Play/rattle on iPhone 4 volume buttons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I just received my iPhone 4 and noticed some play in both volume button? Is that normal or should they be rock solid and not move an inch?

2. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

They work fine and don't feel broken, but I noticed a slight rattle when I put my phone down sometimes. I figured out it was the volume buttons. I guess it's a bit more noticeable since it's metal on metal?

3. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

4. mattwestside macrumors member

It's disappointing to receive a new, beautiful piece of technology to have random rattles or buttons that have play. But the simple fact of the matter is that some units will have these due to allowable manufacturing tolerances.

Many people have a "wiggly" home button. Meaning, it has side-to-side movement when it's not pushed in. Or, when it is pushed in it has a "squishy" and "indirect" feeling to it. Comparisons to the 3GS have been done and it seems the wiggly home button is new for the IP4, but the rattly/loose sleep/wake and volume buttons are present on all versions of the iPhone.

When I was at the Apple Store, I noticed wiggly buttons on all of their display units, including every single one with a wobbly home button - the one that's touched the most by the user. To me, that type of manufacturing "tolerance" is more like a defect.

Of course, you'll probably get many replies from users saying their buttons are tight and don't exhibit any unintended movement. This is, as they say, the nature of the beast.

5. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

My first phone the "power" button on top rattled but the volumes were rock solid, i returned it for a different reason but my new phone I got last night, one of the volume buttons I can move slightly, it doesnt rattle without actually moving it with my finger, the other is rock solid and the power button is solid. I think its luck of the draw, I am contemplating taking this one back, but the hassle of going back to the ZOO they call the apple store is making me cringe, other wise the phone is good.. would hate to take it back and get real problem on new one.

PS: my 3gs had a very loose "power" button on top, once the case was on i forgot about it though.

6. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

On our 3GS's, my home button would click a little before being pressed, the wife's was just fine. However, the sleep/wake button on her phone rattled a bit and mine was fine. So, yeah unless it becomes a problem I generally don't worry too much about it.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How would you press them? :D

8. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I am talking about VOLUME buttons not home button. My home button is perfectly fine. My 2 volume buttons wiggles a bit when i move them up and down but not when i shake the phone.

A bit disappointed...but not sure it is worth returning it.
    X

9. rsnaider macrumors member

I just got a replacement as well with loose volume buttons. They only move if you actually try to wiggle them but are tight otherwise.

For me the critical buttons are Power and Home and both are tight on this one. I can live the volume buttons as they don't rattle unless I try to make them, and I don't really press them all that often.

10. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

OK thanks for your feedback...exactly the same for me. Maybe your advice and point of view is the wiser one vs. returning it and taking the risk to have a home or on/off button with play...

11. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

So I guess not so many people are having slight play on their volume buttons?
    Tomorrow i will go to the App store and check their demo units, but i remember those i tested did not have any play... they have some play when i move them up and down and right/left but it is not noticeable . I notice that if i old one of them the other does not have play anymore so an assembly issue but still within spec i guess...

Otherwise, nothing else to report...home, on/off, mute buttons are rock solid, no proximity sensor issue. Reception seems OK even though with the death grip on it goes down to 1 bar in some cases but i need to try while calling seeing if i drop calls.

12. bobdigi macrumors regular

My volume buttons are rock solid but my power button has a very slight rattle.

13. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Ok, so I gave in to my OCD and went tonight to exchange my 2nd phone because of the semi loose volume button. While waiting, I tested every demo unit there. ALL of them had loose volume buttons to some degree - either the top or the bottom or both - except for one - I believe I looked at about 10 phones.

After this i was like, damn figuring i wouldnt get a new one without this tiny, but annoying issue.. but I held on and waited.. and waited till finally it was my turn, to the same guy who exchanged my phone just yesterday. Felt like a dumbass for doing it.. "uh gimme a new one - one of my buttons kinda moves around a bit" ..but I did it anyway.. guy was super nice, said no problems, out comes the "mystery" black box and guess what?

