Plans to baby your Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jknopp, May 19, 2015.

1. jknopp, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

jknopp macrumors newbie

So you just got your brand new Watch. It's so sleek, clean and shiny (non-sport models)! If you're anything like me, you want to keep this new investment of yours in pristine condition for as long as possible. Sure, you could buy a case for it (and sacrifice the timepiece's width)... but why trade comfort and size for protection? I highly recommend a skin such as this http://www.skinomi.com/sk18681-apple-watch-42mm-skin-protector.html . Once applied, it's nearly invisible and adds no bulk whatsoever. They're quite comparable to Zagg's InvisibleShield; nearly identical. It's also incredibly useful, especially if you have a Sport watch and are worried about nicking at that Ion-X glass. Skinomi also offers other detailed and textured wraps for your watch (and other products). I put skins like these on all of my iDevices.. my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2. I don't think I can recommend them any more than I am now! You might be able to snag a better deal on eBay or Amazon... I got a full body shield for $9.99.

2. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Been rockin my sport naked since 4.24 while playing sports multiple times per week. It's still in pristine condition.

3. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I really liked the Zagg shield! you can't tell it is there! not buying anything else tho, I don't want cases or anything extra! maybe a new band.

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

5. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

The sapphire display doesn't need a screen protector unless you juggle diamonds for a hobby.

6. robfern macrumors newbie

Any of you take shower with it? I need this watch to be water proof. That is the only thing holding me back

7. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Yup, mine has been in the shower more than a dozen times with no ill effects. The waterproofing seems to be better than the rating Apple has gone for. Obviously you would do so at your own risk, but showering with the watch seems to be a non-issue.

(I shower with it so I can give it and my wrist a clean; during the shower I take the watch off and use the lather from my body wash to clean the underside).

----------

For me it's about shock protection, especially for the screen. I had planned to keep the watch naked, but it has become clear that for some activities that is a bad idea.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm certainly careful and attentive that I don't slam my watch into a hard surface, but other then that, I do not baby my watch. Instead, I choose to live life without worry or fear...and if my watch ever gets damaged in the process, then I will buy a replacement watch from Apple, which is currently $279 for the 42mm Sport. (Which is the model I own.)

Life goes on -- enjoy every moment.

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'll just be sure to use a case when at the gym/running/etc. No point covering it all the time unless the cover looks better than the watch.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I try to baby all my :apple: kit. Therefore, I plan to get the Zagg screen shield and maybe a case for use in hard environments.

11. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

Talk about a fun hobby! :p
    Would be scared I'd mess up the gold on my watch though... ;) lol

In all seriousness though, I hate scratches, but I'm not sure I'll need anything to protect my watch. I try to be fairly careful about bumping and scraping against objects. I'm glad the watch is made of SS... I love anodized aluminum, but a scratch on it shows up horribly. SS on the other hand, is a lot less noticeable.

12. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

Yes, once. It was fine. It's water resistant, not water proof. You can't scuba dive with it. There are a number of reviews online of the water resistance, with various stress tests and whatnot.

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

holy wow......
    skins and cases for watches is just silly.

14. bobtrotter macrumors newbie

Yeah. I plan on taking a shower and doing my hair nice every morning so I look pristine for the watch. Then put my softest clothes on so it doesn't scratch. I'll make sure my nails are neatly cut too, don't wanna take any chances. I'm actually considering putting two screen protectors on it, one for backup. What do you think?

*someone shoot me*

Is this seriously a real thread?

15. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

No plans to baby my watch. Simply put it on, use it, enjoy it. It was costly enough - no need to add accessories to it.

16. Sludgepond macrumors regular

Sludgepond

Never. It will instantly combust. It says in the manual that comes with the watch.

17. foxkoneko, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

foxkoneko macrumors 6502

yeah you can shower with it, Tim cook even addressed this himself during the presentation for it :p

----------

these people making these threads so funny, it's like they're scared of life :rolleyes:

18. robfern macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! I plan on getting the SS version with a metal band. This is over 1k investment. I do not baby my watches. I am around water a lot and just want to make sure apple got their **** together. Can't buy one now as I am overseas. Perhaps by the time I return, apple might be releasing gen2 version of it. Ciao!

19. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

Ive been washing my baby with it on... Requires me to fully submerge it in the bath tub.... Hope its okay...!

I have AC+ and am going to put a screen protector on it.

20. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

tell that to everyone who has a scratch sapphire screen posting on this board

21. fischersd, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015

fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

You sure about that? Everything I've read, it was a sleazy reporter eavesdropping on a conversation between Tim and an Apple employee.

Now everyone thinks that IPX7 rating is good enough to shower and swim with.

I hope the first people attempting to claim water damage under warranty are just sport watches. They could be in for a hell of a surprise. (at least that's what the AC+ agreement administration staff are saying at Apple).

People should look at page 84 in the Apple Watch User's Guide, under "Exposure to liquid"

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1708/en_US/apple_watch_user_guide.pdf

22. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The reason I got the SS model was so that I didn't have to baby it. The main thing I'm worried about is the display, and with the sapphire that shouldn't be a problem. The body itself can be easily polished like other stainless steel watches, so I might do that every month or two. I might consider protection if I had bought a sport model—but I really doubt that skin looks great when applied to aluminum.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I cannot agree more. I have worn watches since I was in high school. None of them were ever of the quality or engineering of the Watch. I never took any special precautions with any of them. In fact, it was never an issue. I have never had any damage to the watch itself.

The OP and many questions like it make it sound as though the Watch is the most fragile device ever made. It is not. Wear your Watch. Live your life. The Watch will take care of itself.

24. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Don't bother with cases. Get AppleCare+, much better investment.

25. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

What? lol
    the show comment was from one of the apple presentations while Tim was on stage :p