Planning to buy a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oxymoron28, Sep 2, 2013.

1. oxymoron28 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've had enough with Windows Machines now and have decided to bite the bullet and go for a macbook pro, I've been looking at the macbook pro retinas and have somewhat settled on the 8gb 15" MBP w/ Retina, but I have a question about it;

Can you upgrade the SSD and Ram in this machine? And if so, does it void the manufacture warranty?

Also, anyone who has this mbp, whats your personal opinion on it?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

RAM is not upgradeable after you buy it. It has to be before. As per the SSD, there is chance it is. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

The new retina MBP's are not user-upgradable. And before the flames chap my arse... I don't know why anyone would want to risk voiding their warranty by installing a pricey SSD from OWC.

Yes, you can put the old innards back in your machine should it ever need warranty service but really?

4. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

RAM is soldered to the logic board, and SSD is replaceable but overpriced (OWC is the only place to get the SSD blades I believe).
    Better off to get what you think you'll need when you customize your rMBP. :apple:

5. Shmanky macrumors regular

Read about the problems with the Retina MacBook Pro's display like image retention and yellowing before buying.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Might as well buy the upgrade from Apple.

7. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Pretty much. But the high end 15'' rMBP is a lot of money to dish out at once... Some people can find a way to get by with the base model though. If you can deal with 8GB RAM, just get a 500GB+ External HDD and save a couple hundred bucks... I know that's what I'm doing when I get my rMBP. :eek:

8. oxymoron28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I do have 2 1TB external hard drives so storage wont be a massive issue, it was mostly because i still need windows for some things so was going to boot camp it, will just have to put up with a smaller partition.

Though, from what some of you have been saying it sounds like it's possible to send the macbook to apple post purchase to have it upgraded? Right?

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

No, Apple won't do dat :(

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Upgrade at purchase or live with whatever it is you bought.