The new phone is tight on all buttons, no jiggles or wiggles! Score! So yeah, a phone with no loose buttons is possible, but given that MANY have it, its gonna be tough, I think I got lucky. But if it bothers you, go in and exchange :)

14. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

You are right, I am just an OCD person but I know it is a real issue to have a slight rattle on the volume buttons especially as it only does it if i try to make it happen...
    The isse is that we are stil out of stock and the day they wil have some they give me one right away. I will have to go throygh the lenghty process of returning it and wait for another one for several days...
    And what about the possibility to get a wrse version with a rattling home or on/off button...
    Damn OCD and non decision making process...:eek:

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I had a similar problem. I thought the volume buttons felt a little weird but didn't worry about it too much until I put a bumper on there. I really had to press hard for the lower volume button to work. I returned the bumper (which sucked by the way, but thats for another thread) and the genius agreed that the volume buttons were loose and seemed kinda recessed into the phone. He gave me a brand new iPhone 4 that came in a different box than a normal purchased phone but he said it was brand new since they don't have refurbished ones yet.

16. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Hmm, I'm gonna give it some more time but I may try to exchange. Depends on if it gets worse or becomes annoying. I was just gonna accept it but it sounds like there are some perfect models.

17. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

none of my buttons have any give or rattle at all

18. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Wow!

This thread is over 24 hrs old, and over 17 posts, as of this writing.

Not a single smart - ass has appeared to spew venom or childish criticism.

How refreshing... :)

19. Learjetz macrumors newbie

I am on my 8th iP4. The first one I returned because of a rattling home button and continued to get worse iPhones as time went on. The iPhone I have now has rock solid buttons. Its the first iP4 Ive had where the buttons are completely solid, no play. Unfortunately, there is a spec of dust laminated between the glass and the display. I am going to swap this out tomorrow. Ive had 2 proximity sensor issues. 2 screens with dead pixels,.. two phones with dust in the screen and a phone with a rattling sleep/wake button. A little play in the buttons is fine and is going to come up with such tiny buttons in tiny places. But when they rattle and feel really loose it gets annoying.

Just remember, the customer is always right and its still the first month. You can return these phones until you get one you want. There is no restocking fee. Hopefully apple has better quality control with the next iPhone. Ive owned all the models of the iPhone since buying the original on the release day. I have never had the problems I have with the iP4 with the previous models. I feel like they rushed the iP4 out the door without good quality control.

20. erik.thor21 macrumors newbie

I'm on my 25th iPhone 4 and I think I finally got a keeper.

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm pretty ocd but 8 phones? If your only issue is a single spec of dust at this point, I'd keep it. I've swapped my phone a couple times and I'd be ecstatic if the only issue I have is a single spec of dust. I have a semi loose sleep/wake button but at this point, I'm just going to deal with it since the rest of the phone is great compared to the ones I've swapped previously.

22. bluush macrumors 6502

Every single iPhone4 I've handled has a very very faint rattle when you tap the phone in the right way. I refuse to believe any rational human could possibly take issue with this.

23. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

This is my dilemma as well...the thing is what is the % to get a "perfect" vs. a similar/worse one...argggghhh!:mad:

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said !

I believe Apple rushed the iP4 to market due to the impending release we are seeing of Android phones.*

Apple has great intelligence on what the other companies are doing, this is the first year that there has been a true competitive threat to Apple. So instead of taking their time to fully debug iP4, it got pushed out the door and it shows. I am very disgusted with this model, as well as the way Jobs has acted. My 3Gs was a far better phone.*

25. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Just to report out my visit to the Apple store in order to check buttons...
    There was about 20 iPhone 4 on display but could only check 6 or 7...too many people around playing with them.
    Conclusion is that almost all have one or two buttons with play, either the volume buttons, home or lock/unlock. I found maybe 2 that did not have any button with play.
    So again, my home and lock/unlock buttoms are rock solid but both my volume buttoms have play when i touch them...having that said the chance to get a replaced one with play either in volume or other buttom is not low...