Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Yeah they'll all do that, the buttons need room to be pushed in otherwise it'd be so tight they couldn't move at all.

sleyeu

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I am talking about VOLUME buttons not home button. My home button is perfectly fine. My 2 volume buttons wiggles a bit when i move them up and down but not when i shake the phone.

A bit disappointed...but not sure it is worth returning it.
X

i have it...

not too much of a problem as everything else works and the antenna issue only hapens when im in a low signal area and normally i still have 1 bar signal left.

Training myself to hold it the right way xD

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
I am on my 8th iP4. The first one I returned because of a rattling home button and continued to get worse iPhones as time went on. The iPhone I have now has rock solid buttons. Its the first iP4 Ive had where the buttons are completely solid, no play. Unfortunately, there is a spec of dust laminated between the glass and the display. I am going to swap this out tomorrow. Ive had 2 proximity sensor issues. 2 screens with dead pixels,.. two phones with dust in the screen and a phone with a rattling sleep/wake button. A little play in the buttons is fine and is going to come up with such tiny buttons in tiny places. But when they rattle and feel really loose it gets annoying.

Just remember, the customer is always right and its still the first month. You can return these phones until you get one you want. There is no restocking fee. Hopefully apple has better quality control with the next iPhone. Ive owned all the models of the iPhone since buying the original on the release day. I have never had the problems I have with the iP4 with the previous models. I feel like they rushed the iP4 out the door without good quality control.

I'm on my 25th iPhone 4 and I think I finally got a keeper.

overdramatic much? my first is perfect

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Yeah they'll all do that, the buttons need room to be pushed in otherwise it'd be so tight they couldn't move at all.

No they do not all do that...some volume buttons have some (more or less) play when you move up/down/left/right...for instance mine when i move the bottom one up the top one moves up as well..slightly...some do not have any play. It is manufacturing variance...which might be within spec but still a bit frustrating to see that some have 0 play while some have. But it is less bothering than having play in the home button. I would not accept any.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
No they do not all do that...some volume buttons have some (more or less) play when you move up/down/left/right...for instance mine when i move the bottom one up the top one moves up as well..slightly...some do not have any play. It is manufacturing variance...which might be within spec but still a bit frustrating to see that some have 0 play while some have. But it is less bothering than having play in the home button. I would not accept any.

I meant they'll all do it sooner or later, one may tight now but with more use they'll loosen up. It doesn't bother me though I kinda like it haha. Anyway, how's France? :)

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Anyway, how's France? :)

Not bad at all ;) 30 degrees celcius in Paris, blue sky and the second Apple store opening within a few months! I plan going there before heading to bars watching the soccer world cup final game.

I like your optimisic non OCD volume button play view :rolleyes:

PS: my 3GS volume rocker button never had any play even over time, even though I remember some complaining about that last year at launch...

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Not bad at all ;) 30 degrees celcius in Paris, blue sky and the second Apple store opening within a few months! I plan going there before heading to bars watching the soccer world cup final game.

I like your optimisic non OCD volume button play view :rolleyes:

PS: my 3GS volume rocker button never had any play even over time, even though I remember some complaining about that last year at launch...

Sounds Awesome! The Paris store looks amazing :D haha yeah among all the other things that peeved me about the iPhone 4 the volume buttons were the least :) Yeah that's true my 3G still doesn't but it's a different set of buttons so maybe Apple will see it if it's enough of an issue.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just received my iPhone 4 and noticed some play in both volume button? Is that normal or should they be rock solid and not move an inch?

If your buttons are moving an inch, then you might have a problem! Heh.

Seriously though, my 3GS buttons rattled (especially the mute switch) and my iPhone 4 was perfect. Unfortunately, my bumper's buttons do rattle somewhat, making the perfection beneath kinda pointless. I am considering returning my bumper for another type of case though.

Wizkidroger

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Hi all, new to the site and probably won't post all the time but I thought I would share my experience!

