Play Nice (and sticky suggestions)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViViDboarder, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I realize there are a lot of stupid people that just jump on the forums because of hype before a new product is released, but there is a point where being harsh to these people is only bringing down the community.

To the newbies:
    • The top right of your browser windows have little button labled "Search". Use it to see if anyone has already posted something with your question or comment.
    • Look at the rest of the posts and browse around a bit before posting something that may have already been discussed in detail.

To the members:
    I know a lot of you have been here much longer than me, but I've been in many forums before and we're seemingly very harsh to some first time posters, who can't help but be idiotic in their post content.

If this has been posted before... ;)

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did you know posting this thread just makes everything worse?

Did you also know this thread will do nothing to change any of it? I mean, if people can't even search for a question asked hundreds of times, what makes you think they will read a thread that says "Play Nice"?

4. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

This was a half joke. I don't expect them to read it. What might be helpful is a stickie titled READ BEFORE POSTING, with a list of all the threads that we are sick of seeing pop up. Then a moderator can just edit it.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

There is already a general purpose sticky to inform folks about what to do though...

6. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

We should start posting that link to everyone with a repost.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK guys. What three topics should be stickied in the iPhone forums?

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Everything you just typed has been posted before.........in the FAQ/Rules........which is very permanent up there ^^^^^

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think the main point of the OP's post was that there's just no reason to be a dick on the forum.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

OMG, are you serious. Someone finally came to help us out?

-What to expect on launch day (what you need to bring and what time you should get in line)
    -What color are you getting and why? (This would probably do better when posted on Friday instead of now)
    -Is it worth upgrading if you already own an iPhone?

11. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea. I know it was before. Hence the joke part of it.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm serious. And I'm sorry if you feel that we've overlooked the place. Let's put some stickies up before Friday that will help with things. :)

13. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I personally don't think there is any topic that needs sticking just yet......but if I had to choose 3, I would say:

* iPhone 3G specs
    * iPhone costs/contracts (could be a difficult one since it is so widely available now)
    * everything firmware 2.0 you need to know

......how you can implement this I have no idea.

Just my thoughts and you can dismiss them as you please.

14. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I agree that's all stuff people are always asking. It makes me wonder if they ever go to the homepage... All of this stuff is there.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On the initial iPhone launch we had just two stickies:

iPhone First Impressions / Reviews
    iPhone Unbox/Setup Photos

These were locked until the day of release or just beforehand...

Thoughts?

16. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

A read before posting sticky in the iPhone and iPod touch forums that holds information on everything known to the public about what 2.0 has and when it will be released to stop these countless nonsense threads.

:)

17. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

1. omgz, wtf, i can't afford this, i hate att, whatev!

2. tell me why i should get the iphone because i can't think for myself!

3. what color should i get because after all, i'll just cover it with a pikachu case and the color will be irrelevant!

18. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I made my last post more readable, sorry :p
    But yeah, I think these three things are the most asked about too, and with just those three things it actually covers alot more stuff than their titles suggest....but like I said, it's just my opinion.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That's until after the iPhone came out. We need something now until launch to answer all the questions, and those same threads again on Friday morning.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Those 2, plus maybe a sticky on pictures and videos and live streaming video?
    Seeing as it's an international launch, it might be fun to see macrumor users from all over the world have a chance to add pictures showing the conditions, add info on stock?

Is there any way to use way back when to check out the threads around the initial launch, to see what might be useful?

I'd imagine there will be a huge desire to have a section for reviews, and recommendations and requests regarding the App Store, which will kick in too -where would they go?

21. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Come Friday, I think having those two stickies will really cut down on repeat threads of the same thing.....assuming people even bother to look at what is stickied :D

22. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Would you agree on my three suggestions?

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

OK, maybe we can put up one master sticky with links in it to other extremely useful threads and maybe three others or so. If people want to give me some links to the best and most useful threads that we have in here, I'll sort that bit out.

I'm happy to read everyone's suggestions, even the funny ones. :D

24. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I think Read Before Posting threads work. Just put all the info in there about the new iPhone (like the homepage I guess, but shorter) and then a list of threads that have been done... With links maybe.