Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I am on the fence at this point, it requires a subscription as far as I know. Just wondering about your plans.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I am on the fence at this point, it requires a subscription as far as I know. Just wondering about your plans.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather use a decent product that's free versus a great product that costs money - especially a subscription.

And I'm not even convinced that Office is a "great" product - just ubiquitous at this point. I have no issue using iWork at home.

Subscription software baffles me....an online game, I can understand. There's constant upkeep required. But for Office? If I didn't have to use it at work, I would've given it up years ago when I made the switch to a Mac.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I just really don't see how you can do word processing on a IPad..??

With an external keyboard, its no different that doing word processing on a laptop.

Without an external keyboard, it just takes a little getting used to. I wouldn't write a novel on an iPad - but basic word processing isn't difficult or uncomfortable IMO.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather use a decent product that's free versus a great product that costs money - especially a subscription.

And I'm not even convinced that Office is a "great" product - just ubiquitous at this point. I have no issue using iWork at home.

Subscription software baffles me....an online game, I can understand. There's constant upkeep required. But for Office? If I didn't have to use it at work, I would've given it up years ago when I made the switch to a Mac.

That is why you have a choice as to if you download nad use it or not. The majority of business is still on Office and have had more than a few problems trying to convert my Page docs to Office.

I just really don't see how you can do word processing on a IPad..??

Even Apple and Pages would be upset if all thought like you. Believe it or not lots of people are using word processing, writing report, books, etc. Not every one plays games all day, some work and use the iPad as a tool in the business world. The iPad really works quite well as a word processor.

If you think word processing is hard, just think about doing spread sheets!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If it requires a subscription, no I don't plan on using it.

If it is FREE but locked into OneDrive for storing documents (just like OneNote for OSX), I would have to seriously consider it.

I frequently edit files on an iMac, iPad, Lenovo ultrabook, Surface 2, (and if I can get my dead 2011 MBP resurrected, that too). I use a mix of tools (LibreOffice/NeoOffice on OSX, MS Office 2013 on the Surface 2, MS Office 2003 on the Lenovo, limited apps on the iPad). Having Office on the iPad sounds great in theory, but I'll wait to see the reality before deciding.

Even Apple and Pages would be upset if all thought like you. Believe it or not lots of people are using word processing, writing report, books, etc. Not every one plays games all day, some work and use the iPad as a tool in the business world. The iPad really works quite well as a word processor.

If you think word processing is hard, just think about doing spread sheets!
The greatest issue for me with doing heavy word processing and spreadsheeting on the iPad is the lack of support for a bluetooth mouse. I have a Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for my iPad 4 which works wonderfully for long word processing and blogging. But to have a mouse... oh to have a mouse.
I didn't realize how useful that could be until I bought a Surface 2.

sholzer

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
I probably would use it now as a student as something light to bring to class for notes, but after I graduate, I see it becoming less useful.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
With an external keyboard, its no different that doing word processing on a laptop.

Without an external keyboard, it just takes a little getting used to. I wouldn't write a novel on an iPad - but basic word processing isn't difficult or uncomfortable IMO.

I agree. I've used the apple office apps for plenty of things and it does me OK. No, I wouldn't write Lord of the Rings on it but for small to medium docs it's fine. I like the touch screen typing and interface. Formatting options are limited versus office, as expected. Numbers also works good for me and what I need.

I'm sure office will sell decently but it feels about three years late as I said in another thread. They've lost users(probably a good number) to some of the other options out there, that can't be denied.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
While I use MS Office at work and have it on my home desktop, I have no use for it on an iPad especially if it is going to be subscription based.

I have the Apple iWorks suite that I've never touched yet if I really need it in a pinch.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
iWork's and google drive are currently meeting my needs quite well. I for one won't be in a rush to install office should it ever come out for the iPad.

1 year ago, I would still have cared, but I have since adjusted my workflow to minimize the need for office. Microsoft can only blame themselves for dragging their feet on this matter.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I dont see a lot enterprise users doing reports and spreadsheets on the ipad--but there is also great value in being able to call up and review or display files--which I think plays to ipad strengths. If its free to office 365 users--that a great deal I havent seen the pricing yet. I think this is MS choosing Office over Windows. Hope there are some sales figues...

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
I'd use it if it were a one-time purchase (and not a crazy expensive one). Subscribing to a word processor, spreadsheet app, presentation app, etc. is such a weird business model and not worth it to me. I have Office '11 on my Mac, and for the relatively few times Office is actually required to do something -- i.e., creating a document or presentation handout that I can't just send as a PDF and instead have to send it as a .docx or .pptx -- I'll use that. Otherwise, Pages and Keynote are good enough and free!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I may, I've been using iWork, but the lack of features is limiting its usefulness imo.

Without going to office 365, I wonder how easy it will be to have a synchronized set of documents. Right now thanks to the iCloud, I can easily edit my Numbers spreadsheet on my work computer, iPad, and Mac. That's the major draw of iWork for me.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013

As a student I can't type and edit as easily as on a laptop, i can't footnote as easily, I can't swap between pdfs and webpages instantly or have them all on the screen at the same time, i have to wait a few seconds going backwards and forwards between things. I also study spanish so I need a dictionary, webpage and word document open simultaneously. Currently this is a nightmare to deal with without a laptop.

and with pdfs, at uni, they are often made by copying books like pictures and so half the time copy and paste isn't possible.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It would be nice for Microsoft to release a paid app too. Not that I have a problem with subscribing to 365 if I need to, its just that I bought the paid versions of Office on my computers rather than subscribing and I don't want to make it all a waste of money.

JPS127

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
As a professional writer whose publishers expect Word docs, yes, I'd probably subscribe to it, primarily so I could edit when needed and save to Dropbox to be accessed later on my MBP.

As a screenwriter I have Final Draft for the iPad. Not a subscription service, but a one-time charge.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Whilst it will undoubtably require and Office 365 sub, lets put that into context.

If the iPad is part of a family home with multiple laptops / computer devices - the Office 365 subscription would cover

5 computers and your iPad. Which for $99 is only $20 per device - per year for hassle free legitimate version of Office, which is a good deal.

Many houses have a main desktop and perhaps two students with their own laptops, so when put into this context the Office 365 sub is not overly expensive.

--

However what we do have nowadays is a culture of people expecting something for nothing ....

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013
If they will be adding MS office for free then why not? hihihi. i Love Ms office ;)

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Don't know the hate to 365 Subscription

365 Subscription gives you more than just access MS office on your iPad, it also allows you to install MS Office to 5 computers and some Skype minutes and you will get new version of office when it comes available. I do not see how this is a bad deal consider MS office is much powerful software than any free app available.

Yes, I will use it since I already have 4 years subscription from 365 University subscription. I am also tired of constantly converting to .docx and .xlsx from Pages and Numbers app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.