I was so excited about the iPhone 3G then the 3GS and now of course the ip4!

3G had loose sleep/wake but as it was my first I thought nothing of it.

Then when I got my first 3GS I noticed my sleep/wake and volume and silent buttons were loose. I had about 15 replacements all new and evey single one had it's own problems.

To add to it the whiteness of every screen on each replacement was totally different.

I finally got a 3GS I could live with!

Now I am using my new ip4. It's the second one I have had in 2 weeks. First one home button started doing things it shouldn't when pressed. And the home button was loose.

I had to replace it because the button was not working correctly.

My replacement has tight buttons apart from both volume up and down which are loose.

I too have looked at about 20 ip4s at the apple store. The quality of most is much worse than mine.

I am going to live with the volume buttons I think!

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Both volume buttons are rock solid but my lock button rattles and makes a slight noise when I shake the phone or manually try to move the lock button

Seems common...

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
I have an appointment to the genius bar tomorrow. I still hate the idea to see my volume buttons loose...but it seems very comon to have at least one of the three buttons (home/lock/volume) loose...and to me the volume button being a bit loose is the more acceptable among others. Nevertheless it bothers me :eek:

So i will first see what the genius tells me, if he is enclined to swap it i will check if i can open the new iPhone in front of him to validate it has not loose buttons otherwise keep mine...all this assuming they have some stock...which is far from being sure.

Learjetz

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
After having been through 8 phones, I wouldnt worry about loose buttons unless they feel like they are going to fall out. I would get the phone replaced if there are dead pixels or dust in between the glass and the screen. The vast majority of the phones I have seen,.. 20-30 have had loose buttons. I feel like the phones that seemed sturdy will become loose after a few months of use.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Wow, for the first time I got lucky with apple rev A hardware. My iPhone4 is rock solid all around. No complaints at all.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
this is my third iphone (first iphone had the yellow blotches that wouldn't go away after a week, second one had the noise canceling issue where no one can hear me unless i use the speakerphone) and on the first 2, the silent switch rattled. now everything is tight except my volume buttons has a slight give. it doesn't rattle but if you nudge it, it moves a bit. i'm not going to return it since everything else is finally perfect but if the nudging gets worst (which i doubt), then i probably will exchange it before the 30 days is up.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Folks, here is my update from today's Apple Store visit...for what it worth.

As a reminder I gave in to my OCD and decided to go to the Apple Store for an exchange due to my loose volume buttons (my definition of loose = both buttons are moving when you move them up/down/left/right and when you tune up/down the volume you sometime feels it is not rock solid...if you pay attention to it like an OCD geek I am...but do not when you shake the phone). My other buttons are rock solid.

Before meeting with the genuis i checked this time about 20 iPhones (on display). I found 3 that had no loose button at all (home/lock/volume/mute). All the others had either 1, 2 or 3 loose buttons...not a good start.
The genius was very nice and agreed to say my volume buttons were loose. He showed me 4 new phones.
Phone 1: the top volume button was very very slightly loose but the lock button was loose and the home one was fine just like mine
Phone 2: volume buttons loose, lock button loose, home button loose
The genius did not want to open more phones...I insisted a bit and said OK for a third one...
Phone 3: Same as #1
He said he can't show me more phones...i insisted again...and said OK...a very patient guy.
Phone 4: No...you will not read "yeahhhh it is perfect!!!" as it was not. It was like phone #2 with a very loose lock button.
I insisted again with no luck...so as I could not make up my mind and told myself it would be stupid to exchange my phone for another with less loose volume buttons but one or two of the others were worse than my current iP4 i decided to keep my iPhone.

