.

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

No, you've got it backwards. They will not sell you a phone at Apple or AT&T without a contract. You need to call T-Mobile and tell them you are porting your number to AT&T and pay the ETF, then go to AT&T or Apple and purchase your new phone with new contract.

I don't know how strict AT&T is with family plans, but with some family plans you have to provide proof you are at the same address, etc. Additionally I personally think it's a very bad idea to go into contracts with people you are just dating (if you were married it would be different, as that is THE contract above all contracts) just to save $20-$40 a month on cell service.

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

yes the unlimited texting on a family plan is $30 am I wrong?

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Not quite. T-Mobile need not be involved. Just show up at an AT&T store, they can handle everything.

Seriously? You are wanting to argue about this? Family plans are cheaper than individual plans. That's all I meant. Period. How he decides to handle texting is none of my concern.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You are right, assuming that t-mobile will just send him ETT in the mail when AT&T initiates the number port.

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

That is what they do. I speak from experience. You don't have to go tell them diddly squat.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Buy an used 3G, unlock it and use it on T-Mobile. Done deal.

11. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

Yeah we considered that route, but we really want to have 3G speeds and everything

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Then pay for it...even simpler. So your post is basically to whine and moan?

13. Switz213 macrumors 6502

??? Don't talk when you are ignorant. He never moaned or whined, so idk why you are even saying that. He can't use 3G with Tmobile because tMobile's 3g runs on a different band than AT&T (along with the iPhone). You can only use Tmobile's Edge with the iPhone. So don't get all up on your high horse when you actually have no idea.

Good Luck OP.

14. icurbyou macrumors newbie

What would be the point of getting this?.... Well, I suppose to answer my own question some users are having luck with MMS in the U.S..... Iunno, I think I may still go about my grassroots way of texting/MMS... The less money I pay the former Scamgular the better.

I say save the $120/yr and dont give anything to AT&T for SMS or MMS

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Who's the ignorant one? He is concerned of the cost, and the best way to keep the cost down is to stick with T-Mobile and I offered the solution. Can't have best of both world, either you pay for it, or take the other option.

16. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Agreed. It seems like accusing everyone of whining has become a sport here.

17. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I second that. But, I also know that love is irrational by design. ;)

18. Teskox macrumors newbie

Wish an iphone came with my girlfriend ... sigh

19. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

Yeah, I can't wait to go to ATT and get the phone. We plan on buying the phones on July 2nd, and I had a question about how the ETF works, if anyone knows. If I call tonight and tell them I want out of the contract, will my service with T-Mobile stop or is that a specific date when my service stops?

20. dbell macrumors member

Don't do it. You'll be tied to her for two years after you catch her blowing some drifter on your favorite chair.

21. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

DO NOT cancel your T-Mobile service before you port your number.

You have to go to AT&T first and tell them you want to port your number, then T-Mobile will automatically cancel your contract and charge you for the ETF

22. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. They can split the accounts into 2 without causing any ETFs.

23. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

+1.

If you cancel your contract you WILL LOSE YOUR PHONE NUMBERS.
    You must go to AT&T, sign up, ask them to port your number. This will cancel your t-mobile contract and they will send you your final bill (maybe prorated).

24. kramjam thread starter macrumors 6502

kramjam

lol @ dbell :/

Right, I understand the part about keeping our number, thanks. The reason I ask why if our service will continue to stay is because people have been contacting T-Mobile with a new price hike up for some fee and been getting out of their contracts without paying the ETF, and I'm kind of trying to do the same, :/

$400 is a lot! Kind of sucks.. so yeah, I was just wondering if I manage to get out of my contract without the fee, if I'll have service or not after.

25. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

it can be done. friend of mine did that with verizon. i forget, but he found some tax or something that increased. i'm not 100% certain what was increased, but i think it was a tax? either way, he was on the phone for about 30 minutes, talked to a few people, and got out of it.

my contract ended last saturday with verizon which is why I switched over to the iPhone.