Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Previously I was waiting for the release of the new iMac. However, since it's non-releasing and my thought on portability, I have decided to buy a 2.53GHz MBP as a desktop replacer and its portability is a plus to me. However, the rumor of the soon releasing Snow Leopard has become a doubt to me weather this MBP is capable to run Snow Leopard. As well, sometimes I might need to switch to window for some app or maybe gaming, hence would also like to ask if this MBP is capable to install the latest version of window-Window 7. Will it be very lag-gy using both Snow Leopard and Window 7 on the current MBP?

Thank you for any answer given.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Can anyone advise if there is a big difference between the 2.4GHz and 2.53GHz models of MBP? My major uses are school work, some photo editing, huge movies watching, gaming, etc. If I were to get the 2.4GHz one, I will go for 4Gb RAM. Also, I would like to ask if there is also a big difference between 320Gb HDD @ 5400 and @ 7200?

Thank you for any answer given again.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Previously I was waiting for the release of the new iMac. However, since it's non-releasing and my thought on portability, I have decided to buy a 2.53GHz MBP as a desktop replacer and its portability is a plus to me. However, the rumor of the soon releasing Snow Leopard has become a doubt to me weather this MBP is capable to run Snow Leopard. As well, sometimes I might need to switch to window for some app or maybe gaming, hence would also like to ask if this MBP is capable to install the latest version of window-Window 7. Will it be very lag-gy using both Snow Leopard and Window 7 on the current MBP?

Thank you for any answer given.

The new 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro will handle Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard very but very smoothly.

I am using a 2.4 GHz MacBook and I run Windows 7 as a Boot Camp partition. Windows 7 is very responsive and smooth (take into consideration this is Windows, land of errors/crashes and BSODs). Snow Leopard will run even faster as its Apple own hardware + software and Snow Leopard carries some serious under-the-hood changes. Much like adding a v8 engine into a car that once carried v3.

Using both at the same time requires a virtualization software like VMware Fusion. I also use Fusion to boot into XP and Vista. Vista runs fine, XP runs blazing fast, OS X on the other hand is not affected performance wise.

Believe me, Macs are rock solid and won't fail. In the case they do Apple care is there for you.

JazzLion

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
It will not be laggy. Many people have been running Windows 7 quite well, most problems are with lack of drivers (such as the wifi card) and no good implementation of two touch (right click).

And Leopard is mostly about tweaking, and providing additional stability. Apple has 10.5 supporting PPC. There is no reason why a 10.6 will suddenly not be able to function properly under such recent hardware that you are considering to buy.

htchang1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Thank you for those who replied.

I have actually updated some other enquiries. Please advise if you can.
Thank you very much.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The difference between the processors is the L2 cache and the extra MHz. The 2.4 GHz CPU carries 3MB L2 cache where as the 2.5 GHz CPU carries 153 MHz more and 6MB L2 cache(which is useful in video editing and heavy games and can speed bump slightly the machine).

If you really don't do any heavy stuff on it the 2.4 GHz will suffice. However, if you want to future proof yourself as much as possible and think you will use or need those extras in the CPU, then go for the 2.53 GHz.

In the HDD, 5400 and 7200 rpm are the different speeds the hard disk runs. The higher the rpm, the faster the HDD performs (read & write) and the more snappy your MBP becomes. The down side to a faster rpm is that it may vibrate, it some times gets hotter than the 5400 rpm, and uses a bit more battery life. Some people have different results, yours may vary.

RAM wise, you don't need to worry with the 2.53 GHz, as that one carries 4 GB RAM already installed on it. However, if you do get the 2.4 GHz, I'd suggest get as much RAM as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.