play 1080p mkv in 10.5 or Vista x64

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrossFireXT17, Jun 18, 2008.

1. CrossFireXT17 macrumors member

Hey everyone, I have a brand new Macbook Pro, but looking on how I can play some of my 1080p MKV files. I heard from one of my friends that trying to use VLC only uses one of the cores, so that's why it can't play the 1080p file with ease.

I have Vista x64 Ultimate on Boot Camp (Which I have VM Ware fusion, so I could use that as well), is there a way to play the 1080p file in Vista with full hardware? Also would I be able to use it through VMWare and still play it full speed?

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=441534

3. CrossFireXT17 thread starter macrumors member

yea I already tried Perian, and it works to play the file, but the file still doesn't play well, and I think my macbook pro should be able to play it

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Perian 1.1 has bug with H264 content, it will play very choppy especially on 1080p. Downgrade to 1.0.

OS X is not a good platform for playing HD content, it will not take advantage of GPU acceleration, playback is entirely dependent on the CPU. System will heat up and use a lot of power.
    Windows can take advantage of GPU to accelerate video performance and it will use much less power and CPU.

5. CrossFireXT17 thread starter macrumors member

yea thats what I thought, but I don't know exactly how to use it in Vista very well

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or you can use VLC which doesn't have those issues.

As with video acceleration, I have the PureVideo HD Platinum decoder which ends up with the computer using almost no CPU cycles.