Plastic Back: Will it be more scratch resistant than 2g metal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellish, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mellish macrumors newbie

what do u guys think

will the new plastic back be more scratch/ding/dent resistant compared to the 2g metal iphone?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nowhere near as scratch resistant but it'll give you waaaay better reception.

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Dint resistant? Yes, just due to the fact it isn't metal, but the trade off is that what was a dint on the aluminium could well translate to a crack on the 3G casing.
    As for scratches etc, it will almost definitely be more likely to do so. I remember the days of the 5G iPod with its similarly treated glossy plastic front *wince*

4. ne0star macrumors regular

I'm not sure I buy into this whole 'better reception' idea. The reception on my iPhone is no better or worse than any other phone I have owned.

The people who might see an improvement are those who currently get a very poor signal in their area.

I reckon its plastic for no other reasons than it being cheaper and lighter.

5. mellish thread starter macrumors newbie

i didnt want to have to buy a case for it..looks like i might have to.

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

That's a good idea anyhow...

7. evilboy macrumors member

if you do so your reception and battery life will go down

8. mellish thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the links!

one more question..

do you guys suppose the 3g plastic back will be similar to that of the front of the 5g ipods? or something a bit less likely to get scratched up, because those ipods were real good at getting scratches.

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I second that. I have 2G 4GB and reception is equally as good as with my Nokia.
    Its just cheaper for Apple to use plastic and now they are trying to convince us as always that its just for our good:D

10. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

I can understand reception but i never heard of battery life going down, why is that?

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If a phone isn't getting good reception it will route as much power as it can to try and get signal.

A phone battery will run down the fastest when there's no signal to be had because it's trying to find a signal.

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I third that. I have a Nokia mobile that's mostly metal (front and back) with a plastic section like the iPhone and reception is absolutely fine. There are lots of other metal phones out there too.

Can everyone please stop drinking the KoolAid? The new iPhone has been redesigned to be cheaper to manufacture, end of story. Apple have started removing accessories like the dock. It's all about maintaining their profit margins and shifting more units.

Steve changes his tune like a used car salesman - one minute aluminium and glass is the rage "cos it's just so environmentally friendly man", then the next plastic is the second coming :rolleyes:

If they've really improved the audio quality then I applaud them for that, but don't dress up cheapening the build materials as doing us some kind of favour.

13. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

i just wanna know if it's crack resistant just like my switcheasy black nano biscuit, it fell off a 2 story building and only got 1 small chip in it!, now a iphone biscuit would be a good investment.

14. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Bit harsh bit I know what you mean. I was listening to the keynote live (iPhoneAlley.com) and the little pause when Steve said "The back is really nice...plastic" followed by a non-reaction from the audience was quite funny. However, I've decided I really don't care about scratches. I mean come on - life is just too short. I InvisibleShielded up my iPods and so on but I think I'll just leave the iPhone as it comes. And the screen is still glass, right?

Plus, if the back of the white iPhone looks like my wireless MightyMouse I'll be happy!

15. kdog1176 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I tend to agree with you. My iPhone suprisingly has much better reception than my Curve ever did with its plastic case.

16. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Curve has the worse reception ever ... comparing to Nokia and SonyEricsson. iPhone reception is not the best, but it's more than enough for me.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I disagree. I have been in numerous places where I get zero bars on my iPhone and my wife has 2-3 bars on her RAZR. It does seem to be more indoors than anywhere else.

18. slicecom macrumors 68020

x2! I'd rather have a few scratches on the back of my phone than put it in an ugly case. Who cares if the back gets scratched anyways? As long as the front is in good shape, I'll be happy.

19. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Whilst I agree with you that plastic is a downgrade and clearly to make the iPhonecheaper, there has to be something in plastic giving better reception. In the same way MB wireless reception is better than MBP.

20. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Lets just hope they don't use the plastic they use on the Macbooks , if it is the same plastic maybe the iPhone will become known as the crack phone :p

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Virtually every phone I've owned over the years has been ALL plastic, and I don't recall scratches on the case being an issue.

22. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

23. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, not very scratch resistant, but when it does scratch, they won't be nearly as noticable. Eventually, the entire case will be mildy scratch and will look norma/bareable.

The reception will definitely be better though. And how do you think Apple afforded to give us a $200 iPhone?!?!

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

By selling it to AT&T for $399 and then having AT&T resell it for $199.

25. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

wrong. there's a reason why the v1 iphone isn't aluminum all the way down the back. the bottom part of the back is plastic, and this is where they put the edge antenna, because they knew that aluminum is awful for reception. the plastic will have SIGNIFICANTLY better reception.

and what's wrong with you guys? just because something is metal doesn't mean it's cheaper than plastic. someone please show me a link that states that the plastic back is cheaper than the metal one.