So i am going to live with it, being disappointed not to be lucky enough to get one of the few perfect iP4...he told me i can come back if it realy bothers me within the 30 days period. Maybe I will do, maybe not...but I will wait for my wife's iP4 next week and hope hers is perfect so i can steal it :-0 :)
X

mmyers0520

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
USA
On our 3GS's, my home button would click a little before being pressed

x2 on my 3G..but on the new one all buttons are pretty solid. maybe try a case that covers all buttons (i have a rocketfish and it does), that might hold them in place if you have a rattling issue that's nagging you

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm having issues with my sleep/wake button. It rattles when I lay my phone down and also when the phone vibrates. I think I might have to roll the dice and exchange.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I am on my 8th iP4. The first one I returned because of a rattling home button

When you guys say rattling home button - do you mean play as in wiggling a bit side to side? Or do you mean a clicking noise?

I noticed my home button makes a click sound when its pressed, I dont know if thats how it should be and loosen up over time....or if the clicking will get louder.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
When you guys say rattling home button - do you mean play as in wiggling a bit side to side? Or do you mean a clicking noise?

I noticed my home button makes a click sound when its pressed, I dont know if thats how it should be and loosen up over time....or if the clicking will get louder.

I checked the i4's at the apple store and almost every single one of them, the home button, i could slide side to side.. not a clicking noise. Although the store is pretty loud so idk..

Flyfunner5

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
My volume buttons are rattling. And i want to exchange it but I don't. I'm afraid i'll get one worse with yellow pictures or signal problems like my dads. Sometimes when I set it down it also rattles because of the metal on metal contact of the volume buttons. + I already put a full shield around the whole thing. Sigh.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
My volume buttons are rattling. And i want to exchange it but I don't. I'm afraid i'll get one worse with yellow pictures or signal problems like my dads. Sometimes when I set it down it also rattles because of the metal on metal contact of the volume buttons. + I already put a full shield around the whole thing. Sigh.

Yes keep it. I have been trying to exchange it many times and Apple Genius showed me multiple phones for an exchanged. Mine only has the volume buttons rattling but no rattle on the home or lock buttons. All others I was offered for the exchanged has more issues more buttons rattling, etc...my g/f received her iP4 2 weeks ago and eventhough the volume buttons almost do not rattle (less than mine) there is a lot of play in the lock button and a bit of play on the home button. So i decided to keep mine and finally got used to the volume buttons rattling telling myself that i could have gotten much worse iP4 making me more OCD than I already am.

ahm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
Folks, here is my update from today's Apple Store visit...for what it worth.

As a reminder I gave in to my OCD and decided to go to the Apple Store for an exchange due to my loose volume buttons (my definition of loose = both buttons are moving when you move them up/down/left/right and when you tune up/down the volume you sometime feels it is not rock solid...if you pay attention to it like an OCD geek I am...but do not when you shake the phone). My other buttons are rock solid.

Before meeting with the genuis i checked this time about 20 iPhones (on display). I found 3 that had no loose button at all (home/lock/volume/mute). All the others had either 1, 2 or 3 loose buttons...not a good start.
The genius was very nice and agreed to say my volume buttons were loose. He showed me 4 new phones.
Phone 1: the top volume button was very very slightly loose but the lock button was loose and the home one was fine just like mine
Phone 2: volume buttons loose, lock button loose, home button loose
The genius did not want to open more phones...I insisted a bit and said OK for a third one...
Phone 3: Same as #1
He said he can't show me more phones...i insisted again...and said OK...a very patient guy.
Phone 4: No...you will not read "yeahhhh it is perfect!!!" as it was not. It was like phone #2 with a very loose lock button.
I insisted again with no luck...so as I could not make up my mind and told myself it would be stupid to exchange my phone for another with less loose volume buttons but one or two of the others were worse than my current iP4 i decided to keep my iPhone.

So i am going to live with it, being disappointed not to be lucky enough to get one of the few perfect iP4...he told me i can come back if it realy bothers me within the 30 days period. Maybe I will do, maybe not...but I will wait for my wife's iP4 next week and hope hers is perfect so i can steal it :-0 :)
X

Wow... wow... that guy must have been on massive amounts of tranquilizers to not punch you in the face and quit his job on the spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.