Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2021
Not sure if this is a Big Sur or an M1 Mac issue (or a combination of both). Before upgrading to M1MacBook running, of course, Big Sur, I could hover over an audio file on my desktop for instance and get a little 'Play' button so I could audition a file without having to open it. This feature is now missing. Does anyone know if there's a way to get it back? It was hugely useful when searching through a folder of generically named files.

Thanks in anticipation of any help offered!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's always worked in column view (& still does), but i don't remember ever seeing a popup play button on an audiofile on the desktop.

if you open a folder then go to the desktop, do you see it there (in the folder)?

you can also, of course, use quicklook; just select a file and hit the space bar (and the space bar again to close it)...

Reactions: vanhaze2020

Patbee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of quicklook, that does the trick. But, for the record, in Catalina on my desktop Mac, if I hover over an audio file a Play button appears and I can preview it that way. That feature doesn't seem to be in Big Sur (unless of course there's an option to turn it on somewhere). Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.